another great afternoon on stand

Nov 10th Cloudy and 49 degrees

Mountain Property

I got onto the site at 1 pm today. After being disturbed by the walkers yesterday I knew I had to relocate to someplace the deer would feel safe.

I dropped my stuff off at where I sat yesterday and proceeded to walk a 300 yard perimeter of where the buck had bedded two days ago. I worked high to low. There was some decent sign up above where I had sat yesterday but when I got down low into an oak tree studded draw there were tons of tracks in the leaves. In addition on the other side of the draw as I crossed it I jumped 4 deer in the low pines. Ok my mind was set. I picked a tree, dropped my bow there and went back for my climber and pack.

I got set up about 25 feet up. Real nice afternoon. Bunches of squirrels doing there thing. One thing I noticed the other day is this property is loaded with acorns. The blue jays are still knocking them down out of the trees.

Back right down the draw
nov10-4.jpg

Left down the hill
NOv10-1.jpg

Out in front up the draw where it narrows

nov10-2.jpg

About 4:10 I see movement to my right coming down the side of the hill towards me.

Unfortunately he moves into the one place I cannot video with my homemade camera mount. He keeps moving away and then coming closer. There is a stump that he seems to be captivated by. He keeps going back to it and either eating next to it. I figure it to be 40 yards away. About the 5th time he returns to the stump he gets his front legs up on it and I have a clear shot. I draw, settle the pin and squeeze.

It looks like the arrow goes just under him. My heart drops.

But.....

He takes off like a raped ape. Crashing through stuff, then I think I hear him thrashing, antler hitting rock or tree.... Could it be?

I climb down the tree, taking my time. I make my way over to the stump to look for the arrow. Its not there. Where did it go? I look to the right and I see half of it lying in the leaves.

Then I see blood, lots of blood.

It was an easy tracking job, he only went 60 yards or so and at the end I walk up on him like this.

101d5196-390c-4c79-b926-345bf389f69f.jpg

Left lung was obliterated and there was a big slice in the heart.

I would like to thank Mbullism, Bassface, Jbozington, Massthru, Baystategamecock for shooting with me at the 3D shoots this fall. I really think those shoots gave me the confidence to make this shot.

Hanging at home

bucknov102010003.jpg

bucknov102010001.jpg

152 pounds dressed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting both the pictures and your narrative. It should give some hope to those that are striking out about right now.

Back
Top Bottom