1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Another blogger on the left wonders why Democrats champion firearm prohibition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DispositionMatrix, May 15, 2019.

1. DispositionMatrix

DispositionMatrix NES Member

The Great Contradiction: Why American Liberals Ought to Oppose Gun Control

wahsben, Jason Flare, Arto and 3 others like this.

2. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

It's not a hard concept to grasp.
    You can't successfully suspend the constitution and declare yourself supreme ruler when a large portion of the population is armed.
    Look at people like Hillary and Maura Healy .
    They don't consider themselves public servants.
    They consider themselves your rulers.

Nikos, wahsben, Roadglide and 12 others like this.
  3. 67ray

67ray NES Member

IIRC the Pink Pistols grew in popularity exactly for the incidents that occurred like that described here

4. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Ssshhhh, let them keep digging!

Jason Flare likes this.
  5. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

Why do we keep telling the liberals how to win?

StevieP, Palladin, dingbat and 2 others like this.
  6. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

This thread should have more responses. I realize that this forum is for the most part a giant echo chamber, but this is good logic. Regardless as to whether or not we agree with the political alignment of one another, as gun owners and supporters of the second amendment we should all be using words and arguments akin to this. Be it Pink Pistols or Black Panthers, organized groups utilizing and hopefully fighting for our second amendment rights are our allies.

M1911, CAR and teamRR like this.
  7. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

Even if one doesn't agree with all of the author's assertions?

8. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

A truly amazing take on the bizarre contradiction that encompasses the liberal democratic party. I’d like to think that once exposed to the OP many would realize the errors behind gun control but then I remind myself how spineless and structure guided the ones that surround me are...

Tinkermatic likes this.
  9. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

I'll tell you why, because mentally defective people don't grasp logic and make their decisions based on emotions. And here you are trying to figure out why logic doesn't work.

There is also a class of people who pander to the former and those who want to, because politics of fear works best and are very lucrative careers. Obesity and doctors are scary, but guns are scarier still, hence efficacy of the movement.

Roadglide, teaser452, xjma99 and 3 others like this.
  10. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

"Because people like your liberal friends keep making excuses at the primaries like "there are more important issues than gun rights" and you don't call them out on it, and then you say nothing when the pols you vote for
    court the urban retard vote by sucking for more gun control. Oh, and lest we forget, some of these pols are part of the problem- they profit HEAVILY off the suffering of the people you supposedly think they help, That's why. "

Ironically the same type of making-excuses problem is often true on the jingoservative side as well. If that wasn't a problem on the right, the right would have "welded the hatch shut" on gun control a long time ago by passing a bunch of laws that limit abuse.

-Mike

11. Cipher

Cipher NES Member

Across all boundaries and creeds the fundamental right to bear arms is a tune we can all sing to.

12. new guy

new guy NES Member

Gun control as a mainstream liberal cause makes no sense, but it doesn’t have to because gun control is a built in part of the party platform. You separate it from the platform by not voting for it. You get people to stop voting for it by making it uncool. You make it uncool by making being pro gun cool. You make being pro gun cool to the leftists by pointing out that guns are the only way to defend America from the evil extremists on the right.

Easier said than done of course, but I feel like the pro gun concept is already catching on among the younger progressive crowd. Any time I see a post with cool gun stuff on a site like imgur I expect all the SJWs to lose their minds in the comments but that’s not what happens. They reject the right, but if you separate guns from the right they’re cool with them. It’s the older dems and the liberal leadership that’s always kicking and screaming about guns.

Tinkermatic likes this.
  13. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Honestly I dont want leftists to be armed. History has shown it's not such a great idea.

toekneepea, Radtekk and xjma99 like this.
  14. new guy

new guy NES Member

An armed society...

15. dingbat

dingbat NES Member

Because ultimately it should lead them to stop being liberals.

xjma99 and milktree like this.
  16. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

Funny, in one breath they want to defend themselves like most of us want, in the other they keep voting for the people that restrict rights.

Like a guy I know in Worc, he likes to shoot, owns and carries a G-19 cause he sees how the Jewish community is being targeted, he's Jewish. Complains that standard cap Mags are stupid hard to find and when found very expensive, but he worked for McGovern, has Pics of him with Kerry and Warren always votes Dem.
    He cant understand he is his own worst enemy.

teaser452 likes this.
  17. milktree

milktree NES Member

If you find someone you agree with on 100% of things, you're probably looking in a mirror.

18. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

Ever heard of something called the American Revolution? English Civil War? Glorious Revolution? In all three of those cases, armed leftists fought against statist oppression and won. In the chronologically last two, the instigators were members of the Whig liberal party.

Mesatchornug likes this.
  19. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

So the founding fathers were leftists? How's that? Regardless, I dont want today's leftists to be armed.

20. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

That’s a problem though. If we’re going to argue that the second amendment is a god given right that shall not be infringed, then you can’t say you don’t want leftists armed. You can’t have it both ways. It’s not a republican or democrat right, it’s a human right. The ability to defend ones self from the government or others is for everyone, left wing nut job or otherwise.

Edit- I realize you were probably just joking. However, my sentiments remain the same.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    StevieP, DarthRevan and milktree like this.
  21. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

The British political scene after the English Civil War was divided into a two-party system: Whigs on the left, who were the political heirs to the anti-absolutist movement in the English Civil War, and Tories (sound familiar?) on the right who supported Kings Charles II and James II and the monarchy. Charles II maintained popularity with most people during his reign but clashed with the Whigs on the question of whether or not the Duke of York (the future James II) would succeed Charles on the throne because James was Catholic. Charles refused to write James out of the succession and when James became king, the Whigs overthrew him in the Glorious Revolution and installed the Dutch stadtholder, who became King William III. The Whigs were liberals: they supported Parliament over the king, the creation of a written Bill of Rights (the English Bill of Rights), and the curtailment of absolute monarchy.

Fast forward eighty or so years and Britain still had two political parties: the liberal Whigs and the conservative Tories. In America, this political divide resulted in the Whigs being pro-Independence and the Tories being pro-Loyalist. The Whigs supported protection of civil rights and independence because the British government was infringing on what the Americans perceived to be their rights as freeborn Englishmen. The Tories supported either working for more representation within the political system or to follow London's lead.

If you notice, some towns founded after Independence are still named after Englishmen and English places, such as Pittsburg, NH. Pittsburg is named after William Pitt the Elder, a Whig (liberal), who supported what the Continental Congress was saying in 1774 and 1775.

William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham - Wikipedia

Similarly, Barre, VT and Mass, are named after an Irish Whig:

Isaac Barré - Wikipedia

So yeah, the Founding Fathers were liberal Whigs.

22. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

"the police are often disconnected from the communities they are expected to serve"
    Well, in the vast majority of democrat controlled cities, the police officers cannot afford to live in those cities.
    Add the fact that the neighborhoods most in need of increased patrols often are the ones that attack the police the most, the disconnect is entire predictable. No sane police officer is going to move his family to a high crime neighborhood where the local put bounties on police officers.

The author fails to grasp the fact that higher violent crime rates is a designed in feature of their disarmament plans, not an "unintended consequence." The left truly wants only criminals to have guns. They want the police required to keep their weapons, if allowed to carry, unloaded and holstered until an officer is hit by live fire. They want ROE similar to what our soldiers suffer and die under and are prosecuted when those ROE are deemed to be violated even if the soldier would have otherwise died.

Howland, xjma99 and Tinkermatic like this.
  23. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

Said in jest or in earnest, the better statement is, "I don't want any political, religious, ethnic, or other general group to be disarmed by action of the government simply because of who they are or what they believe. History has shown it's not such a great idea."

Governments always disarm those they will soon abuse. That's not to say that all governments that disarm their citizens soon abuse them, but history shows over and over that general disarmament seems like a good idea to many... until one faction decides that it, and only it, is allowed to arm back up, and does so, or otherwise gets total control of the government.

24. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

One of the biggest longstanding fears in the minds of many Englishmen was the creation of a standing army that answered to the monarch. Why? With a standing (professional) army, the king could put down any revolt without needing Parliament's OK or the nobility's support. In the lead-up to the English Civil War, the Glorious Revolution, and the American Revolution, the British Crown attempted to disarm both private citizens and militias in order to have more political control over the populace in preparation for increased centralization of power in the hands of the state.

It honestly is a shame that Americans know close to zilch about English constitutional history because its our history too. Up until 1775, it's our history and legal tradition.

Mesatchornug and teaser452 like this.
  25. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

^^ Yes, indeed. Parts of our Bill of Rights were modeled (word for word in places) on some of the various proposed and enacted rights through English history.

26. new guy

new guy NES Member

teaser452 likes this.
  27. ComradeSubutai

ComradeSubutai

Hey guys! I'm the author of this article. Hit me if you have any questions, suggestions, or so on.

28. new guy

new guy NES Member

Interesting. As self proclaimed liberals go you might not be so bad. [smile]

29. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

I wasnt joking. They've literally discussed rounding us up and putting us in reeducation camps.

Let them stick to their principles and shun all those icky guns. I'm all for it. Seems kind of shady to me that all of the sudden they're doing a 180 and embracing gun ownership.

I dont want a single leftist to be armed in any way. They cant be trusted.