• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR 15 build trying to find upper

Definitely sad.

I got an 870 last year for a student and it was just crappy feeling compared to my 20 year old Walmart special 870 express. I'm not talking about a wingmaster, just an old express.

O you need to find an AR upper i have only 2 things to say .50 Beowolf and .458 SOCOM yeah look that up and hat will fix most any issue you will have .... ever .... at all ...... for anything

O you need to find an AR upper i have only 2 things to say .50 Beowolf and .458 SOCOM yeah look that up and hat will fix most any issue you will have .... ever .... at all ...... for anything

And you need to reload to shoot either of these rounds. Or be prepared to spend $1.50/round. I'm too cheap to do that.

Am I missing something here? Why is there so much talk on what manufacturers will massify an upper? The only two evils an upper cant have is mass is a bayo lug and a flash hider right? So again, why so much talk? Get a stripped barrel, build it...and pin a comp.

i know the op said already built upper, but it would be so much easier to just assemble it yourself. Plus you will have a much easier time finding stuff in stock.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? Why is there so much talk on what manufacturers will massify an upper? The only two evils an upper cant have is mass is a bayo lug and a flash hider right? So again, why so much talk? Get a stripped barrel, build it...and pin a comp.

i know the op said already built upper, but it would be so much easier to just assemble it yourself. Plus you will have a much easier time finding stuff in stock.

You don't even need to start from scratch. Buy the pre-ban upper, hacksaw the lug off, dress it nicely with a file, cold blue it, and pin it.

All this talk about constructive intent is just so much of that. I've never heard of a single prosecution along those lines.
And if the vendor you are buying the upper says anything to you, just tell them that you have a pre-ban lower to put it on.

Don

You don't even need to start from scratch. Buy the pre-ban upper, hacksaw the lug off, dress it nicely with a file, cold blue it, and pin it.

All this talk about constructive intent is just so much of that. I've never heard of a single prosecution along those lines.
And if the vendor you are buying the upper says anything to you, just tell them that you have a pre-ban lower to put it on.

Don

i didn't mean "talk" in a bad way, sorry if it seemed it. I was just trying to say it would seem easier to me to just do it that way rather than spend more or wait on in stock items or hack parts off etc.

Don - I thought I listed Marlin and neglected to mention that all new Marlin 336's are coming in powdercoated black instead of blued. They have a gritty, cheap feel to them now - sad to see...

You forgot the wood. Most new rifles have crappy, plastic looking wood now, especially Marlin. Otherwise, the 336 is a nice gun, but the stock is a turn-off.

Definitely sad.

I got an 870 last year for a student and it was just crappy feeling compared to my 20 year old Walmart special 870 express. I'm not talking about a wingmaster, just an old express.

Again, bad wood. They don't even bother with the white spacer any more.

Am I missing something here? Why is there so much talk on what manufacturers will massify an upper? The only two evils an upper cant have is mass is a bayo lug and a flash hider right? So again, why so much talk? Get a stripped barrel, build it...and pin a comp. ...

You can just skip the comp, if you don't feel like being all trendy.

Don

Excellent advice, and the easiest route if you don't have the tools/know-how to assemble the upper.

I have a Stag upper that comes out MA compliant. Gun will chew up and spit out anything i put into it. Have never had one issue with it. ( I mainly run steel case ammo)

i didn't mean "talk" in a bad way, sorry if it seemed it. I was just trying to say it would seem easier to me to just do it that way rather than spend more or wait on in stock items or hack parts off etc.

It might be to you. But if you haven't done it before and don't have the tools, building an upper can seem pretty daunting. You make a great point. I think maybe your familiarity with the AR may have led you to not take into account how intimidating building an upper can be to 95% of AR shooters.

It might be to you. But if you haven't done it before and don't have the tools, building an upper can seem pretty daunting. You make a great point. I think maybe your familiarity with the AR may have led you to not take into account how intimidating building an upper can be to 95% of AR shooters.

Actully im new to ARs. Bought my first AR a few months ago, and I just built my first AR ever this past week. Just waiting on the new BCM comp and shell be all done. I found it rather easy, but I tend to over research shit. To me though, your suggestion sounds much more for the experienced and on the intimidating side....but, im still a noob.

Back
Top Bottom