AR-15 Question

Do you guys think its cheaper to build an AR or just buy one complete? I am not looking for a crazy expensive AR, maybe one in the $800-850 range. Realistically by the time you buy the lower, LPK, stock and it's parts, and the upper, would it be cheaper to just buy one complete?

I think it depends on the quality of the components you use to build it.
Then you have to take into consideration your time - the wait for parts - etc.

I would say you could get away in that price range going either way for an Entry level AR.

Do you guys think its cheaper to build an AR or just buy one complete? I am not looking for a crazy expensive AR, maybe one in the $800-850 range. Realistically by the time you buy the lower, LPK, stock and it's parts, and the upper, would it be cheaper to just buy one complete?

I think it would be tough to find a complete rifle in that price range.

I think it depends on the quality of the components you use to build it.
Then you have to take into consideration your time - the wait for parts - etc.

I would say you could get away in that price range going either way for an Entry level AR.

What he said. I'm building one right now. Its around the same price but now you know exactly what's in your AR and its more fun then just buying one imho.

Dirtypacman nailed it, the thing about the AR is that it is so easy to customize it, and the quality of the parts will come into play so what are you going to do with it? SHTF or just a sunday range gun?

I have two AR's with over $1k spent into them each right now and will be closer and over $2k when I finally get the optics on them. A lot of money but I built these rifles from the ground up for a SHTF type scenario and to be run hard and reliable.

Just some food for thought, if you decide to replace your handguards with rails your looking already at about $150+ (depending on length and mfg) just for the rails.

FWIW I bought my first AR complete. I'm now in the process of building my second with the NES Lower. I figure this build is going to cost me about $700. I've been bargain hunting for everything. At the stores I am starting to see some decent ARs for around the $800 mark.
One last thought. If the SHTF and I really need the rifle, I would most likely grab the factory built gun. At least until I'm sure my build is reliable.

Building will only be cheaper if you stick to a strict budget of cheap parts.

Otherwise you'll likely end up making it more expensive than it would be
otherwise... because the temptation to add good parts is hard to resist. [grin]

-Mike

I was looking to build an AR months back and was getting ready to buy the components, but a fellow member here was selling his for right around your stated price range, so I got that. Just your basic AR, Bushmaster upper, Frankford lower, not sure what the LPK is, but it runs pissa and is all I was looking for. So they're out there, keep looking if you don't want to spend the time building one.

IMG_1729.jpg

Last edited:
i had the debate with myself also. I could buy a 20" AR from Stag for 900+ but i want a free float barrel and iron sights with the ability to add a scope. So i would have spent 900 for the gun, $150 for the rail, $30-$50 for a new gas block, $100 for a new front sight. So now i'm in 1300. What i ended up doing was building my own with a stainless barrel, free float rail, and it will end up costing me about $1000 with no extra parts i won't use.

I've built several, and the range has typically been between $600 and $700 complete.

The best build of all was my 9mm AR. To buy a complete 9mm AR as a new gun would have cost me much more than the $750 it cost to build mine up from parts, then again I did wait almost 8 months for the 9mm bolt group during the peak of the insanity.

You should be able to find a decent used one in that range.

I was thinking for the upper i would go with the 2H model...MA compliant obvouisly.

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

Would this upper work well with a Spike's lower? Was thinking of getting the $90.00 stripped lower. I don't know a whole bunch about ARs so any insight would be helpful.

This AR would be a range AR. I don't have the funds to really "soup" this AR up. I dont want cheap parts in the rifle, but don't feel it is necessary to go crazy with expensive parts either.

You can find complete M&P15's online for that price if you look hard enough.

I decided to buy mine. I figured that by the time I finish customizing it, I will have enough left over parts to get me started on a second one.

Disclaimer: I'm not so sure about this place (they sent me used mags as "new" once.) Caveat emptor.

CDNNSW.jpg

I was thinking for the upper i would go with the 2H model...MA compliant obvouisly.

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

Would this upper work well with a Spike's lower? Was thinking of getting the $90.00 stripped lower. I don't know a whole bunch about ARs so any insight would be helpful.

This AR would be a range AR. I don't have the funds to really "soup" this AR up. I dont want cheap parts in the rifle, but don't feel it is necessary to go crazy with expensive parts either.

Stag makes a great product and i have dealt with Pete at AR15 Sales and he's top notch. I believe there will be a $30 additional charge for the Mass neutering. Get the lower for $90 and buy that complete kit from Pete and you are good to go for less than $800

A new MA-complaint Bushmaster XM15 e2S carbine with detachable carry handle can be purchased for $900 and change.

-MS

Last edited:
A $3600+ Ar15? i guess I'd have to say:

[pics]

bushy-3.jpg
[/IMG]

bushy-2.jpg
[/IMG]

bushy-4.jpg
[/IMG]

bushy-5.jpg
[/IMG]

These are older pics , since these I've added a Magpul B.A.D. lever , Magpul a.s.a.p sling adapter , Magpul MS2 sling , and Larue index clips.

The build is as follows

Pre-ban Bushmaster lower
Magpul enhanced triggerguard
KNS anti-rotational pins
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul b.a.d lever
Magpul CTR stock ( mil-spec )
Magpul a.s.a.p
Magpul MS2 sling
Vltor MUR upper
LMT bolt carrier group
LMT charging handle
Badger tactical latch
Noveske MP bolt
Noveske 16.1 recon barrel
Smith Vortex flash hider ( soon to be changed for a Novseske flaming pig )
Larue 11" free float handguard
Larue index clips
Larue/Troy back-up iron sights
Aimpoint Comp ML3 on a Larue mount
Aimpoint 3X magnifier on a Larue swivel mount
Larue F.U.G

I think that's it for now lol everything with the exception of the lower was brand new. The only things I will be adding is definitely a Surefire flashlight , and two maybes , are a Redi-mag and a Harris bipod on a Larue mount oh and I plan on swaping to a Bravo Company BCG and when all is said and done a nice hard case .

Last edited:
Find Remsport in the dealer section, John will build you a custom AR at about the same price it will cost to get one off the shelf. He's built some great guns for me.

I'm building another AR as we speak and when all is said and done it should be brought in around $900

If you're thinking of building it yourself you can get some real good deals on parts on here as well as AR15.com's equipment exchange .

The new build will have to be Mass neutered but I got a complete Bushmaster pinned stock on ARF.com for $40 bucks shipped with the castle nut , end plate buffer & spring !! and a Colt carry handle for $50 bucks shipped.

A pair of double heat shield Colt handguards for $30 bucks shipped , the rest of the parts I bought new but I was hunting for bargains best I could. Bravo Company A3 upper for around $100 , a Stag lower for $175 , the Stag lower parts kit I kind of took a beating on ( $100 shipped )

I just need a barrel & hardware and I have another AR but with work slowing down and Christmas around the corner I don't think it will be done for a while .

But good luck either way you do it and post pics.

Back
Top Bottom