Appleseed newbie questions

How do I view that link?
Have you signed up on the Appleseed board? if you have, try sending TechRes a PM. I'm not sure why that thead would be restricted.

I'm going to the June 18/19 Appleseed at HSC… Bringing the 22's… Need sling "stuff", hence NEED suggestions on what, where to buy, etc… In other words… HELP ME PLEASE!

Start here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35390-The-Liberty-Training-Rifle

Let me know if you have any more questions after reading the first post.

Have you signed up on the Appleseed board? if you have, try sending TechRes a PM. I'm not sure why that thead would be restricted.

Start here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35390-The-Liberty-Training-Rifle

Let me know if you have any more questions after reading the first post.

I signed up for the Harvard Appleseed this month, but haven't yet picked up a rifle. I'm thinking a 10/22. FS has the stainless/synthetic model with a Bushnell 3-9x32mm already mounted. Would this be a good start? I have zero experience modifying rifles.

what's the approximate round count for the two days? I was planning on ~1000 rounds of 22LR, plus ~100 so of .223 if there is an opportunity to shoot centerfire rifles.

I signed up for the Harvard Appleseed this month, but haven't yet picked up a rifle. I'm thinking a 10/22. FS has the stainless/synthetic model with a Bushnell 3-9x32mm already mounted. Would this be a good start? I have zero experience modifying rifles.

A 10/22 is a good start. We like to see shooters using iron sights if possible, because it's a lot easier to go to a scope from irons instead of vice versa. (Sort of how it's easy to learn to drive a car with an automatic transmission if you've learned to drive a stick.) If the stock has sling studs, you want to add 1.25" swivels (they hook right on) and a GI-type sling. You can see the LTR thread for where to order them.

what's the approximate round count for the two days? I was planning on ~1000 rounds of 22LR, plus ~100 so of .223 if there is an opportunity to shoot centerfire rifles.

That's about right. get a couple of 550 round boxes of .22 and you're good to go. You'll have plenty of time to use the centerfire rifle on Sunday. Might want to bring more than just 100 rounds, though - an AQT is 40 rounds by itself.

A 10/22 is a good start. We like to see shooters using iron sights if possible, because it's a lot easier to go to a scope from irons instead of vice versa. (Sort of how it's easy to learn to drive a car with an automatic transmission if you've learned to drive a stick.) If the stock has sling studs, you want to add 1.25" swivels (they hook right on) and a GI-type sling. You can see the LTR thread for where to order them.

That makes sense. Are the stock sights on the 10/22 decent? Trying to cut down on the cost.

That makes sense. Are the stock sights on the 10/22 decent? Trying to cut down on the cost.

Not really. Tech-sights are 100 times better. The factory sights aren't really adjustable for windage unless you have a [strike]rock[/strike] hammer and a drift punch, and the adjustment for elevation is crude, to say the least.

Not really. Tech-sights are 100 times better. The factory sights aren't really adjustable for windage unless you have a [strike]rock[/strike] hammer and a drift punch, and the adjustment for elevation is crude, to say the least.

Thanks for the info. Didn't quite connect the dots when I signed up... the shoot is only 12 days away and I don't have any gear yet! Might not have the ideal setup in time, but I don't think it'll kill me as I'm a complete beginner.

I know one of you guys has an extra set of tech-sights just laying around waiting to be gobbled up by me... you know the ones that are sitting on that 10/22 you have not pulled out since last year - ya ill buy them off you ...lol I am such a cheap bastard sometimes.

Too many wants and not enough dough to go around. Let me know as I am going to have to bite the bullet soon enough and just order some but I am so reluctant to purchase them online yet.

here's a silly question...
during Basic Rifle Marksmanship training, we dry fired the M-16 with a dime on the front of the barrel,
squeeze the trigger correctly and the dime won't fall off the end of the barrel...
will that work with the 10/22?

Sort of how it's easy to learn to drive a car with an automatic transmission if you've learned to drive a stick.

my wife FREAKS out when i drive her car and rest my hand on the shifter..... i've only ever driven standard....
she'd question my ability to drive her Corolla... course, i'd like to see her go through BRM at Sill in August and shoot out to 300m with iron sights...

Last edited:
De-hijacking the thread from the PRNDL2 divergence...

I just signed up for the HSC Appleseed 6/18-19 for myself and my 10 y/o and (hopefully!) 12 y/o daughters... Just a couple of questions... Bring food? I plan a cooler of water and snacks... Is there any "cover", or will they be in the sun all day? IE, sunscreen or not? Will we be shooting on grass, dirt, concrete? Should I bring a tarp? Any other suggestions?

My motivation is for us to have FUN, so if there is anything that I can do to minimise potential drama...

here's a silly question...
during Basic Rifle Marksmanship training, we dry fired the M-16 with a dime on the front of the barrel,
squeeze the trigger correctly and the dime won't fall off the end of the barrel...
will that work with the 10/22?

The only silly question is the one you didn't ask... I don't think that would work with the 10/22 with stock sights but I'd think it would with Tech-Sights.

I just signed up for the HSC Appleseed 6/18-19 for myself and my 10 y/o and (hopefully!) 12 y/o daughters... Just a couple of questions... Bring food? I plan a cooler of water and snacks... Is there any "cover", or will they be in the sun all day? IE, sunscreen or not? Will we be shooting on grass, dirt, concrete? Should I bring a tarp? Any other suggestions?

You can bring your lunch if you want although there's usually a lunch truck for both days. Burgers, dogs, sausages, etc.

There are shelters on each range where we'll be doing the history portions. The firing line itself will be in the sun (or rain) and is bare dirt. Bring sunscreen, a chair and a mat to shoot on. I strongly urge you to review these links:
http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8162.0
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=170.0 (lots more topics to read here which will help you get an idea what to bring)

Oh, and a tarp can help catch flying brass and make cleanup at the end of the day easier.

The only things we ask that you don't bring are your concealed handgun (we run a cold line) and your ego. Please check your ego at the gate; you can pick it up on the way out. [wink]

I picked up the Hogue stock, extended mag release, automatic bolt release and hammer, and exact edge extractor. These are fairly easy to install, right?

I ended up with the 10/22 stainless with a scope. I was worried the Tech-sights wouldn't arrive in enough time to really try them out.

I picked up the Hogue stock, extended mag release, automatic bolt release and hammer, and exact edge extractor. These are fairly easy to install, right?

I ended up with the 10/22 stainless with a scope. I was worried the Tech-sights wouldn't arrive in enough time to really try them out.

Yes, they are. When you put in the extractor, be careful that you don't lose the factory spring that is behind it - it can shoot out if you're not careful. Removing the old one and putting the new one in can be done in a gallon-size ziplock if you're nervous about it. The replacement bolt release and hammer are easy enough but be sure to note how the springs are placed when you take the action apart - they're easy to put back in the wrong way.

If you have trouble with any of them, let me know - we can meet up and put my WECSOG* education to work.

*Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing

Yes, they are. When you put in the extractor, be careful that you don't lose the factory spring that is behind it - it can shoot out if you're not careful. Removing the old one and putting the new one in can be done in a gallon-size ziplock if you're nervous about it. The replacement bolt release and hammer are easy enough but be sure to note how the springs are placed when you take the action apart - they're easy to put back in the wrong way.

If you have trouble with any of them, let me know - we can meet up and put my WECSOG* education to work.

*Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing

Parts come tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom