AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor.

widnerkj

NES Member
Well....
I did up a nice savage axis in 6.5 creedmoor. Nothing wild. Just a Boyd’s stock, and nice glass. I love the hunting rifle. It’s just right. That said, Dad really liked the creedmoor..... fast forward a couple of months, and the LGS had a set of stripped aero precision M5 receivers (upper and lower). I asked about them, and turns out no one in the retirement community I live in has shown interest. So he said he’d let both go for $180 as a set. So I figured they could sit in my gun closet until I decide what to do with em.
I rooted around my AR spare bucket, and thought about where to go with it. I ended up ordering a faxon 18” creedmoor barrel. And JP 15.5” handguard.
Dad turns 60 next month, so I’ve got it sorted and functioning nicely. I only had a 1-4 power scope. But it worked pretty well for testing out. I’m giving it to him sans optic, he can figure out the glass for himself. Groups were good and tiny. I also put a thread protector on it rather than any muzzle device. Final weight was 8.4 pounds. All in all it’s a pretty handy carbine. Should be excellent for stalk hunting in New Mexico.

972160E3-6BA0-4FEE-9E2B-1706586E6BED.jpeg 7882BF44-5349-4661-AC77-C99ECF4504A5.jpeg ED129742-8A2F-4018-8870-882867205AEF.jpeg 73DC3947-B918-4D66-875A-A574BE3BA565.jpeg

I have a pre -BS Aero in .308 and love it. I just need to purchase a bipod and I’m good to go. Congrats!

If you get a 6.5cm barrel or upper, be sure to use a high pressure bolt for it. The regular AR10 bolt for .308 will work but the firing pin and hole are larger than a 6.5cm firing pin and hole. You'll be getting pierced primers and debris will get inside the bolt and screw things up until you take out the firing pin and clean it all out. Big PIA I learned the hard way! Got a high pressure bolt for it and it ran like a top.

If you get a 6.5cm barrel or upper, be sure to use a high pressure bolt for it. The regular AR10 bolt for .308 will work but the firing pin and hole are larger than a 6.5cm firing pin and hole. You'll be getting pierced primers and debris will get inside the bolt and screw things up until you take out the firing pin and clean it all out. Big PIA I learned the hard way! Got a high pressure bolt for it and it ran like a top.

So..... I did stress over this, for a little while. The "high pressure" bolt that JP rifles sells for over $200 for just the bolt and firing pin, is as you say, smaller. After lots of digging, it turns out, Aero Precision's phosphate BCG is "high pressure" as well. I think the issue really is like everything AR .308, we don't have the luxury of a mil spec standard. So all the manufacturers are a bit different.

If you are looking to save money - Aero Precision Phosphate BCG's are designed for high pressure and come with a smaller pin. I have no affiliation with these guys, and I got my bolt from cheaper than dirt. But there's good information on this page.

Back
Top Bottom