Another Old Springfield M1903

I already had one early M1903 Springfield which was converted from the .30-03 caliber to .30-06. But when another came along in a completely proper stock with correct period inspector initials, no crossbolts, high wood along the receiver, no sight groove in the handguard, and the repositioned front band/bayo lug from its days as a stock for the M1903/05 style, I just had to have another one for the collection.

XhPgboRl.jpg

89ufzZol.jpg

th85AFul.jpg

Gr8tOpml.jpg

lynnMyRl.jpg

During the rebuild period of late 1906 to 1910, the early barrels which were still in the original caliber of .30-03 were shortened by 0.2" and rechambered for the .30-06 cartridge. The post-rod bayonet stocks, which had been fitted for the M1905 styled front band with knife bayonet lug, were also shortened. Wooden plugs were inserted 0.2" forward from the present location of the retention bolt hole for the front band.

yjFDSftl.jpg

aEnvYrgl.jpg

The stock has the proper small (1/8") S-stamp on the nose, with another small S appearing on the top rear of the handguard. There is no Circle-P proof mark behind the trigger guard, and instead a number 34 over the letter A appears at that location. Front band has the correct H-stamp on the bottom of the lug. Buttplate is the pre-1910 smooth surface.

zHacZ6kl.jpg

ZxCwSsGl.jpg

HQGNbKJl.jpg

hH4696wl.jpg

XXQIIxyl.jpg

One unfortunate circumstance, the boxed-JFC (J.F. Coyle 1906-07) inspector cartouche has been cancelled, though it is still legible. It also appears that a name was stamped into the wood on the left side under the receiver, and it was also cancelled. I haven't been able to decipher the cancelled print yet, and the reason for the cancelled cartouches isn't known. A letter H appears inside the cutoff recess.

OBotje5l.jpg

NhWH8aHl.jpg

uCbWjLLl.jpg

The rear sight base was upgraded ca. 1906-1910, with a solid sleeve around the barrel vs. the open bottomed two band sleeve which would have been present on the '05 barrel with its original .30-03 rear sight base. The trigger guard has the upgraded and shortened slot for the trigger travel, vs. the original elongated slot on early rifles. The bolt has only one punch mark on the root handle, and does not appear to be marked consistent with Springfield production (early Rock Island?). I'm unsure if the striker knob, safety and sleeve are correct, either.

xAn2Djul.jpg

gL6DCfRl.jpg

C0bw4vHl.jpg

YFPCRAfl.jpg

h1DVmw5l.jpg

The rear sight leaf looks to be a correct second style which was calibrated for the .30-06, with graduations to 2,800 yards and a notch in the top of the blade for the maximum sighting distance of 2,850. The drift knob is the small diameter early style with the center groove in the outer knurl. It also has the correct second style drift slide, with the horizontal index line which intersects the peep hole. And the shortened and rechambered SA-05-A marked barrel with 20" bore length is certainly a good match to the 119,822 serial number on the 1905 built receiver.

4zQ5LySl.jpg

yw0WvRSl.jpg

9IqKC0fl.jpg

DYULgoul.jpg

The front sight sleeve looks to be correct, pinned forward of the dovetail. But judging by the difference in bluing, the base and blade appear to have been replaced at a later date. Sight protector is unmarked. Not sure of the significance of the tag #27, but this gun was purchased at an auction which had thirty or more of the pre-WWII M1903 rifles with similar brass tags. Sling has no legible markings.

DziUvfOl.jpg

9Ez60ncl.jpg

UyVOG8Ml.jpg

hb82Maml.jpg

t5MMI3ml.jpg

It's not perfect. But it does have a lot of good early features for a gun which was converted from the M1903/05 configuration to the standard M1903 length and .30-06 chambering during the 1906 to 1910 rebuild period. The no-crossbolt stock with high wood is a scarce find unto itself. And, I seem to be a sucker for these old Springfields.

Hope you enjoyed the pics, and thanks for looking.

Sweet, I wish stuff like that came around my way.......
I get bits and pieces, example
Today it was a M2 SA flash hider, some 8x56 manlicher ammo and clips.....whoopie

Oops.

Almost forgot to add the accessories which came with the gun. The bayonet is a Springfield Armory from 1906. The leather scabbard is inspector marked as R.I.A. 1907. F.P.B. Frog leather is a little shrunken and starting to crack, so I don't think I'll carry it on a belt any time soon.

It also came with a U.S. marked canvas sight/muzzle cover.

Pics, and enjoy.

hvAJeR2l.jpg

Z1Zrc8il.jpg

ujYPJhVl.jpg

ulDTxr1l.jpg

KWv3et2l.jpg

fAD1p11l.jpg

Mgk6j5gl.jpg

qruwpuCl.jpg

7a39UCZl.jpg

W2EymUEl.jpg

Last edited:
This one was a major sleeper at Poulin's Auction House in Fairfield, ME. I was very surprised that the bidding for the whole package stayed under $1,200 (buyer premium included). The bayo and scabbard are worth about 1/2 the hammer down price.

Back
Top Bottom