Any RI VA/DAV claim workers here?

Trying to help out a Combat VN Vet, he's an acquaintance of mine. I could never figure out why he was being treated so crappy by the VA. Yesterday in frustration, I asked him to send me a copy of his DD-214 and there it was his MOS was listed as "52B20 'Power Lineman". In fact he spent his whole tour just north of Dau Tieng on a small FSB as a 105mm 'cannon cocker'. These guys were always being probed and attacked as they were a major PIA to the NVA. I've seen pictures of him in country and talking to him, he's the real deal 100%. So he needs to pull the records of his artillery unit...etc. I have a lot on my plate the next few months, so I'm a bit overwhelmed. Thanks Bob G

Not a Vet, but suggest that he contact the Veteran's Agent in the town he lives. They are appointed by the town's management (selectmen, mayor, etc.) and names and contact info should be on the town's website (or call the town clerk's office if he can't find it). Good luck.

First off have him contact the Vet Center. There’s one in South Boston. They only deal with Vietnam Era Vets. They can assist him in getting help. They are in every state and are great overall. They work along side the VA and it could be a stepping stone to getting better help. He can contact the VA directly with their PTSD crisis hotline 24/7 if need be. Going to the Vet Rep in his town is a good idea but as a friend of mine who is one said that depends on how knowledgeable that agent knows the system. Personally I recommend the DAV. I’m 100% permanent and total. Also, the VFW and the American Legion offer services. If he starts with one and it’s pending no other agencies will look into it. Feel free to message me if there are any questions. I may not have the specific answers but can direct him to where to go.

Last edited:
Bump. Bob, wishing you success in whatever has your plate full. In different cities, for others, I have met the city agent as mentioned by Len and also a group that meets at the local American Legion. They have varying levels of concern for sure. Thank you for looking out for him. [rockon]

Last edited:
What unit?

There are lots of formal and informal groups out there with contacts depending on units.

A short book from the Army on some units in Vietnam. Field Artillery, 1954-1973 - U.S. Army Center of Military History

ETA, wiki lists these units in the area. Dầu Tiếng Base Camp - Wikipedia

Some of them are still active units.

View attachment 676963
A Co. 2nd &77th, 25th Infantry Division May '68'-Sept '69'. I said, "John when you were ets'ing out at 'Dix' you looked at your DD-214 and said eff it, I ain't staying another day...yup." I knew cuz I did the same...dumb but seemed logical at the time.

A Co. 2nd &77th, 25th Infantry Division May '68'-Sept '69'. I said, "John when you were ets'ing out at 'Dix' you looked at your DD-214 and said eff it, I ain't staying another day...yup." I knew cuz I did the same...dumb but seemed logical at the time.

2-77 FA's Lineage and Honors does show they were in 25ID at the time. The unit is currently in 2nd Brigade, 4ID at Carson. 2-77 Field Artillery Regiment

Here is a 2-77FA Vietnam page. http://277arty.net/

Like most of these pages, they were put together in the early days of the internet,

It has a roster for A Btry, but obviously may not be complete.

Some good google fu, can probably find more information and possibly local info. Some good facebook fu can probably get him in contact with surviving folks from the battery. Heck, even posting on 2-77's current page asking if anyone was in A Btry during this time. Those contacts will be useful for buddy statements.

77FA Org website: 77th Artillery Regiment Association

He should be able to correct his 214, but it will not be a fast process. HRC Homepage

Regardless of MOS, the service connection procedures are essentially the same and any good VSO worth his salt should be able to figure it out.

ETA, found it-crappy pic, but:

IMG_1590.jpg

Trying to help out a Combat VN Vet, he's an acquaintance of mine. I could never figure out why he was being treated so crappy by the VA. Yesterday in frustration, I asked him to send me a copy of his DD-214 and there it was his MOS was listed as "52B20 'Power Lineman". In fact he spent his whole tour just north of Dau Tieng on a small FSB as a 105mm 'cannon cocker'. These guys were always being probed and attacked as they were a major PIA to the NVA. I've seen pictures of him in country and talking to him, he's the real deal 100%. So he needs to pull the records of his artillery unit...etc. I have a lot on my plate the next few months, so I'm a bit overwhelmed. Thanks Bob G
Pm me. He will get zero help from the town VA Rep. most DAV and VSO’s are rubbish to. I am well versed going through the VA system. I might be able to help.

On the 77FA org page, click on the link that says "promoting 2/77th Artillery Vietnam" and you see another roster, further click on the Spring 69 report from above the roster and you'll see see reports from early 1969

4) 2d Battalion 77th Artillery
(a) The 2d Battalion 77th Artillery was actively engaged in support of Operation Toan Thang (Complete victory) II and III. During this period B/2/22 Infantry received a significant ground probe at Patrol Base Ben Cui III (XT4445); Dau Tieng Base Camp (XT4947) received a major ground attack accompanied by an indirect fire attack; Fire Support Base Mahone II (XT5241) received 3 major ground attacks; and Cu Chi-Dau Tieng convoy was attacked.. Each time 2d Battalion 77th Artillery, with supporting artillery units, provided the fire superiority to defeat the enemy. Reinforcement training of replacements, as well as on-the-job training continued.
(b) On the night of 20 February 1969, B/2/22 moved into Patrol Base (or hardspot) Bern cui III (XT4445). During the period 2330 hours - 0330 hours, enemy movement was observed in all directions around the hardspot. These enemy forces were engaged with organic weapons and artillery. Artillery units firiong were: A/2/77, and C/2/77 and A/1/27. A sweep around the hardspot was made at daylight with the following results: 14 NVA KIA (BC) by organic weapons, 14 NVA KB Arty (BC) and 3 AK47's, 2 RPG-2 launchers, 5 Bangalore Torpedoes, 15 rounds RPG-7, 151 ChiCom hand grenades, 10 RPG-2 rounds, 2 Chi Com AT mines, and 350 7.62 short rounds were captured. The total ammunition expenditures during the battle were: A/2/77 - 307 HE, 75 I11; C/2/77 - 218 HE; and A/1/27 - 51 HE, 30 I11.
(c) At 0035 hours 23 February 12969, Dau Tieng Base Camp (XT4947) began receiving 60mm, 82mm and 120mm mortars, and 107mm rockets, many of which impacted in the 2/77 Artillery Battalion Headquarters area. The enemy launched a ground attack along the battalion sector of the bunker line (Southeastern side of Dau Tieng Base Camp) with heavy volume of small arms and automatic weapons fire. At 0150 hours a group of NVA were observed moving across the battalion motor pool towards the battalion Fire Direction Center (FDC). They were armed with AK-47's, RPG's, satchel charges, and were immediately engaged with small arms and automatic weapons by members of headquarters Battery. Four of the enemy soldiers were immediately killed, a fifth later died of small arms wounds and a sixth was killed in a ¼ ton truck by a hand grenade after daylight. A/2/77, C/2/77. A/1/27. And C/2/32 continually fired the DRRMA programs. A/2/77 fired Killer Junior along the outer edge of the southeastern bunker line. The final results of this attack were 73 NVA KIA (BC) and 14 NVA POW's.
Personnel of Headquarters Battery manned their fighting positions on the bunker line as well as within the battalion area throughout the attack were: A/2/77 - 506 HE, 20 I11; C/2/77 - 498 HE, 35 I11; C/2/77 (Section manned by Headquarters Battery) - 120 HE, 41 I11; A/1/27 - 205 HE, 44 I11; and C/2/32 - 35 HE.
(d) At 0250 hours 23 February 1969, Fire Support Base Mahone II (XT5241) occupied by C/2/77 and 1/27 Infantry reported incoming mortar rounds, RPG's, small arms, and automatic weapons fire. Fire was returned with small arms, automatic weapons and artillery. C/2/77 began firing Killer Junior around the perimeter and A/2/77 and A/1/27 fired the FSB defensive targets and Illumination missions. C/2/77 sustained 11 US WIA, non serious.
Results of the attack were 38 NVA KIA (BC) and 30 NVA KIA (Poss). 1 ChiCom radio, 49 ChiCom hand grenades, 3 rounds 60mm, 2 rifle grenades, 1 RPG-7, 2 RPG launchers, 6 AK-47's, 1 SKS, 3 M-16's, 2 RPG adapters, 10 RPG-2 rounds, 4 RPG-7 rounds, 2 Bangalore Torpedoes, 1 35 lb ChiCom claymore were captured by C/2/77 and 1/27 Infantry. Artillery expenditures were A/2/77 - 400 HE, 26 I11; C/2/77 - 798 HE, 86 I11; A/1/27 155 HE, 20 I11.
(e) At 0320 hours, 25 February 1969, FSB Mahone II (XT 5241) received incoming mortars, small arms, and RPG fire followed by a ground attack. C/2/77 immediately began firing Killer Junior around the perimeter and A/2/77 and A/1/27 began firing the FSB defensive targets. Sweeps initiated at daylight continued all day and resulted in the following: 16 VC/NVA KIA and 5 AK-47's, 2 RPG 7's, 1 RPG unknown size, 1 SKS, 2LMG's,1 ChiCom radio, 1 ChiCom claymores, 1 US claymore, 8 rounds RPG-7, 22 rounds 82mm, 2 rounds 75mm, and 1000 rounds 7.62 short ammunition captured.
US casualties were 1 US KIA, 13 WIA. Artillery expenditures were; A/2/77 - 560 HE, C/2/77 1575 HE, and A/1/27 HE.
(f) At 1200 hours on 11 March 1969, the Dau Tieng Conmvoy was attacked approximately seven kilometers west of Dau Tieng (XT414443). The enemy attacked with small arms, RPG's, and mortar fire. Fire was returned with organic weapons by 2/22 Infantry and A/2/77, C/2/77. B/3/13, A/1/27, and C/2/32 batteries were adjusted into the area. The ground elements received sporadic fire until 1800 hours and the artillery continually pounded the area during this period. A sweep of the contact area was completed by 2/22 Infantry at 1800 hours with the following results: 76 NVAS KIA (BC) and 40 NVA KIA (Poss), 2 NVA POW's, 4 AK-47's, 1 76mm RR, 1 60mm mortar, 2 RPG-2 rounds, 2 RPG-78 rounds and 3 RPG launchers. Artillery expenditures were: A/2/77 - 737 HE, C/2/77 - 20 HE, B/3/13 - 433 HE, A/1/27 - 82 HE, and C/2/32 - 27 HE. Artillery accounted for about 90% of the enemy killed in this action.
(g) At 0155 Hours on 15 March 1969, FSB Mahone II (XT5241) received more than 60 rounds 60mm mortar and 10 RPG rounds. C/2/77 fired Killer Junior around the perimeter with A/2/77, A/1/27, and B/3/13 firing the counter mortar targets for the FSB. A ground sweep around the FSB was made at daylight and it was determined that the enemy had prepared an extensive attack to begin immediately after the mortar attack. Only the quick reaction of the artillery units firing the counter mortar program for the FSB and the extensive Killer Junior program fired by C/2/77 aborted the attack. As a result of this action there were 19 VC/NVA (BC), 4 wounded POW's, and 32 VC/NVA KB Arty (Poss) determined by blood trails and POW reports.
(h) The installation of the Long shot Defense Communication System was completed. This involved the installation of two radio sets AN/VRC-46, and one SB-22 Switchboard in the office of the duty officer. This communication network enables the duty officer to maintain constant radio and telephone communications with the perimeter bunkers in the 2/77 Arty sector of responsibility, and Base Camp Defense Headquarters. The Battalion S2 Section monitors the defense net during daylight hours. This is a new mission for 2/77 Artillery.
(i) Personnel and Logistics:
1. Personnel status steadily improved. The battalion reached 97.5% of its authorized strength by the close of the third quarter of fiscal year 1969. during the quarter 211 valor (including one distinguished Service Cross and 8 silver Stars), 2 achievement, and 141 service awards were recommended for members of the battalion.
2. During the past quarter logistic operations consisted of coordinating resupply activities in a support of the firing units. Ammunition expenditures have decreased greatly and the firing units are stocking considerable less ammunition. Emergency resupply of class V by air has not been necessary. Requisitioning has continued at normal pace and supplies of all classes have been regularly received.
(j) Intelligence Operations 1. Throughout the period the frequent enemy mortar/rocket attacks resulted in increased emphasis on effective employment of counter mortar radars. Of particular significance was the rocket attack on Dau Tieng Base Camp (XT 4947) on 28 March 1969. The 2/77 radar picked up the rocket launch position (XT534509) however; it was not fired upon by artillery due to rubber workers in the area. At 1040 hours on 29 March 1969, the 2/77 Bn FDC conducted a TOT with all available on this radar grid. A VR was conducted immediately after the TOT was fired and revealed 2NVA KIA (Pos) with additional NVA seen in the open. The enemy troops were engaged with artillery resulting in another 2 NVA KBA (BC). Since that time, this battalion has conducted from 2 to 6 TOT's nightly. 2. During this quarter numerous reports were received concerning bunker complexes and fighting positions. This battalion conducted numerous reconnaissances by fire missions with 8" howitzers. 311 8" rounds were expended with 65 bunkers, 15 fighting positions, and 4 sampans destroyed.

"(a) Battery A maintained a static position throughout the period 1 February through 30 April 1969. The mission assigned to Battery A was general support, reinforcing the fires of the 1st Battalion 8th Artillery. During this period Battery received credit for 31 VC/NVA body count, 8 secondary explosions, 1 sampan sunk, 3 bunkers destroyed, and 80% of a bunker complex destroyed."

RE: Killer Junior. Killer junior is a HE round fired direct fire at charge 1 with a time fuze on it. It is for antipersonnel use.

Jesus, I could provide color commentary to that book
If you control f 77th and double check dates, you'll find some info that may help your friend.

Warning. Seems like the 77th FAR had several battalions in Vietnam doing all sorts of rando shit. 2-77 pops up a few times though.

Bump. Bob, wishing you success in whatever has your plate full. In different cities, for others, I have met the city agent as mentioned by Len and also a group that meets at the local American Legion. They have varying levels of concern for sure. Thank you for looking out for him. [rockon]
I don't know if he's still here on NES, but @JFR2 is/was a Veteran's Agent for his town (SW of Boston). He's a good guy who was active here until he changed jobs and he was very serious about doing a good job as a Veteran's Agent. I don't know if he can point the OP's friend to anyone who could help him.

I've been tripping down memory lane reading and remembering those interesting times. This is a link to I'd like to share for those interested Jim's long time a friend of mine and I'm a huge fan. He was drafted out Art School and served as a grunt in War Zone III. His paintings are brilliant. Enjoy, do click on his book "Vietnam War Paintings" for better 'color. than I could muster Jim Nelson - Portraits and Paintings

Sgt 'Roscoe' 3rd of 22nd infantry, 25 Infantry Division for the win, he gave me his referral for DAV Rep Herb Colon from Holyoke he said he's bumping my buddy's case to National. DAV Rep Colon said "I've been doing this 16years for free"
DAV Rep Colon is a damn idiot, he told my buddy to file his claim in R.I.

Today I got a call from my buddy saying his claim was rejected! He forwarded me his VA claim adjudication letter and I noticed it wasn't his RI VA rep that filed the claim, it was Mass DAV rep Colon who filed a claim without am iota, relevant evidence or even telling him he was filing. No F*cks given apparently for Vietnam combat vets.

DAV Rep Colon is a damn idiot, he told my buddy to file his claim in R.I.

Today I got a call from my buddy saying his claim was rejected! He forwarded me his VA claim adjudication letter and I noticed it wasn't his RI VA rep that filed the claim, it was Mass DAV rep Colon who filed a claim without am iota, relevant evidence or even telling him he was filing. No F*cks given apparently for Vietnam combat vets.
Most DAV Reps are bafoons. Did he sign anything with Mr Colon? Tell him to shitcan Colon and get all his medical records and doctors notes together and File a fully developed claim in the State he lives in.

Good news finally, I got a call from my buddy in RI he found a unexpected $20K lump sum in his banking account. We did the math and it looks like he had an existing 50% for near total hearing loss, seems like they gave him 20% for PTSD and added 30% for employability bringing it to 100%. We haven't seen the paperwork yet. We plan to celebrate on Tuesday. He was living on meager Social Security pension, and things were tough for him. He smiling ear to ear now.... Thanks everybody for your support mission accomplished

Back
Top Bottom