• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Pilots Around?

Hey all-

I was wondering if there are any former, current, or soon to be military pilots kicking around here (ANG pilots would be ideal)

With the encouragement of my company's test pilot, I've been looking pretty closely at joining the ANG to fly, and I wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions/experiences/etc.

I've already taken the AFOQT and the TBAS and scored very well, I have a college degree, I'm working on my pilot's license, etc. etc....

Let me know.

Thanks mucho

Not an ANG pilot, just full time ANG avionics geek for 13 years (now a part timer with 22), not sure if every base works this way, or even if ours works this way since we switched airframes..... but most of our pilots either came in from somewhere else already qualified for our jets, or worked aircraft maintenance at our base before they were accepted.

But I have to say you have nothing to lose by trying! How well will your current employer tolerate the time it will take to go through the whole pilot training process? There are a fair number of flying units in the Northeast, too. How far are you willing to travel (or move) to get that slot?

Give it a shot, and good luck!!

Not an ANG pilot, just full time ANG avionics geek for 13 years (now a part timer with 22), not sure if every base works this way, or even if ours works this way since we switched airframes..... but most of our pilots either came in from somewhere else already qualified for our jets, or worked aircraft maintenance at our base before they were accepted.

But I have to say you have nothing to lose by trying! How well will your current employer tolerate the time it will take to go through the whole pilot training process? There are a fair number of flying units in the Northeast, too. How far are you willing to travel (or move) to get that slot?

Give it a shot, and good luck!!

Hey Kevin-

Thanks for the info. I'm seeing you're in Western MA, are you with the 104th?

I'm definitely willing to travel/move...if I go this route, it would really be as a full time move, both because it's what I want to do, and because from everything I've heard, pilots often times tend to be more active than a "one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year" guard member just because 1) they're putting so much time and money into you to get you through pilot training, and 2) you need to do more than that in flying just to stay current

My current employer wouldn't be terribly thrilled for me to leave, I'm sure, but I'm still in the considering phase so no harm, no foul so far...also, I work for a very small aviation company (<15 people), and nearly everyone is either already a pilot or a student pilot, and given the chance to fly F-16s (for example), every one of them would jump at it, so they can't really fault me for looking...

Yep, 104th FW. I moved from avionics to maintenance control when we switched to the F-15. Are you just looking at fighters, or would something with a C in its name work too? That would open some more options for you. Very different flying, though.

I'm really kind of only looking at fighters...I've thought about tankers and cargo, and yes, it would still be flying (which is a huge step in the right direction), but it's just not quite the same...

But given that I'm young and unmarried and I don't own a house or anything, it isn't a huge deal if I have to pick up and move across the country to fly for a unit somewhere else...plus, it's ~2 years of training from my first day at OTS (or whatever AMS is called now) to my last day of aircraft specific training...so I'll be gone for a while anyway

If you join the Marine Corps you can take off from carriers ;) Hows that for badass?

If you have a passion for flying you will get the best training from the Military, good luck and do it while your young. Whatever path you choose I'm sure you won't regret it.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom