AR-15 Noob question...

btnh6668

NES Member
I pretty much have a good understanding of the basic field strip of the gun. My question is how to clean the gas tube? I haven't the slightest idea. I have been trying to find an instructional video on it but all the cleaning videos Ive seen doesn't include the cleaning of the gas tube. I know where it is on the gun, cleaning it and getting to it is another story all together. HELP please.

Every year or two I do a ridiculous cleaning on my ARs. This is the only time I clean the gas tube. I just shoot brake cleaner through it using the supplied nozzle. Two or three good squirts about 2 minutes apart to let it soak in loosen everything up, then about 5 minutes later, empty the can through it. Make sure to let it dry thoroughly, then proceed with normal barrel and chamber cleaning. It has worked for me so far.

Every year or two I do a ridiculous cleaning on my ARs. This is the only time I clean the gas tube. I just shoot brake cleaner through it using the supplied nozzle. Two or three good squirts about 2 minutes apart to let it soak in loosen everything up, then about 5 minutes later, empty the can through it. Make sure to let it dry thoroughly, then proceed with normal barrel and chamber cleaning. It has worked for me so far.

So you don't put anything through the gas tube except for the cleaner?

I've never cleaned my gas tube with anything but brake cleaner, and even then, only once in perhaps 5000+ rounds. I've heard of some people getting a piece of something stuck in the tube and on their first range outing, starting a little fire inside their gun. Don't sweat it. The pressure from the rounds usually blasts out anything stuck in there, unless it's massively flammable.

Would break free spray do the trick?

I would not advise it. Break Free's value as a lubricant and preservative derives from its property as a shellac. It you want build up in your tube, go for it.

I have never cleaned an AR gas tube and have yet to have a problem. Someday I may do so, but I am waiting for a good reason.

They sell special gas tube cleaning snakes. removal is pretty simple. remove the hand guards and the tube is held in by a roll pin in front of where the tube goes into the gas block of the front sight. drop the pin and she should slide out (make sure the bolt carrier is removed) if it is real tight they have a special tool with soft gripts to help grab the tube

I use a long pipe cleaner...bought a batch , designed for gas tube cleaning....think it was from Tapco or cheaperthandirt maybe....squirt some hoppes down it, and run the pipe cleaner thru...

I have about 5500 to 6000 rnds through my rifle and have never once touched the gas tube. If you have a problem with the gas tube replace it, they are about $5 new.

-DM-

The tube is self cleaning. Unless you're shooting stunningly crappy ammo, or perhaps have a .22 conversion, there's no need to put anything in the gas tube except gas from the rounds you're putting downtown...I had tens of thousands of rounds through my Colt and the only thing I used the "newbie giant pipe cleaners" for, was tying up my speaker and A/V cables and giving them to my daughter for a science project. That being said, if you're into to squeakifying your gun once in a while HardJeepGuy's way is the bestest in the whole wide world...[cheers]

Last edited:
Even if you have a .22 conversion, you should be fine if you fire a couple of rounds of full power ammo at the end of your shooting session.

Not even once in all the hundreds of hours of weapons maintenance I have performed have I ever considered cleaning the gas tube. I am certainly no expert, but I'd wager to say it would never be a necessary step in the cleaning process. That being said, now that the thought has been presented to me, the OCD in me cringes to think of how much crap must have been in there.

Do you pull the gas tube out when doing this? I would assume getting some break cleaner on other parts near by may not be good or am i wrong?

Do you pull the gas tube out when doing this? I would assume getting some break cleaner on other parts near by may not be good or am i wrong?

Nope. Rip the handguards off, wipe down the exposed portions of the barrel, then tip the muzzle floorward over a bucket, and let 'er rip with the brake cleaner. Keep the brake clean away from any plastic or optics. Cleaning the tube really isn't necessary, and you won't see much of anything come out. For me it's an occasional "feel good" thing. I've literally fired over 20,000 rounds through one of my pre-ban Colts, so it's been cleaned a few times. Any issues I've had have been either operator error, bad mag springs, crappy ammo, or the occasional broken part. As much as everyone complains how difficult and fickle the AR platform is, a lot of issues develop from lack of, or improper maintenance. They're just a machine, and should be cared for as such. I am not an expert on ARs, I just enjoy shooting them. We have quite a few folks here who can identify a take-down detent spring for an AR at 50 yards. A couple have already chimed in, and I'm sure a few more will. Take their advice as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom