ANOTHER milsurp...

Actually, this was the first milsurp I bought after getting my C&R license, although it was a FTF transaction (thanks again Chipperman!):

8mmMauser002.jpg

I was curious how the 8mm compared to other rifle ammo, so I dipped my hand in the old ammo locker and came up with a few others for comparison:

8mmMauser007.jpg

8mm (7.92X57mm, but you knew that) on the left, with 7.62X54mmR next to it, then .30-30 Winchester, 7.62X39mm, and the oddball 6.5mm Carcano rounding out the group. Pistol ammo in the foreground is .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, 9mm, and .22LR and is included to give some perspective on the rifle ammo. Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles, indeed...

Yeah I like Turk rifles. Theres quite a few variations of them too. If you're not careful you may wind up doing the "well now I need a Turk ____ and a Turk model ____ to round out my collection. Then maybe a Turk ____ and then I'll stop" yeah right.[laugh]

c5126596.jpg

f6cbe13d.jpg

Yup. I fired it two weekends ago. Took it to a friend's private range and made some plastic jugs dance with 8mm mil-surp magic... [smile]

At 50 yards it was grouping ~ 4". I am CERTAIN that has a LOT more to do with the shooter than the rifle. Loaded and shot just fine.

After 10 rounds (5 on paper, 5 at the jugs) my shoulder was crying... Had to go down to pistols and .22 rifles after that. Then busted out the shotgun and put ~ 50 rounds of birdshot, buckshot, and slugs down range.

Last Monday I couldn't lift my right arm any higher than mid-chest level...

Ammo has a lot to do with grouping I noticed. I read somewhere a while back that the Romanian 8mm ammo had a lighter weight bullet that worked better in long barelled mauser types like the Turks, while the Yugo stuff with heavier bullet worked better in the carbines like the M48, K98, etc.

Back
Top Bottom