AR-15 Question

Why you getting the Flaming Pig? You do realize the Pig was designed for SBR's right? Or are you going to SBR the lower?

Actually I didn't know it was designed for SBR's I just like the way it looks to be honest I doubt it's anymore effective than the Smith .

Find Remsport in the dealer section, John will build you a custom AR at about the same price it will cost to get one off the shelf. He's built some great guns for me.

John is a great guy , in fact he put that rifle together for me. His collection of firearms in extremely impressive.

Well for what it's worth, I built a really nice M4-gery for under $900.00....It's not "Supermoto Approved", but enough folks around here have had their hands on it to extol it's virtue...I think it will compete with any off the shelf rifle - in form, fit, function, reliability and especially accuracy - this thing is a laser beam.

Look into a Sabre Defence barrel - I have am M4 1:7 and it's really nice

BCM also puts out a nice barrel and it's where I bought my BCM M-16 BCG - a must have for an M4.

With lowers and uppers being easy to find and fairly consistent in quality, you can add a decent LPK and slide in around $87.85 for the upper receiver, (BCM) and complete, (you'll need to pin the stock) lower BCM's going for $350, you're on your way. You can also truly do it yourself and buy a stripped lower from S&W, Remsport, etc, add LPK and get to it...

Well for what it's worth, I built a really nice M4-gery for under $900.00....It's not "Supermoto Approved", but enough folks around here have had their hands on it to extol it's virtue...I think it will compete with any off the shelf rifle - in form, fit, function, reliability and especially accuracy - this thing is a laser beam.

Look into a Sabre Defence barrel - I have am M4 1:7 and it's really nice

BCM also puts out a nice barrel and it's where I bought my BCM M-16 BCG - a must have for an M4.

With lowers and uppers being easy to find and fairly consistent in quality, you can add a decent LPK and slide in around $87.85 for the upper receiver, (BCM) and complete, (you'll need to pin the stock) lower BCM's going for $350, you're on your way. You can also truly do it yourself and buy a stripped lower from S&W, Remsport, etc, add LPK and get to it...

Good deal . That's what I'm building now just a K.I.S.S. rifle I actually just built the lower myself which was pretty cool. I've heard good things about the Sabre barrels are the pricey?

Good deal . That's what I'm building now just a K.I.S.S. rifle I actually just built the lower myself which was pretty cool. I've heard good things about the Sabre barrels are the pricey?

Pricey is relative...I got mine at Bravo Company for short money, ($250.00) (didn't have anything but the gas tube). I think complete, they are $350.00..They are a nice barrel.

K.I.S.S That's what mine is. Basic, accurate, dependable. My next build is going to be a bit more diabolical, but this is easily my favorite carbine - and not just because it's mine...[wink]

DSCN0066.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

Pricey is relative...I got mine at Bravo Company for short money, ($250.00) (didn't have anything but the gas tube). I think complete, they are $350.00..They are a nice barrel.

K.I.S.S That's what mine is. Basic, accurate, dependable. My next build is going to be a bit more diabolical, but this is easily my favorite carbine - and not just because it's mine...[wink]

DSCN0066.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

Nice rifle ! I especially like the lower that's awesome.

Well for what it's worth, I built a really nice M4-gery for under $900.00....It's not "Supermoto Approved",

That was before the pictures, Now that I have seen it, I think it's.... wait, hold on, I better stop before you have one of your Mod buddies give me another infraction. [rofl]

Do you guys think its cheaper to build an AR or just buy one complete? I am not looking for a crazy expensive AR, maybe one in the $800-850 range. Realistically by the time you buy the lower, LPK, stock and it's parts, and the upper, would it be cheaper to just buy one complete?

If you go with a full, finished weapon, you can easily get one for the $850 range.

But, you can also build one in that range, knowing what features are important for you. Just as an example, I recently finished mine (minus glass) for just shy $1000. If I were to buy the same thing on a gunbroker.com classified, I'd be looking at 13-1400.

YMMV.

Why you getting the Flaming Pig? You do realize the Pig was designed for SBR's right? Or are you going to SBR the lower?

Thats not entirely right. The goal was also to lessen the concussion to the shooter by directing the blast forward. This is much more necessary on a SBR.

So while the KX3 (or any Krink style muzzle device) works great on a SBR, it wasn't "designed for SBR's".

Re the OP's question. There is an 11% excise tax paid on every firearm sold. If you buy parts, that tax is never paid. In some cases its cheapest to buy a complete lower and a complete upper.

For what its worth, I've seen complete Stag rifles going for $700ish lately. Thats a great price on an excellent rifle. Don't forget that stag's sister company, continental machine and tool, has been an OEM in the AR business for decades.

For example. A quick check of stag's web site shows a complete upper for $465 and a complete lower for $285. That gives a MSRP of $750. Check out their web site and look at the "upper half" and "lower half" section.

Finally, Stag's made right here in CT. Always good to support a local company.
Don

Last edited:
Thats not entirely right. The goal was also to lessen the concussion to the shooter by directing the blast forward. This is much more necessary on a SBR.

Didn't know that aspect.

Re the OP's question. There is an 11% excise tax paid on every firearm sold. If you buy parts, that tax is never paid. In some cases its cheapest to buy a complete lower and a complete upper.

But do remember, the excise tax paid goes DIRECTLY back into F&W budget and NOT into a general fund. Some of that money actually pays for upkeep on public ranges in other states.

Back
Top Bottom