Anyone doing any kind of USPSA or IDPA Practice this weekend? - Another Newbie

I've recently discovered USPSA and IDPA via this message board and very much looking forward to trying either or both. I know there are weekly practices on Wednesday eves at Harvard but curious about the weekend. I'd love to do some steel plates too. My local club does no offer any of these so I have to travel.

I'm new to this board but been shooting my whole life, a lot more recently. I've done some courses at Sig Academy and loved them. I would plan on using my Sig 226 or a 92FS. I prefer the Sig. I have 3 mags for each and considering picking up a couple more. I do have a cheapo double mag pouch and an ok leather holster, from what I've read here, these should get me started.

If there is nothing happening I will probably check out the ManchVegas show for some goodies and ammo.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

If you can get out tomorrow evening, we practice on the indoor range at Hopkinton each Wednesday from around 5:30-7:00.

I wish I could go tomorrow night, I have a wake to attend. :-( Is that a standing invite? What else would I need to know about Wednesday practice at Hopkinton?

I wish I could go tomorrow night, I have a wake to attend. :-( Is that a standing invite? What else would I need to know about Wednesday practice at Hopkinton?

yup, it's a standing invite. we practice most every Weds night starting around 5:30; indoors now that its cold and gets dark early but we'll move outdoors to the pistol pits when things warm up. On occasion we have to run a shorter than usual practice so the Bullseye team can use the range for a home match so if you're travelling you might want to check the club calendar to make sure it's not a short night. All experience levels are welcome and the guys are more than happy to teach the ropes; only requirement is that you're safe. bring what you have for equipment and your eyes and ears and have some fun.

We also run plate matches once a month instead of practice, next one is Jan 25th. these are a fun and low pressure way to start competing. shooter vs shooter elimination style runs at the plate racks for $3 per relay. info here. last couple of matches have gone until after 8pm; people just wanted to keep shooting! enter as many relays as you like, meet some new folk, and have a generally good time...maybe even win a couple bucks [wink]

Aaaaand if you're new to USPSA and think you'll want to compete at some matches this coming season I'll plug the excellent Intro class that the Hopkinton guys run every year. Two full days of classroom and range time going over everything that could possibly happen in a match. I took the class last year having never attended a practice or match and felt comfortable enough after that to start competing when the season got rolling. I believe Harvard is putting on a similar class for IDPA but I'll let someone from that crew fill in the details there....

Hope to see you at a practice soon.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I am thinking of making the ride out tomorrow afternoon. I see MHL on the calendar too. Not sure what that is of if that means a conflict. Would 1/18 be a good day to show up to see how it is done?

The MHL is the bullseye league so tonight's a short night unfortunately, we need to clean up around 7. The main difference is that we go easy on the stage setup so we can spend more time shooting and less time cleaning up. A bunch of the guys are headed to the SHOT show in Vegas so let me see how many we expect tonight (and if someone with a key to the storage room is going to be there) and I'll PM you shortly.

Next week is our monthly steel plate match...it's not USPSA but it's a fun and informal way to start getting used to shooting when a buzzer sounds. We've had good turnout the past couple of months so there's plenty of people there to BS with as you wait for your relay as well [wink]

If you want a smaller session, I'm a member at Harvard and would be glad to have you out one Sunday (presuming decent weather and clear action pits) to get a hang of things outside. I've gotten my brother-in-law and wife interested in IPSC and have my own target stands/etc so I'll be doing some walk-through practices with them in the action pits this winter when conditions are safe (cold but safe [smile] ) - PM me if you'd like to be notified when we're going.

If you want a smaller session, I'm a member at Harvard and would be glad to have you out one Sunday (presuming decent weather and clear action pits) to get a hang of things outside. I've gotten my brother-in-law and wife interested in IPSC and have my own target stands/etc so I'll be doing some walk-through practices with them in the action pits this winter when conditions are safe (cold but safe [smile] ) - PM me if you'd like to be notified when we're going.

Let me know too Brad I would love to get some extra practice in and shoot with you, I even got a target stand myself too haha

I'll make a post here when we make a plan, will try to give 4-5 days notice. This weekend is out with snow on the way Saturday, but hopefully it won't be too long.

I'll be bringing 3 target stands and we'll improvise some barriers with 1x3 just to get the feel of a course. Being outside it's easy to shoot a course twice, change it up a bit, and run it again. In a couple hours (with 4-5 people) you can run through 3 or 4 different stages while getting to share ideas on how to attack the stage, etc.. Maybe one of the more seasoned shooters would be up for helping out.

Is it possible to order IPSC targets through HSC when they place an order? I'd love to save some $$$ on shipping.

Is it possible to order IPSC targets through HSC when they place an order? I'd love to save some $$$ on shipping.

You can bring it up to them but I am not sure. I want to get some also so if you want to split with me and maybe another we could put a nice order in and split the shipping.

BTW - snow big deal lol - There is an IDPA match tomorrow at the club so don't let the white stuff slow you down. I already have some plans to be at HHRG with a few others Saturday so I will be melting flakes with warm bullets before they even touch the ground.

I'll make a post here when we make a plan, will try to give 4-5 days notice. This weekend is out with snow on the way Saturday, but hopefully it won't be too long.

I'll be bringing 3 target stands and we'll improvise some barriers with 1x3 just to get the feel of a course. Being outside it's easy to shoot a course twice, change it up a bit, and run it again. In a couple hours (with 4-5 people) you can run through 3 or 4 different stages while getting to share ideas on how to attack the stage, etc.. Maybe one of the more seasoned shooters would be up for helping out.

The Harvard Action Shooters site has targets and patch tape listed for sale. Get in touch with Betsy and I'm sure she can hook you up. In fact I'll need to get some too.

http://www.harvardactionshooters.com/store.html

Also, I'm going to be picking up a couple target stands next week, so count me in for some practice as well.

Does Betsy head up HAS? I want to volunteer for the upcoming seasons.

I hope no one from HAS minds, I certainly don't want to get in the way of the Wed night practices, but it'll be hard for me to make many of those. But if we have a small group (<10) we should be able to learn a lot and have fun doing it.

Does Betsy head up HAS? I want to volunteer for the upcoming seasons.

I hope no one from HAS minds, I certainly don't want to get in the way of the Wed night practices, but it'll be hard for me to make many of those. But if we have a small group (<10) we should be able to learn a lot and have fun doing it.

As long as the pits are not being used for an event, we clean up after overselves and it does not turn into something bigger then can safely be done it should be fine. Remember the club is YOUR club now and the grounds can be used as such. I look forward to making it.

Thanks Peter. I am thinking of making the ride out tomorrow afternoon. I see MHL on the calendar too. Not sure what that is of if that means a conflict. Would 1/18 be a good day to show up to see how it is done?

was good meeting you Steve, hope you had some fun and got an idea of what USPSA is all about.....or as much of an idea as you can get on a smallish indoor range!

We've had really good turnout at the Hopkinton practices the past few weeks, a lot of new shooters coming out to see what the game is. that + people talking about trying to startup extra practice sessions at Harvard makes me think this is going to be a good season coming up [rockon]

FWIW I'd be happy to run a regular weekend practice at HSC once I get going with HAS for those of us who can't do weekdays easily.

FWIW I'd be happy to run a regular weekend practice at HSC once I get going with HAS for those of us who can't do weekdays easily.

Or for those of us who really need the extra practice (e.g., me). I'd be up for a semi-regular weekend practice on weekends that the pits aren't being used for matches.

I wish I lived closer to the Harvard area. Its a great club.
I have been to many matches there, but there is just no way I can make the drive up to practice on a weekday evening.

Or for those of us who really need the extra practice (e.g., me). I'd be up for a semi-regular weekend practice on weekends that the pits aren't being used for matches.

+1 on that, I shoot every weekend regardless so whats packing up my gear for practice when we can.

+1 on that, I shoot every weekend regardless so whats packing up my gear for practice when we can.

I'll second the +1, I need lots of practice and only have standing ranges around here, no movement or holster draws. My schedule rotates so I would not be there every weekend. Harvard is a little bit of a drive, but I like shooting there and happy to donate to the cause, targets, $$$, what ever would be needed.

Since I offered up initially, I'll start putting together a schedule based on HSC's schedule for the pits, and I'll confirm it with HAS and HTS and I'll post it when I'm done. More shooting = more fun!

Since I offered up initially, I'll start putting together a schedule based on HSC's schedule for the pits, and I'll confirm it with HAS and HTS and I'll post it when I'm done. More shooting = more fun!

You the man Brad - can't wait to practice with you.

+1 Do I need to be a member to practice with you guys?

I have shot a bunch at Harvard. New to competion, just learning, so can't coach in any way, put am willing to contribute to set-up, $$$ or what ever may be needed???

wow, can't believe the response! (Glad to see it though). I'm sure we'll run it like the Wednesday night practices so it will be everyone invited, maybe a couple bucks/person to pay for targets and tape. Mike, who runs the Wed night practices? I should probably get ahold of them to start putting this together. If we get a 50+ degree Sunday like today I intend to be in the pits.

wow, can't believe the response! (Glad to see it though). I'm sure we'll run it like the Wednesday night practices so it will be everyone invited, maybe a couple bucks/person to pay for targets and tape. Mike, who runs the Wed night practices? I should probably get ahold of them to start putting this together. If we get a 50+ degree Sunday like today I intend to be in the pits.

Gary Barna is the President of HAS, contact info for all the folks in charge is at http://www.harvardactionshooters.com/contacts.html.

Which club are you thinking of doing this at?

BTW there is a plate match at Hopkinton tomorrow evening. Come one, come all.http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/150545-STEEL-PLATE-MATCH-TOMORROW-1-25-12-Hopkinton

If we get a 50+ degree Sunday like today I intend to be in the pits.

Remember this weekend is off limits due to the Boy Scout camping. I believe they clear out after 12pm on Sunday but you would have to verify that on the HSC calender.

Remember this weekend is off limits due to the Boy Scout camping. I believe they clear out after 12pm on Sunday but you would have to verify that on the HSC calender.

According to the calendar that's correct. I'm planning on heading to the club Sunday afternoon if the weather's nice.

After some feedback from the club these weekend practice sessions will need to be for HSC members only unless non-club members are brought in as guests with a specific member. Hopefully if these go well with a small group this could become a standing alternative to the Wed night practices but that will certainly be farther down the road. For now however all HSC members are cordially invited, and per club policy, may bring a guest - but we can't have an "open gate" style attendance at this point in time.

I completely understand the club's concerns on this and I take full responsibility if anyone feels slighted in any way: Anyone wishing to attend who isn't an HSC member but wants to see what IPSC is all about should PM me and I'll be glad to have you out as a guest at some point.

Sorry for any confusion, as I said, any aggravation should be directed at me.

~Brad

Back
Top Bottom