• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any tips for the civil exam?

That line though! Was that test at Sullivan for the whole state or just central MA?

Mine was in Wakefield. Not sure if it was per-county, or just a few regional sites. The line in Wakefield was crazy, too.

I'd make a pretty bad cop, but will age out of eligibility by the next exam, so I figured I'd give it a go anyway. If there's one thing school prepared me for, it was taking standardized tests! ;)

One bit of advice for people who take the test next time around -- on the questions where you have to read a block of text and then answer questions on it, read the questions first! I wasted a lot of time reading nearly a full-page report, and the question was an incredibly basic detail that was spelled out in the first paragraph. I started reading the questions first and it was *much* easier and saved a lot of time.

Interesting reading here. I took the State Police exam back in 94 and scored a 96. Was told at the time that due to affirmative action that unless I scored a 99 or above (as a white guy) I wasn't even going to be considered even though I was a veteran. They did take a number of women of color who only scored in the low to mid 80s over me. Annoying to say the least. Sounds like this process is not exactly the case anymore but still close.

What I was told a few years ago is that the 'affirmative action' bit is a consent degree, and it's something like every 3rd person must be a minority. So it's not that they're automatically boosted to the front, as much as the top minority scorers are put in every 3rd position. Does this still ring true?

It seems like the overall preference is children of first responders killed in the line of duty, wounded vets, vets, and then us regular people, maybe with a few other groups I've forgotten. I also think that hiring agencies can request that women or people with foreign-language skills, etc., be boosted on their hiring list if they need those attributes.

This is all a few years old and just what someone told me, so it's definitely not gospel.

Score matters but I've seen plenty of people on top who did not get hired and people on the bottom get hired. Just because you're on top doesn't mean you'll get a job and vice versa. Just get your name on the list and wait. After getting on the list you still have the interview. If your interview goes well you still have the background check, physical, psych eval. Then you have the academy. It's not a big deal but plenty of people have quit or been injured. Someone can be dropped at any point during the process.

Interesting reading here. I took the State Police exam back in 94 and scored a 96. Was told at the time that due to affirmative action that unless I scored a 99 or above (as a white guy) I wasn't even going to be considered even though I was a veteran. They did take a number of women of color who only scored in the low to mid 80s over me. Annoying to say the least. Sounds like this process is not exactly the case anymore but still close.

The entire civil service exam is a joke. I'd rather have a regular bloke out there who scored well, than a woman who got a score boost because she has a vagina. Honestly, I am not a fan that they weight anyone more due to special backgrounds or circumstances whatsoever.

Just keep in mind, the highest possible level of excellence must be upheld if you are so graciously allowed in the club.

http://whdh.com/news/groveland-officer-under-fire-for-allegedly-sleeping-on-the-job/

cell phones...how they've changed the world...

[FONT=&quot]At around 5 a.m. on Thursday morning, several people noticed a cruiser in the middle of the road, blocking traffic at a stop sign. Cellphone video shows a police officer in the cruiser, asleep behind the wheel.[/FONT]

Just put down that you're a gay male, they'll be too afraid to not hire you. After you're on, you decided the cock just wasn't for you after all. Problem solved.

Just put down that you're a gay male, they'll be too afraid to not hire you. After you're on, you decided the cock just wasn't for you after all. Problem solved.

I don't remember seeing a criteria for sexual preference, otherwise I would have probably done this to get an edge. 5 years in the reserves and not a single point awarded...I'm calling Maura because I'm feeling discriminated against!

I don't remember seeing a criteria for sexual preference, otherwise I would have probably done this to get an edge. 5 years in the reserves and not a single point awarded...I'm calling Maura because I'm feeling discriminated against!

Come to the guard and use the state tuition money. Become a nurse and work in a emergency room-also known as the human zoo for excitement

The entire civil service exam is a joke. I'd rather have a regular bloke out there who scored well, than a woman who got a score boost because she has a vagina. Honestly, I am not a fan that they weight anyone more due to special backgrounds or circumstances whatsoever.

I agree. When I returned to federal service (with two degrees and nearly three years of service behind me) the DOD hired me at a GS 5 earning only $30k a year and I was never promoted me in the entire five years with them. When I joined DHS (at the same pay and grade), I was promoted to the GS 7 in three years and found myself the last civilian standing. Everyone left because the agency never promoted civilians over veteran applicants - ever. Some had been there seven to ten years. They hired three more people: all vets and all earned my grade and then some to start "just because." I've tried 19 times with CIS and three times with ATF (who made it clear I wasn't in the "Gold" category (= veteran). Having female parts clearly hasn't helped me. I tried to lie my way into the Marines when I was 18 - they wouldn't have me because of my deafness - neither would the police. You're not the only one disgusted by the hiring preference..... but don't think just because I'm a disabled woman that anyone has done me any favors "just because."

Is that what has held you back in your life, from being the success you wish you were.

Thanks.

I agree. When I returned to federal service (with two degrees and nearly three years of service behind me) the DOD hired me at a GS 5 earning only $30k a year and I was never promoted me in the entire five years with them. When I joined DHS (at the same pay and grade), I was promoted to the GS 7 in three years and found myself the last civilian standing. Everyone left because the agency never promoted civilians over veteran applicants - ever. Some had been there seven to ten years. They hired three more people: all vets and all earned my grade and then some to start "just because." I've tried 19 times with CIS and three times with ATF (who made it clear I wasn't in the "Gold" category (= veteran). Having female parts clearly hasn't helped me. I tried to lie my way into the Marines when I was 18 - they wouldn't have me because of my deafness - neither would the police. You're not the only one disgusted by the hiring preference..... but don't think just because I'm a disabled woman that anyone has done me any favors "just because."

Maybe not you, but one data point doesn't negate all the others that indicate the opposite unfortunately.

I heard they doing a second test because they didn't have enough applicants?
did be results from March 25th came out? Can't find anything online.

So, was it the lack of applicants that brought about a 2nd test?

Military makeup and probably expanding the pool of woman and people of color applicants. Probably transgender too at this point. But don't worry white male non-veteran they still will take your $150.00.

Don't sell yourself short. Take the exams for BP, Customs, ICE/HSI, DEA, Capitol police etcs.

I'll give the Feds credit for one thing. For the most part, take the exam, score high enough get the job. None of this political BS.
For the most part......

There is no BS until after you get hired. Getting promoted is another ball of crap.

Back
Top Bottom