Any T/C22 rifle owners here?

I went shooting today and the rifle would fire two shots and then have a light strike. I put maybe 200 ads through it and have not cleaned it since new. What's your thoughts here? I'm ready to trade it in. Maybe a good cleaning? Oh, tried 36 gr MiniMags which worked great before and Aemscor 36 gr also .40 gr Win Expert

Thanks

I went shooting today and the rifle would fire two shots and then have a light strike. I put maybe 200 ads through it and have not cleaned it since new. What's your thoughts here? I'm ready to trade it in. Maybe a good cleaning? Oh, tried 36 gr MiniMags which worked great before and Aemscor 36 gr also .40 gr Win Expert

Thanks
Give her a good cleaning. Inspect the firing line for damage and try again.

Just spit-balling here...

Were you using the O.E.M. rotary magazine from T/C or a Ruger or other brand? I'm wondering if the BHO feature is causing bolt drag and an out-of-battery situation???

If you were using OEM, try a known good Ruger BX-1 magazine...

IMO, .22lr magazines are one of the biggest source of shooting issues in a semi-auto .22...

Last edited:
Just spit-balling here...

Were you using the O.E.M. rotary magazine from T/C or a Ruger or other brand? I'm wondering if the BHO feature is causing bolt drag and an out-of-battery situation???

If you were using OEM, try a known good Ruger BX-1 magazine...

IMO, .22lr magazines are one of the biggest source of shooting issues in a semi-auto .22...
OEM, T/C mags

OEM, T/C mags
So, my back story with my T/Cr22 is 4 out of 6 Thompson Center mags suck, the remaining 2 ar "ok"...

I also own Ruger 10/22's and exclusively use the Ruger mags with my T/Cr22. Without issues...

Try a Ruger BX-1 magazine and see if the problems abate.

I tend to agree with @enbloc . First time shooting i hated the oem mag. Tried the 10/22 and worked just fine. The gun is great but is such a clone of the 10/22 its not supposed to hold open. The magpul stock is comfortable though.

Clean it, lube it and check the firing pin.

I must have been the lucky guy in the instance because my mag runs perfect.
I really like the last round hold open as I’ve seen first hand what a beat up dry fired Winchester 9422 looks like.
I’m not sure what type of tolerance the TCR or the 10/22 has and if it can be dry fired or not but I prefer not to.

I really like the last round hold open as I’ve seen first hand what a beat up dry fired Winchester 9422 looks like.
I’m not sure what type of tolerance the TCR or the 10/22 has and if it can be dry fired or not but I prefer not to.
I got my T/C early on and have read they had issues with the first round of magazines. I may pick up one more to see if they've smoothed out.

Also, my early mags always looked like the BHO pawl was sticking out a little too proud...

1Iwm.gif

The owners manual says not to dry fire it in the cover. Thank God it was on the cover otherwise I never would have known lol

brand new
did you clean it when new ? New guns are seldom clean plus they use a anti corrosive coating that turns to a hard tarnish after a while. get it nice and clean. oil only enough to prevent rust.
try again. 40 grain Standard velocity ammo should run just fine. Some ammo just sucks in some guns.
200 rounds is not a lot, other than a quick wipe is all you should need. even the magss should go 1k rounds or so before they need to be cleaned--if that.
Some ammo just does not work well in some rifles. I have some Golden Eagle Target that is very low velocity stuff and does not run well in many Semi Autos. The Golden Eagle Match - made by Aguilia runs closer to 1100 fps and runs fine in all my 22s.
Also some guns dont like shooting mixed ammo. Sometimes do to different bullet profiles and "fouling" some ammo may not chamber well. Find something it likes and buy 5000 rounds of the same lot.

Last edited:
OP. You posted it for sale here on NES in WTS section. You stated that you “don’t want to deal with it any more and don’t have time for it”.
Let us know how you make out. Selling possibly defective firearm could certainly suck for the buyer.
Myself and others may be interested if it’s clean, tested, and fully functional.

I went shooting today and the rifle would fire two shots and then have a light strike. I put maybe 200 ads through it and have not cleaned it since new.
Q1: Does that mean you cleaned it before you first fired it
(which you should do with every new gun
to remove shipping grease and manufacturing debris
),
or that you have never cleaned it?

If you cleaned it before you first fired it,

Q2: Did you neglect to replace the firing pin stop pin B-13,
and damage the chamber breech edge by dry-firing?

main-qimg-1fcc6257ee27abecf2fd9f891579ebee

Q1: Does that mean you cleaned it before you first fired it
(which you should do with every new gun
to remove shipping grease and manufacturing debris
),
or that you have never cleaned it?

If you cleaned it before you first fired it,

Q2: Did you neglect to replace the firing pin stop pin B-13,
and damage the chamber breech edge by dry-firing?

main-qimg-1fcc6257ee27abecf2fd9f891579ebee
this is why 22lr for the most part should not be dry fired because the pin can reach the breach face, often 22lr F pins are "longer" because of variations in rim thickness. The soft brass/steel case rim acts like a cushion

this is why 22lr for the most part should not be dry fired because the pin can reach the breach face, often 22lr F pins are "longer" because of variations in rim thickness. The soft brass/steel case rim acts like a cushion
10/22's and Ruger Mark pistols are guaranteed good to go.
Unless you omit the firing pin stop pin. [angry]
(Or unless you wear out the oval hole in the firing pin,
or wear a notch into the firing pin stop pin [shocked]
).
But, yeah; excellent rule of thumb.

Last edited:
Wow you’re generous. I bet a shop would go 10%
between covid and the holidays I felt generous.....
I asked as local FFL once how much he would give me for a 22lr ---winchester sears clone.
his words--- Unless its a very nice target rifle I make it a policy to give $25 for 22s. I dont want them to be honest. This was not long ago

Back
Top Bottom