Another Celebrity compare herself to a warrior

Honest question: in terms of being tough as nails, what civilian occupation could legitimately compare themselves to a modern day warfighter? Cowboy? Small-time farmer? Miner? Fisherman? Oil rig operator?

I ask because, say, 125 years ago being a soldier didn't always equate to the most hazardous or toughest job out there. However, we're no longer an agrarian society and I find myself wondering how soft modern society has really become compared to decades past.

Last edited:
what's "tough"? Getting shot at, risk, or dying? No first hand experience, but in WWII merchant marine was a suck place to be, more likely to be sunk without any benefits of being actual military (that was amended later) In terms of dying, there are plenty of occupations with good odds of that. Also, combat medics and journalists would be a suck places too.

Honest question: in terms of being tough as nails, what civilian occupation could legitimately compare themselves to a modern day warfighter? Cowboy? Small-time farmer? Miner? Fisherman? Oil rig operator?

I ask because, say, 125 years ago being a soldier didn't always equate to the most hazardous or toughest job out there. However, we're no longer an agrarian society and I find myself wondering how soft modern society has really become compared to decades past.

I think 150 years ago, serving as a soldier in the civil war, that was probably the most hazardous/toughest job around.

I think 150 years ago, serving as a soldier in the civil war, that was probably the most hazardous/toughest job around.

That's exactly why I didn't ask about 150 years ago. The tactics and equipment used during the Civil War created massive slaughter. Hazardous, I agree. Tough, yes. But keep in mind military training was practically nonexistent at the time...particularly in the CSA. Those kids grew up tough, knowing hardship all their life.

Even then, an American Indian brave was as tough a warrior as anyone.

I guess I'm wondering if there's a civilian occupation where a veteran who had seen combat would say "dude, you have my respect". And whether the list has changed over the decades.

Last edited:
what's "tough"? Getting shot at, risk, or dying? No first hand experience, but in WWII merchant marine was a suck place to be, more likely to be sunk without any benefits of being actual military (that was amended later) In terms of dying, there are plenty of occupations with good odds of that. Also, combat medics and journalists would be a suck places too.

My old man was in the merchant marine and the stories he told us about U Boats and dive bombers specifically going after the merchant ships. A nighttime U Boat attack was especially terrifying. Here's an example of what they went through.

USS Ohio
Operation Pedestal

"It’s almost like, how in war, you go through this bloody dehumanizing thing and then something is defined out of it."

She was talking out of her ass; No need for people to get worked up over hyperbole. Yeah, she's out of touch with reality.

That's exactly why I didn't ask about 150 years ago. The tactics and equipment used during the Civil War created massive slaughter. Hazardous, I agree. Tough, yes. But keep in mind military training was practically nonexistent at the time...particularly in the CSA. Those kids grew up tough, knowing hardship all their life.

Even then, an American Indian brave was as tough a warrior as anyone.

I guess I'm wondering if there's a civilian occupation where a veteran who had seen combat would say "dude, you have my respect". And whether the list has changed over the decades.

I'll agree, I would rather fight with those Braves, than against them. Fearless.

Back
Top Bottom