Anyone know of HAM classes in the area? Walpole

edin508

NES Member
I got talked into getting my HAM lic., wasn't hard to do! Now I need to find a class local to me, Walpole area, so I can start the process of getting my tech lic.. Just missed the only local class that I know of by a few weeks.
I recently joined my local CERT group and think this could come in handy. Where should I start? Should I get the book first, or do I get that at my first class from the instructor?

You have several options but they all involve doing the on-line practice tests. I like the ones at http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

The FCC publishes both the test questions and answers. The Tech test has a pool of 350 questions from which the questions for your 35 question test are drawn. All the online practice tests use the real FCC questions and answers to generate a real world tests to practice with. There are settings so you can find out after answering each question if you got it right, or wait until you've answered all questions.

I would get the ARRL study guide and alternate between it and doing practice tests. When you are passing the practice tests most of the time you are ready. I think this is what most people do.

Unfortunately I don't know of any clubs that give ham classes, but I know they are out there.

Another approach is the "get your license in 1 day class". The club in Gloucester is giving its Tech-in-a-Day class on 10/25. Search this forum and you'll find a long thread from 2 years ago when about 10 NESers got their ticket at one. Basically it's a full day of studying the questions and memorizing the correct answers. Usually all the adults pass and most kids older than 13 pass. (my son passed at 11). Cost is $20, $15 of which is the FCC's required fee. The $5 covers the study material and snacks the club provides. A lot of people look down on this approach but I'm OK with it. As they say, don't worry about the theory, just focus on learning the right answers. If you stick with this hobby the theory will come in time. Mainly be sure to learn the rules and procedures enough to stay out of trouble. You actually learn a lot just by memorizing the correct answers.

The best thing you can do is join a club or find a ham to be your "Elmer" (coach/ ham buddy). Nothing replaces learning by being around people.

We are running a class and exam in October in Taunton at Morton Hospital. The classes will be held on October 4, 11, and 18. The review and test will be on November 1. PM me if you are interested in signing up for this class.

The only problem with the Tech-in-a-day classes is that the students actually learn very little, just enough to pass the test without any fundamental knowledge being imparted. When we run a tech class, we follow the ARRL syllabus and teach the theory so that newly minted tech's actually have a clue.

I used the online test at QRZ. Studied for about a week or so a couple hours a night. Once you are regularly getting 85-90 you are ready to pass the test. I passed the tech with 1 wrong and the general with 2 wrong. If you know anything about basic electronics that will cover about 20% of the questions. There is some overlap for the 2 tests. If you study for both you can take them both the same day for the same price.

I found this one on ARRL.org but it started on the 6th. You might want to contact the person running it to see if/when they'll do it again. if you go the ARRL site you can enter your zip code and set a range to see other classes.

That is the class I found out about a bit too late, it's right down the street from me too.

PM on the way n1oty.

And I think I will check out the on-line stuff too just to prepare.

Thanks, N1oty. Just came home with my book from Barnes and Nobel, time to start flipping through it to see what I'm in for. Time to start looking for a Radio too!

*****Update on the Technician class in Taunton***********

The hospital needs their conference room on the 4th. The start date will instead be on the 11th. I will PM the two NES members who have indicated interest in this class. For anyone else that may be interested in this class, it will begin at 9 AM on Saturday, October 11th at the Stone Conference Room at Morton Hospital. I apologize for any inconvenience.

I was the guy sitting in front of you! I'll seek you out at the meeting this Thursday. (If I go)

-JR

If there is anyone that would like to get in on this class at the last minute, I have a couple of spare Technician manuals that I purchased today and can make available at my cost ($29). The class is free and the only other expense at the end of the class is the test fee. The class starts at 9 AM in the Margaret Stone conference room at Morton Hospital in Taunton. There is plenty of room.

Thanks for running this class, John! I am now a tech. lic. holder, just need to wait for the FCC to issue me a call sign.

Good luck in your new ham "career". Although the class was small, we had a lot of fun teaching it.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, for anyone interested, we will be running an Extra class this spring.

Look yourself up on qrz.com. You'll see "Lookups". That's how many people have looked you up there. Old, super active hams have tens of thousands.

Back
Top Bottom