And the first M17 candidate is...RANGE REPORT

It left San Pablo, CA, today at 3:23AM. Delivery is not expected until 1/4/12 at the end of the day. So much for having vacation time for stripping it and testing it.[frown]

MS

Last edited:
The M17 is here!

Pics tomorrow; I left the camera at school.

This is a BIG, heavy rifle. All parts are Eddystone save for bolt body (W), rear band (R), trigger guard (W), and floor plate (W). No real ID mark on stock when I had the rifle apart. I added the missing pieces; rear swivel, stacking swivel and screw, and sling. The Numich rear swivel I got was in tough shape with the screw buggered and frozen. The swivel was also too fat to allow the rear band to close tight enough to grip the stock (because it was R?). I spent some time grinding it down and rebluing to so I could tighten the band. I had to reuse the frozen buggered screw as the screw they sent me was an inch long instead of 1/4".

Bore is good+ on the 2/18 Eddystone barrel with a couple of rough spots; but it is shiny and the rifling is the deepest and lands the thickest of any bore I have seen. Bolt came apart easily after I found out how on SR. It feels funny to have a cock-on-close bolt - I haven't had one since my SMLE.

MS

Last edited:
Here are the pics. Light was fading and it was COLD. Couldn't get a great pic of the barrel date (E 2/18) or the bore. The bore is better than the pic looks; it is clean and bright and what seems like dirt are shadows of very deep rifling. They built these things like a tank. I hope it shoots as good as it looks; it accepted a Springfield stripper of rounds and fed and ejected them without a problem. M07 reproduction sling, "HOYT 1917".

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

024.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Range report:
40 degrees, cloudy, moderate breeze.
HXP; 50% 1971, 25% 1978, 25% 1965, 1973, 1976, 1977.

1st 5 rounds benched at 25 meters on a .5 inch MOA target. Nearly Perfect.
10 rounds standing, 25 yards, hasty sling (not shown)
10 rounds at 100 meters, standing with hasty sling; 1st 3 high, adjusted rear sight 1 click up. (second target)

Bore didn't clean out any better after firing. So it's a little rough, but the crown is great and I'm pleased with the rifle.

001-7.jpg
013-2.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Brought the rifle to a friend's house and we performed an electrolysis cleaning of the barrel. Did two 15 minute sessions; used a 9V battery, 50% vinegar and water, and 2 alligator leads.

When I got home I used a brass brush, CLP, patches, jag, and bore snake. Got a little dark for a good pciture, but bore looks brighter.

008-6.jpg

007-6.jpg

012-2.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Last try at a bore pic. I can't seem to get a great one. Took advantage of a beam of sunlight coming in through the window while I was putting the Garand away. Curtain, paper, book, and napkin to block some light. Bore looks fairly decent now.

MS

013-3.jpg

010-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've been chatting with a GB member about the M17 stock. It seems the stock is an Eddystone-spec contract replacement (based on the sharp bolt cut-out) by the American Billiard and Bowling company with the 'A' in the channel. The '40' stands for a long stock (40 inches).

018.jpg

013-1.jpg

011.jpg

Good commentary on its WWII arsenal refurbishment condition. The same company also made the stock for Remington on my 03-A3.

MS

Last edited:
Thanks for taking us along on this journey of yours. I've just started collecting as I now live only about an hour away from the Port Clinton CMP store (very dangerous indeed). I look forward to quizzing the MilSurp community on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom