Anyone here necksize only?

Same here. I segregate the brass fired in my 700P and neck size it using a set of Lee Necksize dies. The brass really lasts when you do it that way. Just make sure the loads don't find their way into a gas gun. I also use CCI Benchrest primers.

I'm Using a Lee collet die for the first time, is it normal for the bullet to be "loose" in the case. When I say loose I mean I can actually move the bulet in and out of the neck with my finger and I am wondering if I should screwed the die in a little more? Do you guys crimp on your rounds? I crimped my first batch because I was concerned that they would get pushed in during handling. This is .223 and my start up load is 24gr of 748 with a Sierra 69grHPBT seated .020" of the rifling.
Thanks,

Walter...

Last edited:
When I say loose I mean I can actually move the bulet in and out of the neck with my finger and I am wondering if I should screwed the die in a little more?

Some people do what is called soft seating the bullet, by applying very little neck tension. That way when they load the cartridge into the chamber and close the bolt, the rifling allows you to push the bullet back into the case so that the they are all seated against the rifling the same way. It's a fairly specialized technique and I've never known anyone to do it with a semi auto.

Do you guys crimp on your rounds? I crimped my first batch because I was concerned that they would get pushed in during handling. This is .223 and my start up load is 24gr of 748 with a Sierra 69grHPBT seated .020" of the rifling.

I have read that a few people get slightly better results with a crimp. However I do not crimp anything for rifles. I have found that I can get very good results without doing that. I cant think of any commercial match grade rifle ammunition that has a crimp.

You should be able to adjust the die to give you a little more neck tension. You only need enough to hold the bullet firmly so you cant move it with your fingers.

B

I'm Using a Lee collet die for the first time, is it normal for the bullet to be "loose" in the case. When I say loose I mean I can actually move the bulet in and out of the neck with my finger and I am wondering if I should screwed the die in a little more? ...

Walter...
Walter,
The case neck should be about .003" smaller than the bullet.
Re-read Lee's instructions for setting the die and you will be allright.
If you can't get proper results by following the instructions, there may be a problem with the die.
According to what I have read on other forums, Lee's quality control is apparently a little lax these days.
You should not be able to move the bullet with finger pressure.
A Rifle bullet that is pushed back into the case can raise pressures dramatically. I have seen a rifle blown up because of this.

Jack

Walter,
The case neck should be about .003" smaller than the bullet.
Re-read Lee's instructions for setting the die and you will be allright.
If you can't get proper results by following the instructions, there may be a problem with the die.
According to what I have read on other forums, Lee's quality control is apparently a little lax these days.
You should not be able to move the bullet with finger pressure.
A Rifle bullet that is pushed back into the case can raise pressures dramatically. I have seen a rifle blown up because of this.

Jack

The directions state to screw the die in until in touches the shellholder, then one full turn more which is what I did. but it also states you can turn it in 1/4 turn more for a tighter fit so perhaps I should have turned it that one more 1/4 turn . That's why I crimped them and even crimped I can still spin the bullet in the neck on some rounds. I am going to single load them when I fire them so as not to push the bullet back during feeding. I'm wondering if I used enough pressure on the press handle as well? This is my first attempt at necksizing only so I am sure there is a little bit of a learning curve.

Walter...

Walter,
If you are using a compound linkage press, such as the RCBS Rockchucker, you should be able to size the cases easily with the collet die. Some other presses may not have enough mechanical advantage to do this without you putting all of your weight on the handle.
The arbour, inside the die, limits how far you can size the diameters. If the arbour is oversize, or if your bullets are small, you will not be able to get the inside neck diameter small enough.

Jack

Walter,
If the crimping is tight enough to keep the bullets from being pushed back into the cases, even though you can turn them, it should be safe to fire them. Accuracy might not be great though.
I found a picture of the Lee Classic cast press and it looks like it is compound linkage, so it should work out OK.
Don't be shy about putting some force to the press handle when sizing.
I've only sized a few cases with the collet dies but found that it does require a firm hand to get results.

Walter,
If the crimping is tight enough to keep the bullets from being pushed back into the cases, even though you can turn them, it should be safe to fire them. Accuracy might not be great though.
I found a picture of the Lee Classic cast press and it looks like it is compound linkage, so it should work out OK.
Don't be shy about putting some force to the press handle when sizing.
I've only sized a few cases with the collet dies but found that it does require a firm hand to get results.

Jack,

Thanks for insights. I've been reloading for sometime but now I am really getting into tweaking things such as uniforming meplats, seating bullets off the rifling and such so it's kind of a new learning experience for me...Thanks to the rest of you guys as well.

Walter...

I'm Using a Lee collet die for the first time, is it normal for the bullet to be "loose" in the case. When I say loose I mean I can actually move the bulet in and out of the neck with my finger and I am wondering if I should screwed the die in a little more? Do you guys crimp on your rounds? I crimped my first batch because I was concerned that they would get pushed in during handling. This is .223 and my start up load is 24gr of 748 with a Sierra 69grHPBT seated .020" of the rifling.
Thanks,

Walter...

My set-up is different from yours so really can't say what the problem might be. With the bushing dies I can allow for the varying thickness of different manufacturers brass (could be that the brass you're using is really thin?). The only rifle ammo that needs to be crimped is for bullets with a cannelure. Ammo for gas guns should be full length resized (I forget the exact reason why).

I believe LEE recommend 25lbs of force when Neck sizing. When I first started loading .308, I stood on a scale when neck sizing[smile]

If I tried to guess the amount of force. I would occasionally get a case that didn't size correctly.

There's nothing wrong with sloooowly punching out and reusing a live primer. Follow Lee's instructions - turn the die down far enough that you can't cam-over the press, or raise it to the top of it's stroke. Then, the amount of pressure you use will determine how much sizing you do to the neck up to the max.

I see. With the Redding Bushing Neck Dies you can take out the decapper and expander and just run the case into the die with the appropriate bushing. You can do the same with a full length RCBS or Redding die but you want to keep the expander on the mandrel, otherwise the die squeezes the case neck a little too tight to get a bullet in.

Cant you get another mandrel from Lee and grind off the pin and then resize the necks?

How many rounds did you load up?

B

There's nothing wrong with sloooowly punching out and reusing a live primer. Follow Lee's instructions - turn the die down far enough that you can't cam-over the press, or raise it to the top of it's stroke. Then, the amount of pressure you use will determine how much sizing you do to the neck up to the max.

The press that I am using has a positive stop before it cams over, I think I just needed to screw the die in a little more, we'll see, I'm going to do a new batch this weekend.

Thanks, Walter...

I see. With the Redding Bushing Neck Dies you can take out the decapper and expander and just run the case into the die with the appropriate bushing. You can do the same with a full length RCBS or Redding die but you want to keep the expander on the mandrel, otherwise the die squeezes the case neck a little too tight to get a bullet in.

Cant you get another mandrel from Lee and grind off the pin and then resize the necks?

How many rounds did you load up?

B

Only 40. I'm sure I could get another mandrel but I'll just pop em off this weekend. I think this is operator error rather than equipment problem, but hey, making mistakes is how you learn, right?

Well, I took all the rounds to the range this morning not expecting good results, more to just empty the cases. What a shock I got. They actually did quite well. My best group was a five shot group with four making one hole about the size of a nickle and one flyer at 100 yds even with the loose bullets. I did adjust the die in another quarter turn for the next batch and that seems to do the trick. Once again thanks for the input guys......

Back
Top Bottom