"...and be sure the barrel is free of obstructions."

After taking my brand new Ruger 10/22 out of the box, I sure am glad exercised proper self-control and cleaned it before firing it.

photo.jpg

That's about 6" of plastic tie that somehow had made its way into the bore. I can't figure out if it got in there in the factory or this rifle had been on display and it had somehow fallen in. Sure was surprised though.

You'd have been a lot MORE surprised if it did an Elmer Fudd and blew up into a "flower" with the barrel peeled back.

Nice catch...As a young, stupid 18 year old, (have changed a tad), I waited weeks for my HK93A2, ($625.00 brandy new back then), I took it from the dealer, it looked 'oiled enough', went to the sand pit, loaded a mag and fired. Thankfully the gun didn't blow up, but the cardboard rod in the barrel was certainly a surprise...

Maybe the remnants of an empty chamber indicator? I had orange plastic in the barrel of a gun that came from a zip tie used for that purpose.

Or maybe it's so some crazy gun nut doesn't go berzerk and try to shoot up a playground on his way home from the evil gun store.

Back
Top Bottom