Anyone not like Trijicon night sights?

Or night sights in general. The Trijicons on my G26 stink IMO. They are relatively new and are fine in darkness but man they just look like crap in the daylight. The thin white ring seems to have darkened or the paint just came off resulting in a crappy site picture IMO. I'm thinking of buying the std metal sights.

Lugnut,

I'm with you on this. I tolerate them on my carry gun only because they'll come in handy at night, but I don't like them.

I have a love/hate relationship with night sights.

On some guns I prefer them, and on others I'd rather just leave the factory
sights on a gun.

For instance, I think SigSauer handguns come with terrible factory sights... I don't like the bar/dot arrangement at all, so anything is an improvement.

On the other hand, I've had cases where night sights just "didnt work" right on a particular gun with wrong POA, etc.

Tell you one thing though.. if I add them to a particular gun, I think long
and hard before I change them, though... eg... "does this gun really
NEED that? " If it shoots fine out of the box then I generally leave it
alone!

-Mike

I am not a high speed operator so take this with a grain of salt as this is just a theory of mine.

Plain black rear + fiber optic front + Crimson trace laser grips.

You are covered in all scenarios with the tools you need for quick precise shooting. The only issue I see with that combo is training. You don't want to be going for the sights when you need to be using the dot. One person told me he was able to draw and do a mozambique in two seconds. Any hesitation when selecting an aiming method could ruin a time like that.

Or night sights in general. The Trijicons on my G26 stink IMO. They are relatively new and are fine in darkness but man they just look like crap in the daylight. The thin white ring seems to have darkened or the paint just came off resulting in a crappy site picture IMO. I'm thinking of buying the std metal sights.

Try cleaning the sights. Most likely there is some carbon build up. BUT Relying on the white rings of the night sights is not a good idea. Use the sights not the rings. Try to use them as a standard black sight and see the difference.

Plain black rear + fiber optic front + Crimson trace laser grips.

For carry, Fiber optic is just too fragile. Relying on a Crimson trace is all well and good until the batteries die. Then what.

I prefer night sights on a carry gun and in the time I have used them, I have had good luck with them. I prefer green front and yellow rear in the night sights. Green is the brightest Tritium vile for sights they make so they light up real well. The contrast of the yellow for the rear forces a good sight picture with front sight concentration.

Trijicon is a very good sight as are Meprolite sights. The Meps offer the different color front and rear that I like but Trijicon made me a set for my 625.

Regards,

Tritium vials fall out occasionally. They all have failure their own failure modes. I have heard the argument that fiber optic sights are fragile and break, but I have never had one break because they are ruined by oil (coating dissolves and no longer traps light) and need to be replaced before that point. Even if the fiber does break you still have a black front sight with a hole in it. There is one company that makes a combination Tritium and fiber optic front sight, but I have heard complaints that the expensive rods can be ruined by solvents.

CT batteries do die, and it is definitely a consideration, but that could be considered a maintenance or carry rig issue. If the laser is being activated as you carry then something needs to change. Hopefully you find out there is a problem when the batteries die sooner rather then later when you need it. Regular replacement of the batteries on a schedule is a must.

There is one company that makes a combination Tritium and fiber optic front sight

That would be TruGlo and their TFO sights. I just got some, will be putting them on my G17 that just came back from a factory refurbishment. I like them for the reason mentioned above, night sights are not so great as dot sights during the day. I'm not at all a fan of my Heine Straight-8's on my G26. If the TFOs work on my IDPA gun, they're going on my carry gun too.

I'll let you know how they look, work, and last over the shooting season.

-= chuck

I've had the TruGlo TFO's on my Sig P220 for some time now and they are great in any lighting situation. I've had CTC laser grip on my j-frame for years and still haven't changed the battery. The cats love the laser, too.[grin]

BUT Relying on the white rings of the night sights is not a good idea. Use the sights not the rings. Try to use them as a standard black sight and see the difference.
+1

During the day, don't try to line up the dots. Instead, line up the top of the front sight blade with the top of the rear sight. Look for the metal, not the white outlines.

+1

During the day, don't try to line up the dots. Instead, line up the top of the front sight blade with the top of the rear sight. Look for the metal, not the white outlines.

I'm not necessarily saying that I'm looking for the white ring but they just look messy to me. Some white some not... like a half circle.... I'd be ok with all white or all black. I'd be fine it they where like the black on black sights on my 1911...

I'm thinking of trying the all metal Glock sites. In darkness I wouldn't shoot in the dark without a flashlight, in which case night sights don't matter. In limited darkness- they may have an advantage when a flashlight isn't available... but then again I'm not going to debate their usefulless here.

I have a 1911 with Novak bar-dot night sights and I love them. They
are far easier to acquire a target with at night than another other night
sights I have used.

LMC-04-COLT-NS-BAR.jpg

F

Tritium vials fall out occasionally. They all have failure their own failure modes. I have heard the argument that fiber optic sights are fragile and break, but I have never had one break because they are ruined by oil (coating dissolves and no longer traps light) and need to be replaced before that point. Even if the fiber does break you still have a black front sight with a hole in it. There is one company that makes a combination Tritium and fiber optic front sight, but I have heard complaints that the expensive rods can be ruined by solvents.

CT batteries do die, and it is definitely a consideration, but that could be considered a maintenance or carry rig issue. If the laser is being activated as you carry then something needs to change. Hopefully you find out there is a problem when the batteries die sooner rather then later when you need it. Regular replacement of the batteries on a schedule is a must.

And your experience on that is what? Something you read somewhere? From someone that has a restricted LTC you seem to have some very far out opinions with very little experience to back them up.

I would suggest the problems you state are extremely limited and come from someone with extremely limited experience.

I'm opposite of Chuck on the Heinie's. I have the Straight 8 Slant Pros on both of the Glocks and like the presentation. I have used these sights on a G17 for a 2 day tactical pistol class outside in sunlight and like the reduction of glare these give. I have a Sig P226 with fading night sights ( Trijcon ) and I find myself fighting with the alignment on the 3 dots in the dark. I don't have that problem with the Heinie's.

Joe R.

Joe R.

I have a 1911 with Novak bar-dot night sights and I love them.
I've got a 1911 with Novaks and I hate them. I find that the rear sight is too busy and it attracts my attention. In addition, the curved portions of the rear sight are such that if the sun is anywhere behind you, some portion of that curved part will reflect the sun. I much prefer Heinie's rear sight to Novaks.

I've got a pair of Novak straight-eight sights and they work far better for me than Novaks. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom