• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have STACK-ON safe?

We just got a Field and Stream (AKA, Stack-On) 24 gun safe from Dickies. I was pretty impressed with it. It should suit us just fine. Does anyone have one of these? What do you like/not like about it? Only think so far I do not like is the combo dial is a litte touchy.

I have one with an electronic lock. It is very nice. 1400* Fire rating I believe.

Only problem is I was going to buy a 14 gun, and decided to get the 24 gun. It is still way too small. I Can only fit about 3 ARs per side.

Picked up an 18 gun Stack-On Sentinel on black friday in Walmart. There were 4 default configurations that were selectable. I ended up drilling a couple of more holes for the barrel supports for my smaller evil AR's and AK, but overall a great value. Really pleased with it. Mine had some dings from handling (several comments on that if you look on Amazon and such), but I still can't complain given the price.

I picked one up the beginning of this month at Kittery Trading Post. They're running a sale and I got the 24 gun "Elite" safe with electronic keypad for $599+tax. Fits all my ammo on one side and a few guns on the other. No way you can fit 24 guns in it. I'd say scoped guns count as 3 and non-scoped count as 2

I have seen them. Personally I would not buy one. I have far to much invested in my firearms to trust there safety to a safe with no fire protection or much in the way of theft protection.

I have seen them. Personally I would not buy one. I have far to much invested in my firearms to trust there safety to a safe with no fire protection or much in the way of theft protection.

I researched quite a bit and found that you need to spend thousands to get anything decent for security/fire proof. I realize Stack-ON is about bottom of the barrel, but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money for a Fort Knox or high end Browning. No safe is theft proof or fire proof for that matter, some are just better than others. At the end of the day I feel my Stack-ON protects me from the petty criminal. That's why I joined the NRA and they offer insurance policies on the cheap. You get $2500 coverage just for being a member and if you want more you sign up for it. 25k of coverage for $1.75/month. Just have good documentation and it picks up where home insurance falls short. Not to derail the thread with insurance and what not, but that was my thought process with Stack-ON

Last edited:
I have the 14 gun safe with the electronic entry. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm already running out of room. The ammo storage is defiantly limited and with 5 long guns and a few shelves for handguns, I'm pretty much maxed out. It's rated up to 1400 degrees for 30 minutes, and I guess that's better than nothing.

I think the formula they use for safe capacities is the same one they use for rating tents (ever try to fit 4 people in a 4 person tent?) I think I've figured it out though. Take the given capacity, divide by two and subtract one. That's how many will actually fit. lol

I have the 8 gun Stack On. While it is cheap - I paid $89 delivered from Amazon - it does make you Ma. locked legal. The look is OK and the finish is decent. No real sharp edges to cut you or ding you friends on. I installed it with one side all plywood for hooks and a 1.5x larger ammo shelf. Dicks has the 10 Stack On for $99 now. Hard to beat that.

Been looking at them at BJ's. they have the 24 gun for $499 dont think its an elite though.

Picked up an 18 gun Stack-On Sentinel on black friday in Walmart. There were 4 default configurations that were selectable. I ended up drilling a couple of more holes for the barrel supports for my smaller evil AR's and AK, but overall a great value. Really pleased with it. Mine had some dings from handling (several comments on that if you look on Amazon and such), but I still can't complain given the price.

I have the 18 as well. Keep it in my bedroom. About 5' tall? Light enough to move around (empty) by yourself. Can also be secured to the wall. Plenty of room for all my cleaning supplies, ammo, pistols, & rifles with room to grow.

Thing I don't like about it is there's no cushioning in the door jam - straight metal on metal. Marked the keys so I knew which way they went in (not bi-directional). Had to add some weather stripping to reduce the noise from closing & walking around the house. Otherwise, its a great low-cost safe storage unit.

Future mods: Lighting

I agree. To the OP. You will reach a point where it doesn't make sense to put your guns in a cheap safe. A safe is, by definition, a place where you concentrate all your portable material wealth.
If you have $10,000 worth of guns, it seems foolish to me to put them in a $500 safe. But thats just me. Remember that if you are broken into, the thief will focus their efforts on any safes they find.

So in my mind, if you don't have kids, you are better off hiding your guns very well than you are putting them into a cheap safe. In fact, a cheap safe as a "honeypot" can be a very useful way to waste a thief's time.

Another option is to buy one of the many VERY VERY secure business safes available for pennies on the dollar from Craigslist. These safes dont have nice interiors or electronic locks. You put your valuable stuff in there and only put the stuff you shoot regularly into your "everyday" safe with an electronic lock.

A buddy of mine has this setup. He's got a TL-30-6 safe hidden that has his machine guns, suppressors, and custom 1911s as well as his nice rifles. His everyday safe is a canon places somewhere convenient to him with a couple of Glocks, a 1911 an AR and a couple of .22s. Total value in the nearly impenetrable 4000 lb safe is probably $40K. Total value in the every day safe is probably $2500.

Don

I have the 8 gun Stack On. While it is cheap - I paid $89 delivered from Amazon - it does make you Ma. locked legal. The look is OK and the finish is decent. No real sharp edges to cut you or ding you friends on. I installed it with one side all plywood for hooks and a 1.5x larger ammo shelf. Dicks has the 10 Stack On for $99 now. Hard to beat that.

Those are stack-on cabinets, not safes. stack-on safes are like $400 and up

I got the 14 gun lock lock cabinet. Works for me . The little shelf really not good for ammo. It's plastic so it bows. I mainly put my mags on it.
My dad has a few of them. Made a wood frame shelf in side for ammo.

I have 5 14 gun stack on cabinets for my guns and 3 for my ammo, the stack ons can be opened with a sawzall or a crowbar but I keep them in my gun room which has no window and a commercial combo lock on the door and a 24x7 monitored alarm system. It works because my youngest son put the ambush code in by mistake and half the dept showed up in 2 minutes. He was lucky he was in uniform when he answered the door.

Thing I don't like about it is there's no cushioning in the door jam - straight metal on metal. Marked the keys so I knew which way they went in (not bi-directional). Had to add some weather stripping to reduce the noise from closing & walking around the house. Otherwise, its a great low-cost safe storage unit.

Future mods: Lighting

Yessir. I'm probably going to outfit the walls with some commercial carpeting tiles to keep my precious-es from touching the metal walls. I don't have an outlet in my closet there, so I'll probably get an LED battery powered tap-light of some sort as well.

I have 5 14 gun stack on cabinets for my guns and 3 for my ammo, the stack ons can be opened with a sawzall or a crowbar but I keep them in my gun room which has no window and a commercial combo lock on the door and a 24x7 monitored alarm system. It works because my youngest son put the ambush code in by mistake and half the dept showed up in 2 minutes. He was lucky he was in uniform when he answered the door.

That combination of a layered defense and an alarm is a great way to go.

The room and then the safe cost the thief time, while the alarm denies him the time he needs to defeat both layers.

Don

Yessir. I'm probably going to outfit the walls with some commercial carpeting tiles to keep my precious-es from touching the metal walls. I don't have an outlet in my closet there, so I'll probably get an LED battery powered tap-light of some sort as well.

+1 For the tap lights. I've seen a couple different setups where some are even motion sensitive, so you don't have to press them & will turn off on their own.

If (when) my collection grows so large to out grow this cabinet, then I'll move this out into the garage & be purchasing a real safe & use this primarily for ammo or reloading supplies.

That combination of a layered defense and an alarm is a great way to go.

The room and then the safe cost the thief time, while the alarm denies him the time he needs to defeat both layers.

Don

I have a stack on safe that I put in a closet where I also secured the door to the closet with a 3/4 inch piece of plywood on the back side, a locking knob and hinge pins so a person can't just knock the hinges off and take the door down. From the outside it just looks like a regular closet door with nothing special about it. I do want to look in to a better locking knob though.

MY OPSEC DOESN'T ALLOW ME TO TALK ABOUT THE MAKE AND MODEL OF ANY FIREARM-RELATED ITEMS I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE.

Just kidding, I'm looking to get a Stack-On cabinet. I think they're $99 at Walmart. Good enough for the apartment [mg]

MY OPSEC DOESN'T ALLOW ME TO TALK ABOUT THE MAKE AND MODEL OF ANY FIREARM-RELATED ITEMS I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE.

Just kidding, I'm looking to get a Stack-On cabinet. I think they're $99 at Walmart. Good enough for the apartment [mg]

Thats the wrong way to look at it. If you have $1000 worth of guns, then fine. But if you've got 10K worth of guns then it really isn't good enough .

Companies like Zanotti Armor make quality safes, not like Stack-On, that you can take apart and bring down in pieces. If I lived in an apartment, I'd have something like that.

I'd also layer it with a refurbished wireless monitored alarm system (about $200 with $15/month wireless monitoring) from Simplisafe.

Don

Back
Top Bottom