Anyone make their own muzzle brakes/comps?

Looking at muzzle brakes and compensators. These things are BASIC. Looks to me that other than the threading, these things arent even that precise. So long as the bullet has clearance to pass through, they are 99% just baffles and holes drilled in a piece of barstock.

I think with my milling machine and lathe, this would be a pretty easy project. I also have a rotary table with an indexer that would make drilling concentric holes pretty simple, if needed.

Anyone doing this? It must be fairly common as people are selling pre-threaded blanks on ebay.

Looking at muzzle brakes and compensators. These things are BASIC. Looks to me that other than the threading, these things arent even that precise. So long as the bullet has clearance to pass through, they are 99% just baffles and holes drilled in a piece of barstock.

I think with my milling machine and lathe, this would be a pretty easy project. I also have a rotary table with an indexer that would make drilling concentric holes pretty simple, if needed.

Anyone doing this? It must be fairly common as people are selling pre-threaded blanks on ebay.

just tool up the lathe and bang them out. give it a try. I wish i had the room for a mill

I've made a couple along with male/female gauges for the 1/2-28 thread on my mini-lathe(7x12) - it's not hard but is nit picky work if you want a tight fitting thread.

Taper and plug taps make the job a lot less interesting than blind single pointing a female thread on the lathe but single point is the best way to keep everything as concentric as possible.

Buy an inexpensive flash hider and tig weld a washer on the front. Instant muzzle brake on the cheap.

For those of us in states that matter, how would the process go if you want to be sure you made a comp/brake and NOT a flash hider? Do or could these be tested somewhere?

For those of us in states that matter, how would the process go if you want to be sure you made a comp/brake and NOT a flash hider? Do or could these be tested somewhere?
There isn't one. During the federal ban, the ATF's technical division reviewed muzzle devices and decided what was what. MA has not equivalent, so you're never going to get a determinations. That would be a good thing, but it's kind of moot now that the AG has decided that it's irrelevant.

There isn't one. During the federal ban, the ATF's technical division reviewed muzzle devices and decided what was what. MA has not equivalent, so you're never going to get a determinations. That would be a good thing, but it's kind of moot now that the AG has decided that it's irrelevant.
Good to know, thanks. Don't market it as a FH I guess :)

I've made a few. My only advice would be to drill both your thru hole and your tapped hole from the same end. Just to be sure they are running concentric with each other.

Last edited:
For most who have the ability to do so, it isn't worth the time. Possible? Very much so. Why take the hours to do on manual machines what CNC machines do in minutes, though?

Flash hider has a big hole. Brake has a hole just big enough fot the projectile to pass through.

For most who have the ability to do so, it isn't worth the time. Possible? Very much so. Why take the hours to do on manual machines what CNC machines do in minutes, though?
Having the ability to match the design to the rifle is worth it for some people. For others, just process of going from stock to functional part is rewarding enough for it to be worth it them.

Flash hider has a big hole. Brake has a hole just big enough fot the projectile to pass through.

Exactly. The idea with a FH is that the shape creates an area of low pressure and air is drawn IN through the holes. A Venturi shape creates the vacuum, the incoming air mixes with the hot combustion gasses, cooling them and reducing flash.

A muzzle brake forces air OUT through the holes by having an exit aperture only slightly larger than the bullet. This jet of hot gas contains kinetic energy (mass and velocity) that can be used to push the gun in a desired direction.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, the only reason to ever do this yourself is for the sheer pleasure of doing it yourself.

Don't forget the final step - declare your design as revolutionary and claim if offers 40% greater recoil reduction than anything on the market.
Here's one I'm working on now.
That thing looks like it would also work as a bayonet.

Back
Top Bottom