Anyone use Hopkinton Sportsmen's Club?

This sounds like an awful place. I'm sure if you like the structure, monitoring and overreach it would be a good place.

Guess I'm just not cut out for that kind of club. I rarely run into anyone at my club when I go to shoot, even on weekends.

To be clear, I did not say I enjoyed the structure, monitoring or overreach. As I said, most other states outside of New England do not have the numbers of clubs to choose from, it is what it is. The facilities are excellent and there were no other choices so it was that club or nothing.

I've been a member at Hopkinton for ~15 years or so....It's a great club! There have been MANY improvements of the years, and have met some very nice folks there. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone! :)

Not a member but I attend the USPSA matches and did the USPSA orientation there. Everyone I have run into has been friendly and the facilities are very nice. If I lived closer, I would try becoming a member. I live a lot closer to the Harvard range.

It's a great club, no complaints. I've been a member probably 4-5 years.

I never understood the bitching about club costs. It's cheaper than pretty much any other annual subscription fee for anything.

Especially not considering its close enough to the shit-loops, everything inside the loops is over $100, at least at HSA you're getting a good value, from what I've witnessed being a guest there
several times. Relative to a lot of its contemporaries, HSA is a gem.

Most of the loop clubs are obnoxious, HSA is considerably not so.

-Mike

It's a great club, no complaints. I've been a member probably 4-5 years.

I never understood the bitching about club costs. It's cheaper than pretty much any other annual subscription fee for anything.
Practices vary by region. In this area clubs are true "clubs" - people getting together to enjoy common interests with everyone chipping in to maintain the place.

In other areas, even outdoor clubs are clubs in name only - like country clubs or health clubs. Owners. employees, investors and customers.

I live a lot closer to the Harvard range.
An equally excellent club.

Old time sour grapes response.....
I was a member there in the early-mid '80's and a volunteer on range instructor for the clubs NRA pistol training class. We did a few classes a year as they included live fire every night as well as classroom for about 5 weeks. We had problems during classroom in the hall due to noise from the bar. When one of our instructors went to the bar to mention it a board member (not entirely sober) told him "We don't need you". So we took the program to another club that did very well by us for years.
I'm sure that things may have changed. Don't know if they still do classes like the NRA Basic Pistol or if the bar is still a big money maker or if the club still participates in the bullseye pistol league (the bar was open during match nights). Time passes.
Rob B is still active there and I'm sure he can set me straight as to how things are now, but that was our experience back then. I'm hoping to be corrected and updated by Rob.
Aside from that, it was a good club--good ranges and 24/7 access to the indoor range.
The Club I'm at had a bar into the 90s. Now it doesn't. It's a better club for it.

The mid 80S was 35 years ago.....most of those members are dead by now. 😂

Last edited:
Been a member a HSA since the early 90s and I've definitely seen most of the changes and overall I think they are all for the better. Friendly people and a very good BOD. What more could you ask for.

Back
Top Bottom