another christmas find

Been searching under the radar for one of these for a couple years. when I sold mine I got from the cmp in 2005, they were very common to find, last few years not so much.

as my kid is now almost 9, and is showing an interest in shooting, figure get something to teach him marksmanship with, that also fits in my wwii collection.

a Mossberg 44US, us property WWII training rifle. mfg approx. 1944 or early45 this one was in better shape than the one I originally had, and love the bluing on it as well.

will sight in at reading rifle on of these nights, and how to get my boy out to the range soon after with it, as im sure hes not ready for the garand, or even better my bar, or browning 1919 beltfed :D

Nice.

The 44US(a) was made between 1944-1946. Being US Property marked it's probably closer to 1944. The (a) had an adjustable trigger added.
I have 6 or 7 of them. They cost too much for me to buy now. I'm spoiled by the cheap prices.

It looks like you have some trigger guards shrinkage. You can heat it up a little with a hair dryer and use a couple tie wraps to hold it in place until it cools. Just don't cinch them too tight or they will dent the stock.

Last edited:
I love those....I sold the one I had to help fund buying my house. Now 15 years later the price keeps me from grabbing another. Mine was fun to shoot. I had a small globe front sight on mine and my dad dialed it in very nice for 25 yards. I never shot anything else with it.. had my Glenfield with 7/8" scope for the variable distance shots.

Nice.

The 44US(a) was made between 1944-1946. Being US Property marked it's probably closer to 1944. The (a) had an adjustable trigger added.
I have 6 or 7 of them. They cost too much for me to buy now. I'm spoiled by the cheap prices.

It looks like you have some trigger guards shrinkage. You can heat it up a little with a hair dryer and use a couple tie wraps to hold it in place until it cools. Just don't cinch them too tight or they will dent the stock.

Nice thanks for the tip on trigger guard.

Read somewhere the sn range for wwii military. 44us were 100000 to 150000. Can't find my reference to that anywhere now though.

Also couldn't find reference to the alpha code revisions.

My last was a 118000 with no revision.

The original consensus was no 44(a)'s were issued to the military, but a lot have shown up so it is suspected that they were used to fulfill the original military contract.

For a little while I had the lowest # NWSC 44US. I had #58 until someone found #2 barreled receiver at the CMP. NWSC stood for Naval Weapons Support Center. Crane.

Basically the Navy received a bunch of 44US rifles and changed the SN's and parkerized them.

IMG_2781.jpg

I have a 44 US also, in practically the same condition, from the CMP. It is kind of heavy for my 10 year old son, unless he bench rests it, but I take it out sometimes to shoot .22's with him (I picked him up a Ruger American Rimfire Compact that fits him better). The Mossberg is shockingly accurate with those peep sights.

Last edited:
yeah this is also drilled and tapped for scope mount. saw for sale a mount on springfieldshooters or something for 26 bucks. was thinking of putting a scope on it. I tend to teach him to shoot from a bench rest first anyway just to ensure he can align the target and hit it properly.

as for requests to go out to try the bar, 1919 ect, theres a long list of people who want to try, and usually will accommodate.

D@mn you all!

Just when I had my Mossberg "jonesing" under control, you drag me back in.

That's a nice rifle you have there. My last remaining Mossberg is also a 44US(a). It has no serial number but does have "USMA" stamped in several places, which makes me wonder if was a military rifle sometime in the past. I had several people over at RimfireCentral declare that it was some sort of forgery. Looking at yours makes me wonder.

IMG_0530_zps14df5dfc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom