AR-15 Dedicated to 22LR

So any guidance on building a 22LR rifle?
AR-15 Lower w/22LR upper?
Sorta like a CT Other? OK as long as you don’t put a larger caliber upper on it?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Perfectly legal provided you adhere to the OLD ban. (1 evil feature allowed) not the new ban (0 evil features allowed)

After PA13-3 was passed in haste, there were a lot of errors that were corrected with PA13-220.

In that legislation some tweaks were made that resulted in this change.

The result is that you can make a .22 AR but it can't have threaded bbl or flash hider. (so you could have a plain muzzle or a pinned/welded muzzle brake.) Or a telescoping stock.

So it needs to be configured like the old post ban guns.

Thanks, I had registered my son’s Sig 522 as a AW. With all its evil its still an AW.

Here's how it works.

Simple as differential calculus.

If you bought a semiauto gun between 94 and 2013 it needed to comply with the old Federal style AWB. 1 evil feature.

After PA13-3 passed, these guns were reclassified as AWs. And you were required to register them.

Since they were now AWs, a registered "post ban" gun could now be converted to pre ban configuration.

So if you have an AR of any kind that was set up as post ban and registered by 1/1/2014, then you can convert it to preban config.

If one of these guns is a .22. the smart thing to do would be to repurpose that registered lower and build a centerfire gun. Then buy a new lower and use it for the "Post ban" style rimfire gun.

“If one of these guns is a .22. the smart thing to do would be to repurpose that registered lower and build a centerfire gun. Then buy a new lower and use it for the "Post ban" style rimfire gun.”
Only problem is the Sig 522 is a 22lr only and can’t be converted. Still a fun pinker, Appleseed gun.

If you like appleseed, you may find this interesting. I was trying to make a sighted gun with a long barrel for not a ton of money. I bought a Lipseys distributor exclusive 10/22 with a 22 inch barrel for a nice long sight radius.

Then I sent it to CT Precision Chamber for his $180 10/22 overhaul. He trues the bolt, rechambers the stock barrel, recrowns the stock barrel and does a trigger job. It transforms the gun.

$250 - gun
$200 for CPC work
$60 for tec sights.

$510. Less than a "target" 10/22 from the factory and much more accurate. And I can practice open sight - 3 position shooting.

Though on this particular gun I had him add a recessed muzzle and then thread the bbl 1/2x28 for use with a can.

Back
Top Bottom