• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone see CSI NY last night?

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
BG's used a .50 to kill a guy....made a BIG hole that they peeked a camera shot thru.

Then the BG's took the .50 and shot holes thru a 4-5 inch thick steel safe door to get at drugs inside.

They placed the shots so it looked like stitching and literally cut a hole in the safe big enough so they pushed the center of it in and and walked thru.

This was done INSIDE the LAB. The gun was about 8 feet from the safe.

question...would a .50 cut thru 4-5 inches of solid steel?

"50 Caliber Armor-Piercing Bullet Penetration

According to expert John Plaster, armor-piercing rounds at the shorter range of 100 yards (one football field) can penetrate nine inches of concrete, 1.8 inches of unarmored steel, 3.5 inches of aluminum, and 96 inches of timber."

Stolen from this website:

http://www.vpc.org/studies/roofone.htm

I wouldn't use any VPC source as a reliable indicator of what a bullet does
or does not do. At best, whatever they state is done out of context, and
at worse, it's probably an outright fabrication or lie, or a modification of a
statement someone else made.

IMO the premise seems kind of bizarre... with one of the big problems being
that if the bullets can go through the door of the safe, wouldn't they damage
stuff inside? (although if it was drugs, it'd prolly just punch holes in the
containers, etc. )

Whatever happened to doing interesting things to a safe, like what
DeNiro did to the safe in "The Score"? I guess these TV writers have
very little sense of adventure.

-Mike

Sounds like BS to me. At the very least they should try to shoot out the pins if they can figure out about where the pins are, but that probably wouldn't work very well either. But, it should be better than trying to shoot a cutout in the door -- that's just absurd.

There was a Myth Busters episode recently where they filled the safe up with water and set off a charge inside it. Whole thing blew to pieces! (The contents didn't fare too well.)

Sounds to me like some desperate writer in a story conference asked: “Hey, did anyone see that old movie “Thunderbolt and Lightfoot”?

Back
Top Bottom