Another FN-49.. This one is Argentine

USMA-82

NES Member
So, recently I continued my FN-49 infatuation by getting an example of the Argentine Contract - in 7.62x51 NATO. A little over 5500 of these rifles were sold to Argentina in 1954 and 1955, but they were chambered in 7.65 Argentine caliber. After the country adopted the FAL, they decided to extend the service life of their FN-49's by converting them to the 7.62x51 cartridge (re-barrel), and adding a 20-round detachable magazine.

Approximately 2,000 of these rifles were eventually surplus'd and imported into the United States. Here's one of them:

Full-length view - note prominent 20-round mag and rack number on butt:
IMG_3938.jpg

Close up receiver view - receiver, cover, barrel, bolt carrier and stock all match
IMG_3937.jpg

The "ARA" on the receiver ring stands for "Armada de la Republica Argentina" - Argentine Navy
IMG_3940.jpg

The 20-round mag was manufactured specifically for Argentina by Metalurgica Centro
IMG_3945.jpg

I couldn't use the 100-yard range today (occupied), but the 50-yard groups were reasonable:
IMG_3949.jpg

For everything you ever wanted to know about this rifle or any of the FN-49 series, pick up Wayne Johnson's "The FN-49: The Last Elegant, Old-World Military Rifle." You can get it here:

www.FN49.com

Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Nice rifle and nice grouping.
What ammo did you use ?

I shot a variety of different rounds yesterday (90 total). For that target I shot some Black Hills match grade rounds I had from Highpower Rifle competition. But I had groupings nearly as good from some old Malaysian surplus I had sitting around. Close, but not quite as good were surplus rounds from South Africa.

Next time I'll see what I can do with some handloads.

Back
Top Bottom