AR-15 Upper holes don't line up w/lower pins

That's actually a fair point, although I haven't seen too many lowers come standard with that screw, unless they are custom billet versions.

I've seen some standard with them added .

Heck if the reamer makes it too sloppy which it shouldn't . Could just buy a wedge off amazon for 5$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been out of the loop w/a back injury. When I connect the upper to the lower w/the front pin I close it and it appears the two surfaces aren't even. The front of the upper is contacting the lower and I can see daylight towards the back. The two surfaces don't appear to be level/even. I tried to install the upper on the NES lower that was part of the group buy years ago and haven't heard of anyone complain about the holes being off. As I stated the upper on my other AR fits on the NES lower so I don't think it's the lower. The upper and lower surfaces don't appear to be parallel. I'll bring it back to the store tomorrow and ask them to refund my money or order me another one.

Last edited:
Brought the upper back to the gunshop and the owner looked it over and said the holes were slightly off and it happens all the time. He took a small mallet and tapped the rear pin in. Then we needed a pin punch to knock it back out. At least the upper and lower don't rattle.

You are actually dealing with 10 different dimensions with this problem -
X, Y and diameter or the rear hole in lower;
X, Y and diameter of front hole in upper;
X, Y, radius and length of oval hole on rear of upper (yes, it's supposed to be an oval, not a round hole.)

Will all of that, it's not tough to see why there would be a stack of tolerances to cause a problem.

Ha Ha Ha Ha. I had an olympic upper that was an absolute tack driver. But its holes were out of spec. I sold it off after not too long.
My Olympic story happened in an Sig Academy class for AR Armory cert. They didn’t have AR’s at the time but they offered an Armorers cert. I was sitting there with I’m guessing 9 other guys all PD. 1 or 2 chiefs. One chief had a Rock and Roll lower. They were going around the room talking up all the rigs they brought to the class where we were all nubs banging on shit with hammers. They got to me and I said yea I brought my olympic because it was the cheapest rig I had. I figured if we were disassembling and reassembling things and I smashed my lower I wouldn’t have real reason to cry. The guy with the 3rd hole looked a little sheepish about having to work on his bragging rights after that.

I still have that rifle and Thankfully it’s in spec.

My Olympic story happened in an Sig Academy class for AR Armory cert. They didn’t have AR’s at the time but they offered an Armorers cert. I was sitting there with I’m guessing 9 other guys all PD. 1 or 2 chiefs. One chief had a Rock and Roll lower. They were going around the room talking up all the rigs they brought to the class where we were all nubs banging on shit with hammers. They got to me and I said yea I brought my olympic because it was the cheapest rig I had. I figured if we were disassembling and reassembling things and I smashed my lower I wouldn’t have real reason to cry. The guy with the 3rd hole looked a little sheepish about having to work on his bragging rights after that.

FIFY

IMG_2859.jpeg

Last edited:

This is what I emphasize when people bring up buying a pre-ban Oly lower on Gunbroker or somewhere else. Oly didn't consistently make crap. Some of them, when the tolerances stacked in a fortuitous way, were awesome. And others were a mess. The problem was QC and the lack of consistency when you don't have good QA.

My pre-ban Oly lower was in spec and worked great.

My pre-ban Oly upper had out of spec holes but the headspace and chamber were deliciously snug and the thing shot like a laser.

Last edited:
I finally decided to finish my NES AR and ordered a upper receiver from a Western Ma. gun shop. Picked it up Saturday and when I got home and tried to mate them up a no-go I installed the upper and pushed the front pin in and couldn't get the rear pin thru. I've installed another upper on the NES lower and no problem so it's the upper receiver. Called the gun shop and told them to order me another one and they told me to bring it to show them. I'm not happy. The barrel is stamped BFI, 1-9 twist. Anyone else have this problem?
Check the buffer tube installation. Mine was one rotation in too far and I had this problem.

edit: damn necro threads, either way, my situation was as stated above.

Does that link actually work for you? Or are the libs messing with my internet traffic? I need to buy more tinfoil.

Hanging on my office wall. You can see fan, windows, etc in reflection.

Attachments

• IMG_4658.jpeg
    IMG_4658.jpeg
    839.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4646.jpeg
    IMG_4646.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom