Applying for CCW in Lewiston--any hurdles to look out for?

JT1

Friends, it appears certain I'll be moving to my wife's hometown of Lewiston by summer.

One of my priorities is to sort out my CCW as soon as possible.

I've searched here and looked at the state police website.

Are there any hurdles I need to be aware of? (Please understand that I've lived in California and until recently anticipated moving to Mass., so the idea of not having to beat my head against a brick wall is a new concept...)

Questions:

Logistically, will I first be required to obtain a Maine DL before applying? The state police application form does not indicate what ID is required aside from a Birth Cert, which I have. But will I be applying through Lewiston PD instead? Will I be required to submit proof residency, such as utility bill, car registration or anything like that?

What constitutes "proof of knowledge of handgun safety"? I took a five-hour class for my Utah permit, which has yet to be issued. Would the Utah class suffice or is something else required?

Thanks for any advice. I'm eager to get the Maine app sorted because i need to apply for non-residence LTC in Mass, where I'll be traveling frequently. Getting the whole Northeast corridor sorted will take time, but at least it appears doable.

If you're not currently a Maine resident and don't expect to be for several months, the simplest solution is to apply for a non-resident permit immediately then just file a change of address notification with the Lewiston P.D. once you establish residency. It'll cost you a little extra, but at least your permit will be in place upon arrival. If you wait and apply once you establish residency you'll fall into the category of "resident of fewer than five years" which allows them extra time to process your paperwork and could leave you without a permit for significantly longer. The Utah approved course should be sufficient, as long as your certificate is dated within the last 5 years.

Jeff's advice sounds good. As to who you apply with, Lewiston PD or ME SP, you will have to call Lewiston town hall and ask. It is the local government that issues them, but some towns contract with the state police to do it for them.

Thanks guys. Moving in less than a month, so I don't think I can apply for the "non-resident" permit in time. So it looks like I'll have to gut out the "new resident" waiting period. Will give the PD a call to see exactly what they require...

Just glad to be moving to a shall issue state...not to mention one where the shops can carry the full line of firearms not to mention normal mags, etc.

Back
Top Bottom