• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anthropologist: Guns have an almost supernatural potency to change the people who possess them into

mikeyp

NES Member
upload_2019-4-24_15-10-43.png

Which links to this story

https://psmag.com/social-justice/how-guns-change-us

"Whoever touches that gun, he'll die at some point ... because it acts on you," explained a 37-year-old man who lives in the poor neighborhood of Bel Air in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, where I have worked as an anthropologist since 2008. Kal* was talking about a specific Smith & Wesson .38 special caliber revolver, long the standard issue gun of American police and United States-trained security forces in Haiti. After being purchased for $75 from a former army soldier, this gun passed through the hands of three men: a young father, Frantz; Papapa, a young man; and Henri, another new father.

All three were shot and killed in their community between December of 2012 and February of 2013. Although the trant-uit (.38), as residents called the gun, did not fire all the lethal bullets, all died while in possession of it.

When I asked Belairians why these deaths occurred, they often surmised that the gunmen fell victim to maji, or "magic." In Haiti, magic refers to an unethical use of spiritual power, distinct from ceremonial forms of Vodou, which call on ancestors to heal and protect the family. (Vodou is the preferred spelling, rather than Voodoo, which some practitioners view as derogatory.) This form of magic entails engaging with secret powers that allow a person to advance at the expense of another. To many, the men died because the occult forces they had been using for unethical gain had ultimately turned against them—opening them up to conflict and failing to protect them.

Um...we all die at some point? lol

<snip>
To many, the men died because the occult forces they had been using for unethical gain had ultimately turned against them—opening them up to conflict and failing to protect them.
<snip>

So they were using dark forces to gain unfair advantage and the universe decided they should be punished. But it's the gun's fault? M'kay....

Maybe that is true for Haiti.

Must be the lack of libraries.

Do they have books by Mas Ayoob and Andrew Branca?

The 3rd world lack the civility of the US.

Ok, I read the article.

The author gets close but goes all new-age layering (literally) magical powers onto the inanimate object.

The gun is a tool. It is only a tool. It allows one to extend their intent beyond their normal reach. The gun does not make one good or evil. If possessing a gun makes you evil, you were already evil but did not have the means to express it. If possessing a gun makes you a hero, you were already a hero.

This is the fundamental concept that we all understand and the antis will never understand. We see the tool for what it is and recognize that those who would do evil with a gun will do evil without a gun. We seek to end evil actions by ending the cause of the evil. End the desire to use the tools and there is no need to remove the tools. Others see the tool as the cause and seek to end evil actions by removing the tools. End the ability to use the tools and the desire remains to seek a new tool.

The guy might want to venture out of Haiti and see what a non chithole country looks like.
He might soil himself if he learned there were what 30 million gun owners (I'd say that's lowballing it ) here.
No one should be left alive .

Classic causation/correlation error. 3 men died, they all had owning the gun in common ergo the gun caused their deaths. That kind of thinking leads to rain dances and turning your cap inside out when your team is losing. “I got laid when I wore this shirt, therefor it’s my lucky shirt and if I wear it I’ll get laid” and you go out and you get laid - see? It’s the shirt!

Sounds like he recently rented Live and Let Die.

Live_and_Let_Die_Mission1.gif

My brother owns a multitrack recording deck he picked up for his studio that he refuses to sell due to the fact that every person who has owned it suffered a crippling accident that took their ability to play shortly after acquiring it.

I've been to Africa and saw first hand what people there do to each other. They did a thorough yet extremely ugly job using machetes. No guns involved. Just a blade and evil, vile people. I'm sure our anthropologist has a plausible explanation. But it probably comes down to white people being the problem.

I was living in the Virgin Islands when then Senator Adelbert Bryan blamed the gun problem on “Transient White Males” yet strangely enough shot (In the back) and killed his own son a few years later...

I've been to Africa and saw first hand what people there do to each other. They did a thorough yet extremely ugly job using machetes. No guns involved. Just a blade and evil, vile people. I'm sure our anthropologist has a plausible explanation. But it probably comes down to white people being the problem.
A lot has to do with "every resource of the state will be used to find and punish you" vs. "no big deal, happens every day, if you insist we will take a report but that's about it". Ever hear of a 3rd world s-hole country (ok, I just disqualified myself from holding public office) investigating a case for years until it finds out who done did the deed, or keeping actual evidence on file for decades because murder cases are never really closed?

Back
Top Bottom