• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know where to get Unicorn Droppings (primers) for non ass rape pricing?

I just checked some invoices. In 11/2019 I paid $31.20 per thousand for a case each of Small & Large Federal Primers shipped to me. In 3/2020 I paid $32.52 per thousand for cases of Small Pistol and Small Rifle. Now they are listed for $71.15 and out of stock. So well over 100% increase. I may be shooting more .45's this year based on primers. Have to see when and how much they will price stabilize at.

Last edited:
They work the best for sure. Regular SR primers will pierce and cause nothing but trouble.
I've only used #41s, as I just started loading .223 for ARs and just went straight to that. How would you compare those to #450s? I gather the #41s have a harder or thicker cup to prevent slam fires, but have no experience with any other rifle primers.

I've only used #41s, as I just started loading .223 for ARs and just went straight to that. How would you compare those to #450s? I gather the #41s have a harder or thicker cup to prevent slam fires, but have no experience with any other rifle primers.
I believe #41 is same with #450 - both are magnum with thick cup

Sorry, I didn't word that well. I mean do you notice a difference in how much the cups flatten out for a given load between the two?
Sorry, I do not have any #41 now to compare. #450 starts getting flattened after 2850fps with 69gn SMK, but not extremely. I seem to have best accuracy from my 20” barrel at 2750-2800 so I do not need to push further.

Sorry, I do not have any #41 now to compare. #450 starts getting flattened after 2850fps with 69gn SMK, but not extremely. I seem to have best accuracy from my 20” barrel at 2750-2800 so I do not need to push further.
I just loaded my first 69 grain SMKs last night and ran them today, 23.0 grains of AA2230, 5 shot average out of a 16" barrel was 2595fps. No flattening on the #41s.

I just loaded my first 69 grain SMKs last night and ran them today, 23.0 grains of AA2230, 5 shot average out of a 16" barrel was 2595fps. No flattening on the #41s.
I posted my last test in the sweet spot thread here.
25.3gn of aa2520 was good at 2800fps. Should get varget soon - should also be good with same 25.3gn. I will post more results when get time to go to the range - with TAC, 8208, CFE223.

it is fecking insane - brown rams just sold out on small rifle benchrest primers at the $139.99 per box. #400 is still there at $82 (as i was writing this - sold out too) , but, a $140 per box of BR - damn.
last order i found in history was at 10/28th and the price was $124.99 for large rifle ones that was also a boost from, i think, $112 or so couple of weeks prior, i recall feeling rather stupid ordering 2 boxes at that price back then. really, wtf?
Eh you either need it or you dont. Its not like your finding it for much less all that easy.
My friend called me huffing and puffing “I cant find 30/30” I said NO SHIT JackAss
When I asked you IF you wanted in on the ammo buy back in 2/2020 before things get stupid. His response “ dude buying ammo by the thousands is stupid”
Yes my friend it is.

Well he asked me if I could find him some 30/30 , I did 1000 round case of win coreloke $1950.00 plus $48 shipping.
I think hes still crying

pv apparently duplicated all listings and while all out of stock, all the primers that were at $75 are now priced at $105.
synchronously with that brown rams had #41 small rifle primers in stock in the morning, also priced at $105.
it really does not look like this bullshit with prices is going to stop any time soon.

Last edited:
apparently duplicated all listings and while all out of stock, all the primers that were at $75 are now priced at $105.
synchronously with that brown rams had #41 small rifle primers in stock in the morning, also priced at $105.
it really does not look like this bullshit with prices is going to stop any time soon.
Those are APS strips that are $105.
And the 41 primers have always been more expensive than regular primers.
Can you remove the vendor name from your post? Thanks

P***** V***** apparently duplicated all listings and while all out of stock, all the primers that were at $75 are now priced at $105.
The primers marked at $105 are the APS variety.

Last edited:
{vendor} apparently duplicated all listings and while all out of stock, all the primers that were at $75 are now priced at $105.

I honestly don't think that prices are going to fall. If you're reloading, adjust to the current prices and buy what you need. Shop around, try to buy locally so that you don't have to pay freight and hazmat - but sitting on your butt, saying that you're not buying at this pricepoint - just means that your supply on hand is dwindling - or you're not reloading.

I loaded 600 rounds of .45, 400 rounds of 357sig and 1000 rounds of 9mm within the past week. That's two types of primers and three different powders.
Tricky thing for me is looking at the shelves and determining if I'm getting low on any of the three different primer types or the four different powder types that I keep on hand.
Yeah, there's a thread for that 'first world problems'

The primers marked at $105 are the APS variety.
I honestly don't think that prices are going to fall. If you're reloading, adjust to the current prices and buy what you need. Shop around, try to buy locally so that you don't have to pay freight and hazmat - but sitting on your butt, saying that you're not buying at this pricepoint - just means that your supply on hand is dwindling.

Can you remove the first 2 words in paul's post that you quoted? We don't want to post vendor names publicly.

Those are APS strips that are $105.
And the 41 primers have always been more expensive than regular primers.
Can you remove the vendor name from your post? Thanks
old listing also has same aps strips box, i did not notice $105 before
1638898175388.png

I honestly don't think that prices are going to fall. If you're reloading, adjust to the current prices and buy what you need. Shop around, try to buy locally so that you don't have to pay freight and hazmat - but sitting on your butt, saying that you're not buying at this pricepoint - just means that your supply on hand is dwindling - or you're not reloading.

I loaded 600 rounds of .45, 400 rounds of 357sig and 1000 rounds of 9mm within the past week. That's two types of primers and three different powders.
Tricky thing for me is looking at the shelves and determining if I'm getting low on any of the three different primer types or the four different powder types that I keep on hand.
not to drop is one thing, but to see it increasing every other day by $30 is something else.

Agreed. This is the new price point. It's not just supply and demand, it's the increased costs of raw materials and higher transport & shipping costs that have also gone up.

Last edited:
Agreed. This is the new price point. It's not just supply and demand, it's the increased costs of raw materials and higher transport & shipping costs that have also increased.
The best explanation was from a NES member (forget who) who made the remark about supply cost increases - "I'll increase my prices to cover it and add a little something for myself". It's the "little something for myself" vendors are adding that is the real killer, otherwise known as pricing to market - a concept that is good when you are selling an appreciated asset but somehow morally bad when a seller does it to you.

insanity is getting stronger every day - a 5lb of varget goes now at $505 :
People are nuts buying reloading stuff on GB.

Natchez just had Varget, H4895 and a few others in stock a little while ago

They do have 1 pounders of H4350. The 8 pounders sold out quick.

And for anyone reading this thread, Natchez does NOT ship to MA so we can post links from Natchez.

Back
Top Bottom