• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone own a Taurus PT-92?

What's the price point difference from a genuine 92f and the Taurus copy?

I have never shot or even held the PT92, so can't comment on quality.

I've had two. Put a few hundred rounds through one, somewhere around 1000 in the second.

Didn't run into any issues with either of them. Like others, preferred the frame safety over the Beretta. Interchangeability (or lack of) does cut down on some of the aftermarket, though.

I won't laud them as being fantastic, but I've certainly had worse guns that cost more money.

But, my group size, like most folks likely will be, is small. Just like cars. You'll get someone who says they owned some brand and it was terrible. Someone else will say they had the same one, and it was great. 🤷‍♂️

Hard to find someone who has owned...say...a few dozen of them, and can give a wider scope on feedback, than just one or two examples.
Well, if only you just bought more guns you’d have a larger sample size!!!

What's the price point difference from a genuine 92f and the Taurus copy?

I have never shot or even held the PT92, so can't comment on quality.
Picked up my Taurus's for around $300-350ish. Berettas tend to be in the $600-700 range? Depending on local market, etc.

If you don't have anything useful to add to the topic then STFU and go whack off, whacko.

OP, the PT92 is good to go. Practice with the DA trigger and once you have it down it's a solid design and an improvement over the Beretta.
The info I keep hearing is Taurus is ok quality wise, but customer service and support is not great.

It’s a great gun. I’ve had mine for thirty years and I’ve had no problems with it. I prefer it to the Beretta because the Taurus has a frame mounted safety.
92xi fixes that.
And rumor has it, you can change the internals around and get it to be a sa/da instead of just a sa.

I can't speak to the present day customer service, but what I have read is that the days of months long waits and unfinished repairs is over.
They were really quick to fix my 22 revolver, a model 941. The crane came off, I brought it to my FFL, he shipped it out and we got it back fixed two weeks later. No charge.

The info I keep hearing is Taurus is ok quality wise, but customer service and support is not great.
When I attend classes from local yokels and the touring guys, I rarely see Taurus guns on the line. Caniks, Glocks, Smiths, Walthers, Sigs, Rugers all show up regularly, but not Taurus. Then again, not many Berettas either.

Oh ffs the second "is this cheep ass 3rd world manufactured Taurus as good as a real gun" thread in 2 days.

Jesus. It's made in f***ing Brazil. Of course many of them have issues. You may get lucky and get a good one......but maybe not.
A friend purchased a Rossi lever carbine, also made in Brazil. He had to take the gun apart and do his own finish work because the internals were so rough, it would often fail to feed and chamber SWC and HP loads. Once he slicked it up, it seemed to do OK with full house JSP .357s but still jammed with the .38s. With all the time, elbow grease and frustration he put into it, he should have just coughed up some extra cash and bought a Winchester, Henry or Marlin lever gun. His "savings" amounted to horseshit!

A friend purchased a Rossi lever carbine, also made in Brazil. He had to take the gun apart and do his own finish work because the internals were so rough, it would often fail to feed and chamber SWC and HP loads. Once he slicked it up, it seemed to do OK with full house JSP .357s but still jammed with the .38s. With all the time, elbow grease and frustration he put into it, he should have just coughed up some extra cash and bought a Winchester, Henry or Marlin lever gun. His "savings" amounted to horseshit!
I have a Henry 357. The owners manual states that it may have trouble feeding 38 special unless they are 158 grain (those are a little longer oal). That said.....mine will still feed 130 grain fmj 38s just fine.

The henry.....had trouble feeding when I first got it. Called Henry and they said take it back to kittery trading post as they are a "preferred Henry dealer" and kittery shipped it back. 8 days later kittery called snd said its all set. Got it back with a box with 2 coffee mugs 2 ball caps and 2 stocking caps and a letter from Anthony Imperato apologizing. The receipt said "adjusted lifter timing" and the gun has been perfect since. So theynare not immune to quality issues but they take care of ot fast and free.

Are Taurus prices really that much lower than the real thing to warrant taking the risk?
I wouldn't risk it but others will. Up to the buyer I guess.

I just stated in my last post that I had problems with a new henry.....but it was fixed fast and free and got a box of swag included when they returned it.

I don't know how Taurus customer service is.

I bought one at the annual sale at the coin gallery in Stoneham back in the early 90’s it was real picky about ammo. Didn’t like most hollow points at all. A lot failure to feed unless I was using ball ammo

I have a Taurus PT 99 AF 9mm that I bought back around 1990. I was on a tight budget back than and the price difference between this Taurus and the Beretta I was also looking at was considerable.

I don't shoot it much anymore but when I did I never had any problems with it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the ugly wood grips with the medallion in the middle. So I changed the grips. I am not here as a Taurus fan boy, just relating my experience as an actual Taurus owner.

Flame away, I am ready for it.........

1699659782018.jpeg

I have a Henry 357. The owners manual states that it may have trouble feeding 38 special unless they are 158 grain (those are a little longer oal). That said.....mine will still feed 130 grain fmj 38s just fine.

The henry.....had trouble feeding when I first got it. Called Henry and they said take it back to kittery trading post as they are a "preferred Henry dealer" and kittery shipped it back. 8 days later kittery called snd said its all set. Got it back with a box with 2 coffee mugs 2 ball caps and 2 stocking caps and a letter from Anthony Imperato apologizing. The receipt said "adjusted lifter timing" and the gun has been perfect since. So theynare not immune to quality issues but they take care of ot fast and free.
Whacko, I am glad that Mr. Imperato and his company made sure that you were properly taken care of. For me, there is no comprise with firearms: either they work every time or they don't. I am more than willing to part with my hard-earned cash for good quality gun.

Whacko, I am glad that Mr. Imperato and his company made sure that you were properly taken care of. For me, there is no comprise with firearms: either they work every time or they don't. I am more than willing to part with my hard-earned cash for good quality gun.
How’s the “military service rifle” (MSR) working for you?

What’s your carry gun?

I didn't like the safety on the 92fs either, it went the 'wrong' way, for us 1911 fans.
That flippy thing on the slide isn't a safety - it's a decocker. Why would you need a safety on a 12 pound trigger? And for those of you who didn't buy the D variant outright, convert the FS to D.

Well, I got the Taurus today and during my function check I dry fired it and it... it fell apart. The transfer bar turned immediately into dust, the front sight roll pin shot out the side, the sight took off like a rocket into space, the barrel blasted into another dimension, then the crane and cylinder must have been made of frozen Mercury because as soon as it hit the floor it melted into a liquid. The frame started smoking, shaking, and shrieking like when Bruce Campbell threw the Necronomicon into the fire in Evil Dead and I quickly tossed it into a conveniently placed basin of Holy Water that had a sign on it that said "Skinflint's Salvation."

I looked at the guy across the counter in his green sweatshirt (obviously signifying his NES status) and he said, "Yeah, that's typical Taurus for ya."

I called Taurus and was on hold for over an hour with Marua's Friday night karoke recordings playing as waiting music until finally what sounded like Lord Humongous answered and after describing to him what happened he responded, suggesting that I "just walk away" and then said something about scoping a .44 Magnum.

I was about to leave dejected when the ghost of Billy Ruger walked out of the closet like Babe Ruth in The Sandlot. He looked at the box with the horny bull on it and with a coy smile he said, "Nobody needs more than 5 rounds in a pocket revolver. Here ya go, boy, this SP101 is a real hot piece of American steel."

I picked up the SP and said, "Billy, it's so big and the trigger... it's so hard to pull."

Bill said he "likes them big and hard" then proceeded to point out the grips and said he just loves rubber covered wood because it's "safer."

I asked the price of the SP and felt a shooting pain go right thru my ass when he told me, like it'd been sore all day. Ruger's ghost said he had to go back to the big shooting range in the sky as his "partner" Alex doesn't like not knowing where he is for longer than 10 minutes and because they're expecting Gaston and Kellgren to join them any day now.

I'll never think about buying a Taurus again!

Taurus makes a 92FS clone call PT-92. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this pistol.

I used to have a 92FS which I liked a lot because of its reliability, and am wondering if the PT-92 has any issues.

In 1990 I bought a first gen Taurus PT99 (mfgr'd May 1988, blued, with three 15rd mag's) for about $400 to replace carrying my S&W Mod 66-2 revolver when I was doing security work in Boston. Over the years I've shot thousands of rounds through the Taurus without an issue. Most recently another few hundred last month. IMO it's a solid, well-balanced, full-size weapon and with its SA/DA, it feels like it only takes a feather to pull the trigger or so it seems. Granted, it's no longer my choice for EDC, but I think it's a great gun and I would never think to sell it.

I do recall reading a handful of complaints back in the late 90's and early ought's, which if I remember involved some bad metal in the second gen model introduced in the early 1990's, but I understood the issues were resolved by Taurus. I think if you come across a PT92 or PT99 these days, I would believe it would be a solid choice if it's had some use behind it.

Back
Top Bottom