Anyone else ever done this to their silencer to cool it off?

dcmdon

NES Member
So last week I was at Harvard with my wife and kids doing some archery. I brought my silenced full auto AR just because I thought it might be fun to run a couple of mags through it. Once the wife and kids were in the car, I took out the AR and emptied 80 rounds out of it in about a minute.

Oh shoot. The can is now about 600 degrees and I don't have any water in the car.

So I took it into the woods and pissed on it. (after covering the gun with leaves to stop the splatter).

So, has anyone else ever had to do this in a pinch?

After I was done, I got out a baby wipe and removed the dried "residue"

Don

Lots of stories of filling water cooled MG's in WWI by peeing in the reservoir when the water had all steamed out. I think if it was my rifle I would let it cool naturally than risk it smelling like pee every time I fired it in the future! Maybe next time just wrap it in a few baby wipes for evaporative cooling...[laugh2]

So last week I was at Harvard with my wife and kids doing some archery. I brought my silenced full auto AR just because I thought it might be fun to run a couple of mags through it. Once the wife and kids were in the car, I took out the AR and emptied 80 rounds out of it in about a minute.
Oh shoot. The can is now about 600 degrees and I don't have any water in the car.
So I took it into the woods and pissed on it. (after covering the gun with leaves to stop the splatter).
So, has anyone else ever had to do this in a pinch?
After I was done, I got out a baby wipe and removed the dried "residue"
Don

You know the term "1st World problem"? This is a 2nd Amendment problem (ie, a good one to have!).

In Infantry OCS we were taught to pee on the M60 machine gun barrel to keep it from melting down under heavy use. Also pee'd on numerous small fires started by blanks in dry grass.

I was gonna say pics or it never happened, but then I realized I'd have to punch myself in the face for being a meat gazer. Just jealous that as a non-FFL, I can't have a suppressor to pee on in MA.

You lost me on that one.

By the way. It doesn't belong here. I'm going to post this pic in the build thread, but I thought I'd put it here first.

Just finished assembling this tonight.

10.5" .223, aeroprecision lightweight mount, Bushnell Elite 1-4x24 scope, Starlos Firearms complete plastic lower. (the best I've seen), MFT stock.
Thunderbeast Arms 7" Ultra 6.5 Ti silencer, low profile, adjustable gas block.

4.80 lbs rifle only
5.97 lbs with optic
6.48 lbs with optic and silencer

I haven't shot it yet. I'm sure it will need something.

223AeroPrecision10-2015.jpg

The gun I put the semi-auto bolt carrier and the empty buffer into runs fine with the cans. I shot it this weekend. Boy does it cycle fast. Like all my other guns, its got an adjustable gas block. So I just give the allen bolt a half turn closed to slow things down.

I just picked up a Gemtec bolt carrier. You turn a screw and it vents 30% of the air out of the carrier before it gets to the bolt. I haven't tried it yet.

The gun in the pic is semi-auto, but the upper has an M16 profile bolt carrier so it can trip the autosear if I put it on a MG lower.

Don

can we get a follow-up on the piss-soaking plz? if it turns out that pee pits the finish like the guy who left his barrel in vinegar overnight i'll be happy to take it off your hands.

The gun I put the semi-auto bolt carrier and the empty buffer into runs fine with the cans. I shot it this weekend. Boy does it cycle fast. Like all my other guns, its got an adjustable gas block. So I just give the allen bolt a half turn closed to slow things down.

I just picked up a Gemtec bolt carrier. You turn a screw and it vents 30% of the air out of the carrier before it gets to the bolt. I haven't tried it yet.

The gun in the pic is semi-auto, but the upper has an M16 profile bolt carrier so it can trip the autosear if I put it on a MG lower.

Don

I was wondering about those adjustable bolts. Figured the could come lose . Is it the one with the extra holes on the side ?

Yes. I'll get you some pics. I got a deal on it at Shot. MSRP is like $250. Too much money in my mind.

A gas block is better. Why tap it and vent it when you can just tap it less. But its easily switchable. But for the money they want, you are better off with a gas block with detents on it, like a syrac.

don

can we get a follow-up on the piss-soaking plz? if it turns out that pee pits the finish like the guy who left his barrel in vinegar overnight i'll be happy to take it off your hands.

I immediately wiped it down with baby wipes. So no "residue" was lfet on it.

Back
Top Bottom