• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed: Harvard, MA April 18-19, 2015

Shooters! Your preparation period begins NOW!

There will be a 2-day Appleseed Shoot on April 18-19, 2015 at Harvard Sportsman's Club.

Come and celebrate the 240th anniversary of "the shot heard round the world".

This is a great opportunity for shooters of all levels. For new shooters, come
and learn the basics and build a great foundation. For advanced shooters, come take
a skills check. Challenge yourself. See if you have what it takes to bring home a
Rifleman's badge.

Come out and spend 2 awesome days of shooting and hearing the tale of the events of April 19, 1775.

Bring friends, bring family! Share the experience! Appleseed is a team-building and a
family bonding event!

Start prepping your gear now! It's less than 6 weeks away!

Hope to see you there.

You can register at:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvard-ma-appleseed-april-18-19-2015-tickets-15641253410

FYI --
For our friends in W.Mass there will also be a simultaneous Appleseed event in Leyden, MA happening at the same time.

See appleseedinfo.org for details.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this one! Hopefully bringing a buddy's son for the event.
So just how much ammo will i need again?

For a 2-day shoot, bring 500-1000 rounds per shooter. We will try to keep the round count low to accommodate those without much ammo. We may provide some ammunition to youth shooters only on an as-needed basis at no charge.

I've participated along with my 13-year-old son in two Appleseed clinics at Harvard with the estimable hbennett & Co. I can confirm that you'll learn a lot about marksmanship fundamentals and have a lot of fun. My son and I plan to attend the coming shoot. A few tips... You'll shoot at 25 meters (82 feet). At that proximity, .22LR shoots well; no need for larger calibers, though a few people will likely use them. As has been pointed out, the round count gets up there, another point in favor of .22 dollar-wise. If there are lots of registrations, to make room for everyone on the firing line you'll lay out out your mat in cozy proximity to a shooter on either side of you, perhaps even with your mats touching. At the first Appleseed I shot, the fellow to my immediate left brought his AR. I got to hear and feel his every shot (plus "catch" a lot of his brass), for a whole day. If you have an accurate .22 (and ammo), I recommend leaving your high-power rifle at home.

Last edited:
I've participated along with my 13-year-old son in two Appleseed clinics at Harvard with the estimable hbennett & Co. I can confirm that you'll learn a lot about marksmanship fundamentals and have a lot of fun. My son and I plan to attend the coming shoot. A few tips... You'll shoot at 25 meters (88 feet). At that proximity, .22LR shoots well; no need for larger calibers, though a few people will likely use them. As has been pointed out, the round count gets up there, another point in favor of .22 dollar-wise. If there are lots of registrations, to make room for everyone on the firing line you'll lay out out your mat in cozy proximity to a shooter on either side of you, perhaps even with your mats touching. At the first Appleseed I shot, the fellow to my immediate left brought his AR. I got to hear and feel his every shot (plus "catch" a lot of his brass), for a whole day. If you have an accurate .22 (and ammo), I recommend leaving your high-power rifle at home.

Curious how the guy with the AR did. I think I could get my patch with an AR with my eyes closed. Closed more than with the .22 lol

I shot the first day with .22, and the second day with an AR. Missed rifleman by a hair. Going to miss this one due to a wedding in FL.

Bring lot's of extra mags, at least 4. This is a great program. Sorry to be missing this one.

What kind of sights/optics do you want for this? I have 22s with red dots, irons, scopes.

The program stresses marksmanship with irons. I had tech sights on my 10-22 for my first shoot. I subsequently learned my tired eyes (too much screen time) made me require a scope.

I guess if you're trying to separate the riflemen from the cooks, you should bring irons. In reality, bring the least magnified shot improver you think you can get to 221 with. I will be lobbying my wife to see if this will happen this year.

For tips on rifles, slings, sights, optics and more, visit the Appleseed Project site on the Web, http://appleseedinfo.org/.

How to prepare, http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html.

FAQs, http://appleseedinfo.org/as_faq.html.

As explained on the Web site, the weekend of April 18-19 holds special significance for Appleseed, America and indeed the world, http://appleseedinfo.org/why_april_19.html, because on April 19, 1775, events in Lexington and Concord touched off the American Revolution. Along with marksmanship, Appleseed imparts this history.

Nice fellow, but I don't remember how he did.

I believe the gentleman in question has qualified multiple time, and wanted to wring out the AR..

Those that attend will learn why there is value at sighting in at 25M. But, as has been mentioned before,
using a big-bore for the 2 day event gets expensive. At my first Appleseed I shot 1200 rounds that weekend..

I have seen ARs, AKs, Mosins, Garands, and M1As on the line.. For the price of .308 ammo to feed an M1A alone, you could
probably get a 10/22 set and it up as an LTR.. and the ammo to boot..

But, for those that want to bring a big-bore.. it's your dime..we will be happy to work with you..

If you require optics, no biggie.. My over 50 eyes can't focus the way they used to. I can still manage with irons...and glasses.. but a scope makes my life much easier...difficult to process, but I am finally coming to accept this..I figure it must be a Y-chromosome thing

FWIW- I did have a front sight fall off during an event one year.. pretty funny.. but it did illustrate that Appleseed will put your gear through a wringer.. and the more complicated the gear is, the higher the probablity that it will fail..or at least show its weakness.. Mr. Murphy seems to attend every Appleseed..

Bring what you have..this isn't a contest, it's about YOU becoming the best shooter YOU can be..

Last edited:
You get the patch for shooting a rifleman score (221, iirc). If they shoot it on Sat., they'll get it that day.

There is also a participation patch for the youngsters (in addition to the possibility of earning the Rifleman patch). Attending for one day one day can get them the participation patch IIRC..

I'll be there! Signed up last week. I only have an AR. 22 has been so scarce I never bothered to buy a 22 rifle. Unless I come upon a good deal of ammo and a rifle between now and then it will be an expensive weekend.

If using a scope, you'll want the lowest magnification that allows you to see where your rounds are hitting the target. At too-high magnification, every slight movement of the rifle gets accentuated, the reticle bounces around and becomes difficult to settle in on the target. With my eyes and 4-14x scope, 5x was just right.

I'll be there! Signed up last week. I only have an AR. 22 has been so scarce I never bothered to buy a 22 rifle. Unless I come upon a good deal of ammo and a rifle between now and then it will be an expensive weekend.

Dude, text me later. You can borrow my 15-22. Also, I have a cpl boxes of .22 at non rapey prices with your name on them.

Last edited:
I've participated along with my 13-year-old son in two Appleseed clinics at Harvard with the estimable hbennett & Co. I can confirm that you'll learn a lot about marksmanship fundamentals and have a lot of fun. My son and I plan to attend the coming shoot. A few tips... You'll shoot at 25 meters (88 feet). At that proximity, .22LR shoots well; no need for larger calibers, though a few people will likely use them. As has been pointed out, the round count gets up there, another point in favor of .22 dollar-wise. If there are lots of registrations, to make room for everyone on the firing line you'll lay out out your mat in cozy proximity to a shooter on either side of you, perhaps even with your mats touching. At the first Appleseed I shot, the fellow to my immediate left brought his AR. I got to hear and feel his every shot (plus "catch" a lot of his brass), for a whole day. If you have an accurate .22 (and ammo), I recommend leaving your high-power rifle at home.

I hate to be "that guy" but I only have an AR and a Garand and I wanna shoot an Appleseed one of these days. It it bad form to bring a centerfire gun?

I hate to be "that guy" but I only have an AR and a Garand and I wanna shoot an Appleseed one of these days. It it bad form to bring a centerfire gun?

What a coincidence, like you I also only own an AR and a Garand. Fortunately Mr. Brownstone was kind enough to loan me a 22 so I can save my AR ammo. I think you'll be fine if that's all you've got. After all that was my original plan.

Not at all. Some of the drills are actually centered around the 8 round clip of the M1Garand. You load a mag with 8 and a mag with 2 to simulate.

Out of the two, you will have an easier time with the AR. Bring at least 4 mags as you are required to change magazines 4 times for the timed rounds. (5+ clips if doing the Garand.)

My strategy, which really worked well for myself and my buddy who attended with me, was to shoot .22 on the first day(15-22 for me, 10-22 for him) and to shoot our 5.56 AR's on the second. There were guys there that shot 5.56 AR's the whole time.

Appleseed emphasizes natural point of aim and not 'muscling' in shots. For me, with the light weight .22, I find that I can cheat a shot in easier than with the AR.

Also, even though there is virtually zero recoil with a 5.56 AR-15, there is a difference when one is going off as opposed to a .22. I find that I flinch just a little more with the AR. So dialing in with that on the second day I found to be helpful.

My friend got his patch on the second day, and I was a couple points shy. I have since shot a 'rifleman's' score on my own, and can't wait to get back to do it for a patch!

Hi folks,

Just letting you all know that we may have loaner rifles (and possibly ammo) available if you get in touch in advance. PM me, lupis42, or hbennett.

Curious how the guy with the AR did. I think I could get my patch with an AR with my eyes closed. Closed more than with the .22 lol

Put a quarter (George Washington, $0.25, THAT quarter) at 25 yards. Can you see it?

Now, while your arms are naturally shaking and breathing becomes painfully obvious....can you still see the quarter? [wink]
Now, put a scope on at 4x or 6x power....is that quarter still stable?

This is why I did a few Appleseeds. [wink]

Shooters! We have a little over 3 weeks left before the event! Time to start finding that gear!
Got a sling? Extra mags? A mat? Bring a learn-able attitude and we can help with the rest!

Hope to see you there!

Shooters! There's less than 2 weeks left until the April 18-19 event.. Are you already signed up? Or, are you wait'in and debate'in?
Time's a wasting.. Sign up now, or wish you did!

-hbennett

Back
Top Bottom