Any way to check firearm transfer history

Does anyone know if there is a way to check the transfer history of one's LTC or possibly get duplicate FA-10 forms? I have a couple issues I'm dealing with right now.

1) I purchased a pre-ban lower from a fellow NES member a while back and we did the transfer at Pullman Arms. An FA-10 wasn't done as I was told the lower wasn't built into a rifle. I later attempted to register via an e-FA10 but an error occurred at the completion and the website didn't display the actual final FA-10 completed in pdf form like it usually does. Now I'd like to file a form 1 SBR application for this lower but am hesitant since I'm not 100% sure the registration went through.

2) I seem to have misplaced a couple FA-10 forms during a recent renovation, things I've purchased and sold and would love to get all my paperwork in order.

I was sure if it was possible to get a report of all completed transactions or something from the firearms record bureau. I just figured I'd reach out here and see if anyone has any experience with this before calling them.

Thanks all.

SBRing the gun has absolutely nothing to do with FA-10ing it, not sure what your hangup is. You can have a stamp and still have a thing that doesn't require an FA-10. Don't confuse the two things. Not necessary.

If you call CJIS you can find out how to fill out an app to get a printout of all the crap they have on file for you, but that's about it. I wouldn't even bother doing this, frankly. If you think something didn't get
filed, put it in again (if you really care).

-Mike

SBRing the gun has absolutely nothing to do with FA-10ing it, not sure what your hangup is. You can have a stamp and still have a thing that doesn't require an FA-10. Don't confuse the two things. Not necessary.

If you call CJIS you can find out how to fill out an app to get a printout of all the crap they have on file for you, but that's about it. I wouldn't even bother doing this, frankly. If you think something didn't get

-Mike

all of this.

don't waste your energy. one has nothing to do with the other.

If you really want, you can pay $20 and send in a notarized form and they will send you a list of everything they have on file for your license. They being the people in Chelsea.

Just curious what everyone's consensus is but I thought I read in another thread that the lower must have been made into a rifle prior to Sept 94 to be considered pre-ban in MA?

1) I purchased a pre-ban lower from a fellow NES member a while back and we did the transfer at Pullman Arms. An FA-10 wasn't done as I was told the lower wasn't built into a rifle. I later attempted to register via an e-FA10 but an error occurred at the completion and the website didn't display the actual final FA-10 completed in pdf form like it usually does. Now I'd like to file a form 1 SBR application for this lower but am hesitant since I'm not 100% sure the registration went through.

If you really want, you can pay $20 and send in a notarized form and they will send you a list of everything they have on file for your license. They being the people in Chelsea.

Dont bother...... My brother did this and all he got was a list of serial #'s, no make no model, and more than half the numbers listed he didnt have..... Waste of time, their system is broken........ Enuff said......

If you send an email to the FRB with transaction details, they can send you a PDF of the FA-10. this is true of eFA-10s, I don't know whether it is true of paper FA-10s.

-Mike

Good to know. I didn't realize they weren't linked. I'll try entering it in again. I was hesitant as to avoid flagging something with a duplicate. Looks like I'm over thinking things. Haha.

Just curious what everyone's consensus is but I thought I read in another thread that the lower must have been made into a rifle prior to Sept 94 to be considered pre-ban in MA?

Well that would be an issue......

I would definitely get second opinion or try to find that thread. Chances are they would not know since 4473 was done prior to 94 and doesn't mean it was in mass before that date. So just because there is no fa10 doesn't mean jack. Worth checking.

I found this online which which states the same thing you stated. http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/preORpost.html

I guess the question is, how accurate is the information I was given. If the lower was truly never built into a rifle, I may have been partially duped into a really expensive post ban lower. I can't think of any way to even verify if the thing was registered. So if this is really the case, and the date the serial number is manufactured is basically meaningless, anyone buying a "pre-ban" lower is taking a huge risk if there is no proof it was actually registered prior to 1994.

I guess that's what I get for not doing my homework. I purchased this from a member who later got banned because a very infamous lower group buy. Good times.

Last edited:
LEN what is your opinion on a lower that was not built up to a rifle prior to 94 ?

The Fed position was that if it wasn't built OR kitted with evil features, it could never be considered a legit pre-ban. MA has never made such ruling but you can bet that a DA would use that in a MA court towards their favor.

The Fed position was that if it wasn't built OR kitted with evil features, it could never be considered a legit pre-ban. MA has never made such ruling but you can bet that a DA would use that in a MA court towards their favor.

So unless your purchasing a complete rifle in its original state, how else can you verify what may have been built or kitted onto a lower back in the day? Seems impossible to me.

I have called the FRB before when I had an issue trying to complete transfers via the inheritance option. Someone on their end put a random digit in the zip code ext field entering my info into their system so I was getting an error message telling me to correct the zip code that in fact I could not correct myself. I called them a total of three times and got some real dumb advise from their people until I sent an email stating this and finally got someone that knew 2+2 didn't equal Potato.

So unless your purchasing a complete rifle in its original state, how else can you verify what may have been built or kitted onto a lower back in the day? Seems impossible to me.
OP stated that the lower was represented as having never been built into a rifle. I'm not going to crap on his purchase, but that's like finding a wild unicorn.

Did you go to the link I posted in #12? There is your list of S/Ns, if it isn't there the Feds did NOT consider it to be a legit pre-ban (e.g. stripped frames weren't legal pre-bans).

I have called the FRB before when I had an issue trying to complete transfers via the inheritance option. Someone on their end put a random digit in the zip code ext field entering my info into their system so I was getting an error message telling me to correct the zip code that in fact I could not correct myself. I called them a total of three times and got some real dumb advise from their people until I sent an email stating this and finally got someone that knew 2+2 didn't equal Potato.

Those that take my MA Gun Law Seminar are taught NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use the CJIS Inheritance e-form and it is fully explained why! I've had this conversation with Jason Guida and Michaela Dunne as why that e-form is all wrong. It will NOT let you inherit anything from a non-MA deceased or even a MA deceased without their VALID MA LTC # and "requires" much more info than is required BY LAW! Use of "Registration" e-form solves this problem legally if done PROPERLY (NOT the way the instructions are laid out on the CJIS website).

OP stated that the lower was represented as having never been built into a rifle. I'm not going to crap on his purchase, but that's like finding a wild unicorn.

Federally it is black or white. State-wise, no legal guidance but you can count on the state and state courts taking the position that FEWER allowed pre-bans is best and not recognizing those not on that Fed S/N list as "pre-ban legal".

I went back to my original correspondence with the seller when I asked why an FA-10 form wasn't done during the transfer. I could have sworn his answer was that it wasn't built into a rifle, but I was mistaken.....Below is his response from the email.

"The FA10 is only needed in face to face transactions or when you build a rifle. So since this was done through an FFL, no FA10 was needed. When you complete the rifle, you need to register it via FA10. My info is not needed."

I guess I should have paid more attention during the transfer. I was a bit rattled since I had car problems on my hour drive to Pullman Arms and was really worried I wasn't going to make it home.

Did you go to the link I posted in #12? There is your list of S/Ns, if it isn't there the Feds did NOT consider it to be a legit pre-ban (e.g. stripped frames weren't legal pre-bans).

I did check the list. It says all Essential Arms (EA) lowers are preban since they went out of business in 1993.

I went back to my original correspondence with the seller when I asked why an FA-10 form wasn't done during the transfer. I could have sworn his answer was that it wasn't built into a rifle, but I was mistaken.....Below is his response from the email.

"The FA10 is only needed in face to face transactions or when you build a rifle. So since this was done through an FFL, no FA10 was needed. When you complete the rifle, you need to register it via FA10. My info is not needed."

I guess I should have paid more attention during the transfer. I was a bit rattled since I had car problems on my hour drive to Pullman Arms and was really worried I wasn't going to make it home.

I did check the list. It says all Essential Arms (EA) lowers are preban since they went out of business in 1993.
That makes a lot of sense. I know that stripped lowers don't need to have (can't have) an FA10 filled out on them, regardless of what some shops do...lol.

Good luck and have fun with your build!

Back
Top Bottom