Appleseed with a Garand

I was able to make Rifleman with my 10/22 at the November Appleseed in Harvard, so I want to give it a go with something a little bigger (specifically the Garand that I have on order from The CMP [smile]).

As a big part of the program is safety, the transitions are supposed to be done unloaded. Obviously that is easy with a 10 round mag, but what is the best way to go it with 8 round clips? Is it strictly verboten to transition while loaded?

The instructions on the QDAQT state to load two for the start of each stage and reload with eight. I've never loaded a Garand, but I expect that inserting a partially loaded clip isn't as easy as a fully loaded one.

So, what is a Rifleman to do?

I did the jericho appleseed last year with a garand. I definetely recomend buying a few 2 round clips. There is a way to do it with a regular enblock clip but it definetley easier/quicker with the 2 rounders.

I think a little "out of the box thinking" is required...

You'll need a bunch of clips but some 8 & 2's might be the easiest

What about some 5's - I personally had a hard time with the 8's when I shot a CMP course

Although on the standing & kneeling - if you're good enough - skip the 2 rounds per stage and focus on the prone positions - while you're skipping 20 pts max, you gain them on the bottom stage at 2x scoring...

Strategery [wink]

What about some 5's - I personally had a hard time with the 8's when I shot a CMP course

Although on the standing & kneeling - if you're good enough - skip the 2 rounds per stage and focus on the prone positions - while you're skipping 20 pts max, you gain them on the bottom stage at 2x scoring...

Strategery [wink]

what about the 8's were troublesome? 20 points are a lot to throw away... I finished with about 15-20 seconds left when I shot my best score, so I'd think that I have at least a little time for the extra reloads.

Strategery [wink]

I really don't at all like the concept of declining shots on the targets that represent your closest threats.

Of course, if all you're worried about is your score.......[thinking]

I didn't really think of it that way, I was thinking more about maximizing shots with safe, timely transition - get off a full clip, transition empty, etc.

Proficiency with the rifle is definitely a factor - I was very clumsy on my first/only CMP shoot so I was thinking about the time lost trying to relaod.

I wasn't thinking from a threat perspective either but a valid point...would you reload under fire from a standing/exposed position? Under stress, we do what we practice - like dropping a pump shotgun off the shoulder to cycle the action as I've seen some do.

Sounds liek I need to get out of my own box...I'll leave it to the shooter to figure out what the best course is. Hopefully I'll get to see it first hand!

No, stay up on the box, there. [grin] You are correct about reloading, both in how much time it eats up, and how bad an idea it would be to accomplish standing around under fire. What's more important is that we're all thinking about what we're doing, not just doing it and hoping for the best. If we keep discussing what we're doing, we continue to learn from each other.

For example, at some point in this discussion it finally occurred to me that running the AQT backward (prone to standing) is as big a threat analysis failure as not taking shots on the close targets. Now, I like shooting it backward - but I'm going to have to change my ways, it seems.

Now I'm getting impatient for spring, already!!!...[wink]

As a big part of the program is safety, the transitions are supposed to be done unloaded. Obviously that is easy with a 10 round mag, but what is the best way to go it with 8 round clips? Is it strictly verboten to transition while loaded?

The instructions on the QDAQT state to load two for the start of each stage and reload with eight. I've never loaded a Garand, but I expect that inserting a partially loaded clip isn't as easy as a fully loaded one.

So, what is a Rifleman to do?
A Rifleman persists and doesn't try to game things. What if all you HAVE is two rounds and an 8-round clip? You cross the two rounds in the clip and insert, that's what.

Seriously, you're overthinking this. It's not that hard to put two rounds into an 8 round clip and load it. Lots of recruits had to do this in basic training, I'm sure.

I'd be happy to show you how... just like I learned how to do it at my first Appleseed. 'Cause yeah... I shot my first AS with MY Garand. And no, I didn't make Rifleman. That time. [wink]

I did the jericho appleseed last year with a garand. I definetely recomend buying a few 2 round clips. There is a way to do it with a regular enblock clip but it definetley easier/quicker with the 2 rounders.
No way - I find the two rounders to be a bit of a kludge. In fact, I bought a 5 round clip for hunting and frankly, I'd rather just load 5 in a standard clip... but I'd get the Fish & Game [STRIKE]Nazis[/STRIKE] wardens upset with me. [angry]

I didn't really think of it that way, I was thinking more about maximizing shots with safe, timely transition - get off a full clip, transition empty, etc.

Proficiency with the rifle is definitely a factor - I was very clumsy on my first/only CMP shoot so I was thinking about the time lost trying to relaod.
The only answer to that is PRACTICE. I was clumsy at first, too... and a lot of rounds downrange has gotten my reload times way down.

Back
Top Bottom