Another Newbie Question

Which do you prefer for self defense- a pistol or a revolver? Why?

• Pistol.

Votes: 55 54.5%
  • Revolver.

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Not playing- BOTH!

Votes: 28 27.7%

• Total voters
Personally speaking

I prefer to carry a semi-auto pistol. Something simple, like a glock M&P or PPS in at least 9mm. Why?

• Slim profile
  • Clean profile
  • Simple to operate
  • 10+ round capacity
All of the reasons for owning a revolver are not lost on me - I have a beautiful 686 in a 4" barrel for home protection.

I've just never found a problem with my semi's compelling enough to give up the other benefits over a revolver on a daily carry basis. The bulge of the cylinder and weight distribution of the revolver is less comfortable for my (IWB) carry than a semi in PPS 9mm.

What works for us (and your instructor) may not work for you.

My first experience with a handgun was in the Army and was a Colt 1911 45. I hated when we switched to the Barretta 9mm. I hadn't fired a handgun for over 11 years then decided to get a permit this year. During mandatory training for the permit we shot a 22 auto, 38 revolver and a 45 auto. The revolver did not work for me (literally in SA mode) and the other guy in my class could not hit any part of the target until it was moved to within 10 feet with the 45. He will never carry a 45 and I will never carry a revolver.

The best advice is I can give is go to a range that rents and find out which caliber and gun work best for you. Then you can tell every newbie who asks why XYZ is the best gun to carry ;)!

I carry a Commander sized 1911.

Last edited:
It is a personal choice. I liken it to anything else I wear - I wear the shoes that are comfortable for me and don't care what other women wear....or men.[grin]. I can see a "case" for both.

I never thought about asking anyone else.

Well- I know it boils down to whatever works for me. But I like to hear the arguments for or against one or the other. I figure I might learn something new, I might discover some pressing reason for one or the other that I hadn't considered before.

Like, what are other people looking for and why, and how many people here consider revolvers to be so much safer than pistols/SA, or is there not so much difference? That kind of thing. I want to get a feel for what is in people's heads and how they function, why they pick what they did. Then I can choose what I think is important or not important. I want to learn off other peoples' experience, rather than spend all those hours and all those dollars going by trial and error [smile]

I didn't vote only because, depending on what I'm wearing that day, I might carry the revolver, or I might go with the .40. Usually it's the .40. Then again, when I was working armed security, I carried the .40 in plain sight and had the revolver in an ankle holster as back up. [smile]

When I first started to carry, however, it was the revolver. Only because that was my first hand gun. [wink]

Like, what are other people looking for and why, and how many people here consider revolvers to be so much safer than pistols/SA, or is there not so much difference? That kind of thing. I want to get a feel for what is in people's heads and how they function, why they pick what they did. Then I can choose what I think is important or not important. I want to learn off other peoples' experience, rather than spend all those hours and all those dollars going by trial and error [smile]

Personally hun - starting out as a newbie - I would not carry a single action. If you want something that's a PHD gun (Pull Here Dear), then go with a revolver. When you're more confident and have tried some semi's, then you can decide if that's what you want. Just remember, if you want to carry a semi at some point - keep it clean. If "ick" builds up then that's when problems start.

Like, what are other people looking for and why, and how many people here consider revolvers to be so much safer than pistols/SA, or is there not so much difference?

It would seem to me that a loaded revolver is equivalent to carrying a DA/SA auto with one in the chamber, safety off and decocked, no? What's the difference? Either way, you have just a DA trigger pull and it goes bang.

A SA-only auto like the 1911 is a different story. I just find "cocked and locked" scary, and don't think I'd feel comfortable with it, but I'm a noob so what do I know? I know lots of folks here carry 1911s and I don't seem to be hearing lots of stories of AD's so I'm sure it's just a mental thing.

It would seem to me that a loaded revolver is equivalent to carrying a DA/SA auto with one in the chamber, safety off and decocked, no? What's the difference? Either way, you have just a DA trigger pull and it goes bang.

A SA-only auto like the 1911 is a different story. I just find "cocked and locked" scary, and don't think I'd feel comfortable with it, but I'm a noob so what do I know? I know lots of folks here carry 1911s and I don't seem to be hearing lots of stories of AD's so I'm sure it's just a mental thing.

Think of a 1911 as "Cocked and locked " with 2 physical safeties and then you need to pull the trigger.

Think of a Glock as Cocked and Unlocked

Think of a DA as Uncocked (when carried)

And a revolver as DA Uncocked.

ETA: All of these are safe to carry if you have a GOOD HOLSTER!

No I'm definitely not going to go for SA. I read about that- no, too dangerous in my book, I want more safety features. But more power to those that carry SA, if they make it work then great!

I really like all the arguments in favor of the revolver. I'm kind of thinking a revolver should be the first gun and I should go for a pistol as a companion as soon as finances permit.

However I'm not too concerned about the relative complexity of the pistol, as far as my learning to use/strip/clean it is concerned. I'm generally good with my hands, I tend to learn things through action and that sort of learning is something I am pretty good with. I'm pretty sure I can learn to make it all be second nature. I'm more concerned about reliability, sturdiness, and having a range of choices available to me.

Now don't ask me to do math though, it's just about hopeless, and if you want directions from me be prepared to walk outside with me while I physically point down the road and consider in my head for 5 minutes which way I take to get to the highway [laugh]

"a PHD gun (Pull Here Dear)" [rofl] I love it!!! [laugh]

Think of a 1911 as "Cocked and locked " with 2 physical safeties and then you need to pull the trigger.

Think of a Glock as Cocked and Unlocked

Think of a DA as Uncocked (when carried)

And a revolver as DA Uncocked.

ETA: All of these are safe to carry if you have a GOOD HOLSTER!

Crap, now I'm confused again. All these terms are fairly new to me, my poor little brain is chugging hard to reference all that. Keep in mind please I never in my life even knew anyone that owned a gun, I'm on new ground. Where's a website or something that can break all this down for me please? Thanks-

*edit* wait, found one- http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/cockedandlocked.htm

Last edited:
No I'm definitely not going to go for SA. I read about that- no, too dangerous in my book, I want more safety features.

Do you honestly think you are qualified to make that statement?

Weren't you the one who made some completely incorrect statements about the safety of some guy flying a private airplane out of a pasture on his farm without knowing ANYTHING about the Federal Air Regulations?

I will correct you again like I did then. Single action semi automatic handguns are not too dangerous. They are no more dangerous than a revolver in trained hands. The flip side is that ANY handgun in untrained or marginally trained hands is a dangerous one.

Do you honestly think you are qualified to make that statement?

Weren't you the one who made some completely incorrect statements about the safety of some guy flying a private airplane out of a pasture on his farm without knowing ANYTHING about the Federal Air Regulations?

I will correct you again like I did then. Single action semi automatic handguns are not too dangerous. They are no more dangerous than a revolver in trained hands. The flip side is that ANY handgun in untrained or marginally trained hands is a dangerous one.

Couldn't you think of a nicer way to put that?!? [thinking]

No of course I'm not "qualified"- I was speaking from what I had read and what I had been told. If I find out different then terrific- you don't have to treat me like a dumbass [thinking]

Couldn't you think of a nicer way to put that?!? [thinking]

No of course I'm not "qualified"- I was speaking from what I had read and what I had been told. If I find out different then terrific- you don't have to treat me like a dumbass [thinking]

Maybe you should make your statements less definitive if you have little experience on the subject matter, no?

Annie -

First - What is the largest caliber you shoot well with or are at least comfortable with?

Second- we find a gun in that caliber that fits your hand and meets size requirements etc.

Third- See if you can operate it as it is designed / striker / decocking/ safety whatever is applicable.

If you are leaning twords a revolver there is nothing wrong with that.

Maybe you should make your statements less definitive if you have little experience on the subject matter, no?

True- I tend to do that-

Walk in over my head & then fake it till I get it, hope no-one notices- combine that with forgetting to think about what I post before I post it- [rofl] Faking it can be a good survival tool sometimes but not so hot for forums [rofl]

Last edited:
Annie -

First - What is the largest caliber you shoot well with or are at least comfortable with?

Second- we find a gun in that caliber that fits your hand and meets size requirements etc.

Third- See if you can operate it as it is designed / striker / decocking/ safety whatever is applicable.

If you are leaning twords a revolver there is nothing wrong with that.

It's gonna be a week or so before I can get up the range fees- then I'll find out- [thinking]

Personal preferance, pistol, best 1st gun Glock.

Never liked them before I shot one and then I was hooked. I have fired thousands of rounds through my G19 with three failures, two were in the same 50 round box of ammo and they were both low on powder. The rounds shot but caught in the slide as they ejected. The last failure was when a 10 round mag broke and it did not hold the slide back after the last round.

Revolvers are great to shoot and I love my friends with a hair trigger on it. But revolvers can jam as well, not often but neither will a good pistol.

I have heard you can speed load a revolver as fast as a pistol with practice but I have never seen this.

On a revolver if the barrel and cylinder are not aligned you get slivers of lead spraying out the sides.
And Glocks do not like reloads.

Again neither is best for everyone, just personal preferance. Some gun dealers with a range will let you try used guns if you buy ammo from them and have a license for that gun.

Watch Jerry Michulek speed load a revolver and you'll change your mind. All I shoot out of my glocks are reloads. I have a 17,21,23,and 26. They all shoot reloads great.

Back
Top Bottom