Ar 15 gas rings

Make sure that the 3 rings are offset equally and that the gaps all don't line up. Something else is going on here, why do you think its the gas rings?

They do not pass the test where you extend the bolt and stand it on end it should not collapse into the bolt carrier. Other wise it shoots fine. I have done a lot of rapid fire practicing for three gun would the heat affect them?

They do not pass the test where you extend the bolt and stand it on end it should not collapse into the bolt carrier. Other wise it shoots fine. I have done a lot of rapid fire practicing for three gun would the heat affect them?

I absolutely abused a stag arms model 2 carbine. Nothing but steel case ammo , mag dumps, minimal cleaning. 3000+ rounds before I sold it. My friend has continued the trend.
That said old ret marine at my club says dump a new set every 3k rounds.

I have a $100 BCG from AIM Surplus that failed the same test within 200 rounds. It continues to work fine. Its in a "toy" AR so I'll keep using it until it either fails or I buy a bunch of gas rings and replace a whole bunch of them.

The whole gun is a m&p 15t it has ran flawlessly to date I am going to get some new rings and run it until fail with the old rings

http://www.cpi-va.us/docs/M16Manual.pdf

Refer to TM 9-1005-319-23&P (page 3-13)

3-7. BOLT CARRIER ASSEMBLY (CONT.).

INSPECTION (CONT.)

2. Inspect firing pin 131 tip for proper con tour
Inspect for pitting, wear, and burrs Pits or wear in
area (4) Is permissible Replace firing pin If
defective

OUT ■♦

Prior to reassembly, insert bolt assembly (5) Into
key and bolt carrier assembly (6) (do not insert
bolt cam pin) and exercise bolt assembly in and
out of key and bolt carrier assembly Check for
binding

4. Check bolt assembly (5) for proper fit with bolt
cam pin removed Turn key and bolt carrier
assembly (61 and suspend so the bolt assembly
is pointed down

NOTE

The bolt assembly must not drop out If
weight of bolt assembly allows It to drop
out of key and bolt carrier assembly,
replace bolt rings (p 3-21)

You are not supposed to put the bolt face on the table and see if it collapses into the carrier. You are supposed to assemble it and hold it so the bolt face is pointed down towards the ground. The test is whether the bolt assembly drops out of the carrier due to its own weight.

Last edited:
Make sure that the 3 rings are offset equally and that the gaps all don't line up. Something else is going on here, why do you think its the gas rings?

take your gas rings and intentionally line up the gaps and you'll find that it works fine. the gap alignment theory is totally bogus.

http://www.cpi-va.us/docs/M16Manual.pdf

Refer to TM 9-1005-319-23&P (page 3-13)

You are not supposed to put the bolt face on the table and see if it collapses into the carrier. You are supposed to assemble it and hold it so the bolt face is pointed down towards the ground. The test is whether the bolt assembly drops out of the carrier due to its own weight.

That's correct. You should have to whip it out.

What's the consensus on rings are they all the same or some are better than others? I've looked at the mcfarland, seems a little gimmicky, are all the rest pretty much the same?

I do mine with a new extractor every 5k rounds. 5k rounds is $1,000+ in ammo. Surely you can spare $30 to swap some high wear parts and not let your rifle get into a failure mode.

Then again, maybe I'm the only person who changes my car's oil before the engine stops working.

How long does a set of gas rings last in general? mine no longer pass the test after approx. 800 rounds

The test is a big vague. For example if I do it with dry rings it passes and with oil it fails. Also the other line of thinking is to do it the other way around: Sit the BCG on its rear and see if the bolt will drop into it.

I replaced mine at 2500 rounds or so. The BCG was failing the typical test but my ejection was still reliable and consistent, which would suggest they didn't need replacement. I prefer to err on the side of caution, rather than wait to start seeing short strokes. I'd hate for the first short strokes to be when I need the gun to work. I'd say 2500 rounds is safe, 5000 is probably fine, unless you start seeing weird ejection patterns.

Back
Top Bottom