Appleseed Labor Day weekend in Pelham NH?

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
I am very interested in this, as work will not have me at sea that weekend. Is anyone else thinking about going? Have they done one there before? The website says they will use a 100 yrd range, so a 10/22 would be sufficient right? Also, what is the camping situation like? I read primitive camping available, but I am not sure what that exactly means. That is one of the parts I am excited about, I bought all this gear and I have used it once. [thinking] I am working on a few friends of mine to go, but I will believe it when I see it.

Question about Appleseed's in general, I know the website says bolt guns are ok, but my buddy's 30-06 has I think a 4 rnd mag, will he be ok using that? Or is it too fast pace?

Thanks for your time,
Ed

A 10/22 works well, out to 100 yards, too.

Primitive camping means no ammenities, other than a portolet.

Your friend with the .30-06 bolt gun will be at a distict disadvantage, but, Ihave seen a .270 bolt gun used before. The biggest peoblem he'll have is ammo cost. He could buy a 10/22, tart it up and buy double the needed amount of ammo for the cost of enough .30-06 ammo to do the event. Now, a military bolt gun or .22 bolt gun works very well, as they can be speedily reloaded.

That being said, I'll wager a loaner could be made available for him.

Thanks for the heads up.

I myself have an AR and a 10/22, but a girlfriend of mine is thinking about going, so I promised the 10/22 to her if she does. The more I read about these shoots, I may consider buying an other 10/22 for myself to reduce the ammo cost of shooting 223 the whole weekend. Maybe if I put it to him like that, I can talk him into getting one as well.

What do you think the round count for something like that would be?

Also back to the camping thing, campfires or no?

Thanks again,
Ed

Hey Ed,

Glad to hear you're considering an Appleseed! It's the best rifleman training you can get for your dollar, and so long as you go in with an open mind and your ego in check, I guarantee you'll have a good time and learn a ton.

Crak will be one of the instructors for this shoot, so he'll be able to give you a little more detail. But generally speaking:

A 10/22 is perfect for this program; that's what most people shoot. Try to have 4 mags (40 rounds capacity) and a sling with you. If you can, you should also consider adding Tech Sights to the rifle. It's a cheap and easy upgrade, and it makes a HUGE difference (makes a good rifle great, IMO). See the "Liberty Training Rifle" thread.

I can't speak to camping at this particular range, but usually "primitive" means a place to pitch your tent and a bathroom or porto-potty.

As for your buddy's bolt gun, the Appleseed program is designed to teach students with whatever gun they have, so if you buddy has a bolt 30-06, then that's what they'll teach him to shoot. I was at an Appleseed last weekend with a couple guys shooting WWII era bolt guns.

However, most of the courses of fire are 10 rounds, and when you shoot the AQT (Army Qualifying Test) you'll shoot 40 rounds in 10 minutes; that may get a little frustrating for your buddy (plus a 500+ round weekend shooting 30-06 can be painful for the wallet and the shoulder). Most of the Appleseed instructors have loaner guns available (usually the abovementioned LTRs, 10/22s equipped with Tech Sights and a couple other upgrades). If he doesn't have anything better suited, he might want to consider getting in touch with the contact person for the shoot and have him reserve a loaner rifle for the weekend.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again for the info, I had no idea people would be willing to loan rifles, that may have just made it a lot easier to persuade him, if he doesn't want to shoot his rifle, or buy a 10/22. I really hope I can get a few people interested, if not I may just go alone.

Thanks again,
Ed

I'd take two 500 or 550 round boxes of .22 ammo.

Yeah, that much. You'll have some left over, but you'll be into the second box.

We just shot 499 rounds each at Jericho, and the Full Distance (100-400 yards) was half of Sunday, and the shooters had to break into two groups, one shooting, one in the target pits, then rotating.

Well looks like I may have found a 10/22 project for the month. [wink]

Is there anyone else thinking about making this event?

Well I am in, plus at least one maybe 2 of my girl friends. For some reason they are more interested then some of the guys I know.

Just a question for them, one is active Mil, the other is not, the free for girls, that is just the range fee right? The registration fee still applies right?

Thanks guys, I am VERY excited about this.
Ed

For 20 and under, military or ladies (all 3 groups), the RWVA registration fee is free. This is the fee you see on Eventbrite, or pay to RWVA at the event. This is RWVA's money.

Some ranges also waive the range fee, some don't. This is the club's money.

Well looks like I may have found a 10/22 project for the month. [wink]

Is there anyone else thinking about making this event?

I'll be there. I'm bringing a Ruger 10/22. Tech sites I hear are good but I set mine up with a 3-9x32 scope mounted on weaver see through rings so I can shot irons or scoped.

I'll be there. I'm bringing a Ruger 10/22. Tech sites I hear are good but I set mine up with a 3-9x32 scope mounted on weaver see through rings so I can shot irons or scoped.
You may want to get a strap-on cheek pad for your 10/22 - those see through rings are going to move the scope up quite a bit.

Oh man, that's great news, that totally helps my cause. I can't wait, I pull into port tomorrow, and I may take a swing by dick's and pick up a 10/22 for a LTR to build for it. Thanks for all the answers.

Jason, are you camping there?

Ed

You may want to get a strap-on cheek pad for your 10/22 - those see through rings are going to move the scope up quite a bit.

Actually it only moved up 0.06" (got the caliper out) because the see-through rings replaced the scope rings and the scope rail. It feels the same as the old setup with the rings that came with the scope. If I look at the stock iron sights my head is tiled and my cheek bone is on the stock. When looking through the scope my jaw bone is right on the stock. I'm new to rifles so I don't know what the ideal shooting position for your head is but both positions felt comfortable when I sighted in the scope last weekend.

Oh man, that's great news, that totally helps my cause. I can't wait, I pull into port tomorrow, and I may take a swing by dick's and pick up a 10/22 for a LTR to build for it. Thanks for all the answers.

Jason, are you camping there?

Ed

I only live about 30 minutes away from Pelham so I wasn't planning on camping. I'm certainly willing to hang out for a while after the shoot and have a beer with some fellow Appleseed attendees though.

Well that sounds great, I was unsure about the legitimacy of having a beer on the grounds, but I am definitely all about it.

From the sounds of things, this is exactly the place for someone who doesn't know anything about shooting a rifle, they teach how.

I am psyched, and looking forward to it.

Ed

What about us guys that don't have shit for experience with rifles? I have an AR that hasn't even been fired yet.

I know Appleseed is designed for beginners. I've heard good things about that aspect so far. A lot of parents are bringing their older children with them to participate. One thing that I know is recommended is to know that you have a good functioning rifle. If you don't have a place to shoot it then check out Manchester Firing Line in Manchester, NH. They have a 25 yard indoor range and you use your AR there. You will need to use crappy unreliable frangible ammo (which they sell there) but at least you will have a chance to break it in. Keep in mind with the appleseed you will be going through about 700+ rounds of ammo which isn't cheap. For the price of just .223 ammo you can get a Ruger 10/22 and a few 500 bulk packs of ammo.

I have a couple thousand rounds of .223 now. Not to mention I'd like to know how to use the AR I have. Like I said I haven't fired it yet, but I have a M&P AR15, but I may head to MFL to put a few rounds through.

I'd need to get a sling. I also wouldn't stay overnight as I too am less than a 1/2 hour drive to Pelham.

I have a couple thousand rounds of .223 now. Not to mention I'd like to know how to use the AR I have. Like I said I haven't fired it yet, but I have a M&P AR15, but I may head to MFL to put a few rounds through.

I'd need to get a sling. I also wouldn't stay overnight as I too am less than a 1/2 hour drive to Pelham.

Here's the sling I picked up for my AR. A cotton USGI type sling was recommended by some people that have done Appleseed.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=213015

I'll likely do another Appleseed with my AR next summer. Hopefully I'll be into reloading by then to keep the cost down.

Actually it only moved up 0.06" (got the caliper out) because the see-through rings replaced the scope rings and the scope rail. It feels the same as the old setup with the rings that came with the scope. If I look at the stock iron sights my head is tiled and my cheek bone is on the stock. When looking through the scope my jaw bone is right on the stock. I'm new to rifles so I don't know what the ideal shooting position for your head is but both positions felt comfortable when I sighted in the scope last weekend.
Your cheek should be on the stock - there's a reason that we refer to it as a "cheek weld". [wink] I stand by my earlier recommendation.

What about us guys that don't have shit for experience with rifles? I have an AR that hasn't even been fired yet.
Bring the AR if you want, but you absolutely should get that thing to the range and put a few hundred rounds down range to be sure that it's reliable. If you're spending time futzing with the rifle, you will NOT be learning anything. If you have a backup rifle, like a 10/22 or a Marlin 60 or Remington 795, BRING IT. That way, when you get tired of trying to get a brand new rifle to work, you can put it to the side, pick up the reliable .22, and start learning.

I'm really not kidding here - you can ask any instructor, and they will all tell you that bringing a brand new rifle to an Appleseed Shoot is a recipe for a wasted weekend. Either get it broken in, or contact the shoot boss and see if he's got a loaner you can use.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm just telling it like it is.

Bring the AR if you want, but you absolutely should get that thing to the range and put a few hundred rounds down range to be sure that it's reliable. If you're spending time futzing with the rifle, you will NOT be learning anything. If you have a backup rifle, like a 10/22 or a Marlin 60 or Remington 795, BRING IT. That way, when you get tired of trying to get a brand new rifle to work, you can put it to the side, pick up the reliable .22, and start learning.

I'm really not kidding here - you can ask any instructor, and they will all tell you that bringing a brand new rifle to an Appleseed Shoot is a recipe for a wasted weekend. Either get it broken in, or contact the shoot boss and see if he's got a loaner you can use.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm just telling it like it is.

+100 for what dwarven1 is saying here. There are only 3 ways to screw up an Appleseed weekend: have a bad attitude, be unsafe, or waste the weekend messing with malfunctioning equipment.

The best investment you can make to ensure you will have a good time is to go to the range the week before an Appleseed shoot and put 100 rounds down range using the same rifle and ammo you'll be bringing with you.

And if you can, do the same with a backup rifle.

PREPARING FOR AN APPLESEED

I concur 100% with Dwarven1 and Tony Dedo. Try to solve as many of your equipment problems as you can before the shoot. Breaking in new rifles and getting a sling are the topmost priorities.

For those of you with Ruger 10/22's, the next priorities are installing a scope or Tech Sights (because the Ruger slights are damn near worthless) and getting the auto bolt release modification, which lets the bolt for forward into battery without an extra, time consuming button press with your other hand.

At all NH shoots and some Vermont shoots, we have our own resident gunsmith, "Smithy," on site. Unless he runs out, he usually has all the parts you need: Tech Sights, Appleseed appropriate $50 scopes, slings, and sling parts. He can even do the auto bolt release modification on the spot. He does all his modifications and installation services for free, and only charges for parts--slightly less than retail (because there is no shipping) .

A full LTR conversion usually costs $200-$300 if you have it done by someone else. With Smithy it's around $100. So if you can't get everything done before the shoot, come early and bring cash. Smithy will set you up.

Just curious if anyone has any info about the available on site camping for the weekend. Are the sites campfire friendly? Can we use a camp grill on site? I have tried to read through the clubs website, but have not been able to come up with any info regarding camping, and I am trying to get the word out to my interested friends.

Thanks
Ed

From www.appleseedinfo.org:

Range: PELHAM FISH & GAME

Address: 90 Simpson Mill Rd., Pelham, NH

When: May 30-31, (New) Sept 5-6, 2009

Range Fee: $10 per day; Kids under 18, active military or Guard, and women are exempt

Camping available: on site 20 primitive, 40 w/electric and water

Hotels:
Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 At Exit 2)
1 Keewaydin Drive, Salem, NH
Website | 877-410-6681 (2.96 miles away)

La Quinta Inn & Suites Salem
8 Keewaydin Dr, Salem, NH
Website | 603-893-4722 (2.96 miles away)

Red Roof Inn
15 Red Roof Ln, Salem, NH
Website | 603-898-6422 (3.44 miles away)

Park View Inn
109 S Broadway, Salem, NH
Website | 603-898-5632 | More » (4.06 miles away)

Great Eagle Motel
2 Sullivan Rd, Hudson, NH
603-889-3998 (4.24 miles away)

Directions:
From Interstate 93 (either north or south) get off at exit 2. Turn right at the bottom of the ramp and go to the 1st traffic light (northbound exit) or the 2nd light (southbound exit). Turn right on S. Policy St. and travel about 1 mile. Turn right onto Rt.38 south. Stay on Rt38 for 3.7 miles. Turn right onto Hobbs Rd. You'll se the blue Pelham Fish and Game sign right before Hobbs. Take Hobbs for 3/10ths of a mile and turn right on Simpson Mill Rd. Stay on Simpson Mill Rd for 1 mile. The main club entrance will be on your right. MapQuest location of Pelham Fish and Game

GPS:
Latitude: N 42° 45.5454'
Longitude: W 71° 17.8764'

Latitude: N 42.75909°
Longitude: W 71.29794°

State Laws to be aware of: Check State Laws at http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Misc: Centerfires OK all ranges. Shooting out to 100 yards available on Sunday. Full size, commercial kitchen is available. Restaurants: Peking Garden, 150 Bridge St, Pelham, NH; 603-635-7108 (2.32 miles away) Quiznos, 150 Bridge St, Pelham, NH; 603-635-8342 (2.32 miles away) T J's Roast Beef & Pizza, 150 Bridge St, Pelham, NH; 603-635-9906 (2.32 miles away) Lobster Tail Restaurant & Fish, 4 Cobbetts Pond Rd, Windham, NH; Website | 603-434-8245 (2.51 miles away) Black Water Grill, 43 Pelham Rd, Salem, NH; 603-328-9013 (2.61 miles away) Uncle Jimmy's Rib Co, 32 Horseshoe Rd, Windham, NH; 603-898-1270 (2.87 miles away)

For More Information Contact: John Barnes @ 888-221-8628 or [email protected]

Registration Link: May 30-31: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/305526839
Sept 5-6: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/364465125

Attachments

• Pelham NH - September 2009.pdf
    139.8 KB · Views: 11
Reminder to anyone who just missed rifleman or couldn't make it to Harvard, we have another shoot in relative proximity (< 45minutes to the North) to Harvard next week.

Those who have new 10/22's who want to upgrade to LTR's (with M1 sling, 1.25" quick disconnect loops, studs, Tech Sights, and auto bolt release) can do so on site at the Pelham shoot, because NH shoots feature Smithy, our resident gunsmith, at every shoot.

Smithy sells all the parts you need for retail (no shipping cost!) and does the installations for free!

There is no better deal anywhere. Bring up to $100 cash for the complete conversion.

He also sells the right ammo for 10/22's.

Note: There was a significant inaccuracy above. The RF/AQT requires 40 rounds in FOUR (4) minutes, not 10 minutes. Bolt-actions with small mags will probably not be able to finish in time.

Saving the ammo and buying a 10/22 is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom