• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another C&R Question

Has anyone ever let their C&R expire and then gone back to get it later on? Also, does the expired C&R have any effect on the guns that were purchased on it?

just curious...

Has anyone ever let their C&R expire and then gone back to get it later on? Also, does the expired C&R have any effect on the guns that were purchased on it?

just curious...

Yup. There's even a school of thought that says to do that intentionally, as the renewal application wants you to list your acquisitions/dispositions. I let mine expire, although unintentionally. I missed the actual month it expired. There's no "grace-period," so I had to reapply for a new one, even though it was like 2 months after the expiration of the old one. I just kept my bound-book from the first one, although technically once your license expires you're no longer "bound" to keep it. Basically, I'm treating it as if it never lapsed.

BTW, the second one came in less than 3 weeks, FWIW.

Scott, you are wrong on one significant thing . . .

C&Rs are obligated to keep the BB for 20 years following expiration of your C&R License (although you don't have to send it in to BATFE). You are supposed to start a brand new BB when you get your new license (only for those that expired and re-apply at some later date).

Having a C&R makes you obligated to present your records to BATFE periodically should they decide to inspect them, so having to list them on the renewal shouldn't be a major source of concern.

I renewed my C&R last month. As to listing acquisitions/dispositions, they only ask for the numbers, for example: 10 acquisitions, 5 dispositions. And this applies only to weapons acquired with your C&R. They do not ask for any details such as serial numbers, from whom you bought, etc. The C&R is a good deal even for a casual collector. As long as you abide by the rules, you shouldn't have any problems. HTH
Charlie

Back
Top Bottom