ANTIQUE restorations

Hi everyone, I've recently come into the posession of an 18th century flintlock pistol. It is quite beautiful in it's design (pictures to come). However, it is in slightly rough shape. The barrel, while still shiney, is showing large patches of dark rust begining to show on the barrel and the brass is turning almost a greenish color. Any recommendations? Someone suggested jewelry cleaner and a soft toothbrush, but I don't want to do anything that could damage it. It's lasted all these years, I'm not going to see it ruined on my watch.

Any suggestions, or should I leave it as-is??

In most cases, in order to preserve value and historic appeal, do nothing to "clean/polish" it, just keep it from getting any worse. Your call of course. Who's make is it? I have a couple of locally made ones and am looking forward to the pictures.

Hi everyone, I've recently come into the posession of an 18th century flintlock pistol. It is quite beautiful in it's design (pictures to come). However, it is in slightly rough shape. The barrel, while still shiney, is showing large patches of dark rust begining to show on the barrel and the brass is turning almost a greenish color. Any recommendations? Someone suggested jewelry cleaner and a soft toothbrush, but I don't want to do anything that could damage it. It's lasted all these years, I'm not going to see it ruined on my watch.

Any suggestions, or should I leave it as-is??

Lightly oil it just to stop the corrosion from spreading and keep it in a dry place (next to a dehumidifier if possible). As far as scrubbing, polishing, "cleaning", try to avoid it at all costs. The finish might look like hell but to a collector that's a rich patina that shows the age of the piece. Even small things that you may not think are harming it could drastically hurt the value of the firearm. Good luck with it

In most cases, in order to preserve value and historic appeal, do nothing to "clean/polish" it, just keep it from getting any worse. Your call of course. Who's make is it? I have a couple of locally made ones and am looking forward to the pictures.

Foreign made... most likely Mediteranean or Middle Eastern... the smith did put his signature on the barrel plate, but it's pretty well worn and near illegible.

As promised the images...

1. I believe this is the signature of the smith who made this... as you can see it is pretty well worn AVBO... I can't read the rest..
DSC00888.jpg

2.Anyone up for clubbing? It's all brass...
DSC00886.jpg

3. The side plate
DSC00885.jpg

4. The trigger guard
DSC00884.jpg

5. The flintlock, very ornate
DSC00883.jpg

6. The full pistol... Please note the elastic. It is missing the brass band that was there, I'm going to try to build one and put it there, for now, the elastic is just holding it together.
DSC00882.jpg

Anyone have any ideas about this one? It's origins or anything else? let me know what ya think! Any other pics of it, let me know.

if its a vintage piece do not clean it.......my friend cleaned a old sword he found in a house clean out. Polished it out real nice, cleaned up well. Turned a US cavalry civil war erra field officers sword went from aprox 3000.00 untouched to about 1k all purty and shiny.

That is really cool. I think i would take the rubber band off, they tend to degrade and get nasty, wouldn't want it to leave a residue. I would just wrap some monofilament fishing line around it.

Turnbull restorations is the "go to" guy for true antique gun re$toration$ - http://www.turnbullmfg.com/

Turns out he worked at the now defunct shop that I used to seldom when I was in high school because it had a free range out back.

Back
Top Bottom