• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR 15 restrictions

Hey I'm looking into getting my first guns and have just started doing research and getting as many suggestions as possible. One which im pretty settled on is an AR-15, probably M&P. Looking on S&W they have their regular sporting rifles and they have their CT compliant rifles. These are two that I am looking at specifically. The first is CT compliant and the other apparently is not.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...72661_772659_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Obviously my biggest concern is getting something that will be compliant but also quality. Looking at these two, the only differences I can see for sure is that the regular sporting version has a collapsible stock + 30rd detachable magazine while the compliant rifle has fixed stock and a 10rd magazine. After looking at the regulations the only reason i can figure one is compliant while the other is not is that they have a pistol grip. Is this true?

Another AR15 ive come across is here.

http://www.cmcgov.com/store/pc/S-W-M-P15-SPT-556NATO-16-30RD-FLD-371p15885.htm

Would this be compliant since it is fixed? Thanks!

CT laws with ARs are simple. If its preban, you're in the clear with any manufacturer. If you want the S&W sport, which I have and absolutely love, here's the laws as defined in your state :

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher;

So,the M&P has a pistol grip, bayonet lug, and has a collapsible stock. Your state has no mag restrictions, so if you found a fixed stock post ban AR, buy it [grin]

Sent from my POS iPhone

Last edited:
Thanks! I was looking at those rules as well, just wasnt completely sure it had pistol grib let alone a bayonet lug haha

Welcome to NES!

After looking at the regulations the only reason i can figure one is compliant while the other is not is that they have a pistol grip. Is this true?

No, the second and third link are not CT compliant due to having an adjustable stock, bayonet lug and threaded barrel/flash hider.

...if you found a fixed stock post ban AR without a bayonet lug or threaded barrel/flash hider, that isn't a Colt AR-15 or Sporter, buy it [grin]

FIFY

Ahh, I missed that. I know nothing about the CT laws except the lack of mag restrictions. I had to look up the laws in the Conn. website. Colt must not agree to deal with CT or something? That's really strange.

Skiny,

Since you already have the law, hopefully I can help you boil it down to practical restrictions.

A CT compliant AR 15 in otherwise standard form can't have a a threaded bbl, flash hider, bayonet lug or telescoping stock.

I prefer to have a muzzle brake/compensator on my post-ban ARs rather than a plain muzzle. A decent brake can be very effective at reducing muzzle rise and allows you to stay on target while shooting faster. It also protects the muzzle and looks nicer.

Removing a bayonet lug is obvious and doesn't really affect functionality of the rifle.

The link you provided didn't come up right for me, but I'll wing it anyway. I'm guessing its got a pinned telescoping stock. So it looks like it retracts but it does not. they are fine. I prefer a standard A2 style stock, but its hard to get a gun this way these days.

Hopefully this helps.
Fire away if you have any more question. I'm happy to help.

Don

p.s. most "post ban" configured guns also include a 10 round mag, even though this is not required for CT. They do this because then one product can be sold into MA, CT, NY, and NJ without having to have a separate SKU for CT only which would include all the post ban features with a high cap mag. So if you get a post ban gun and it comes with a 10 round mag. just tuck it away somewhere and go buy some 20s and 30s. No restricitons on mags in CT.

Back
Top Bottom