An Old War Horse

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I picked up this off GunBoards last week, an 1897 M1891 Carcano rifle. I had missed out on a nicer one at nearly twice the price, but as we like to say, this one screams 'been there, done that.' I sold my 1944 M38/43 TS 8mm conversion to get this - it only lasted 14 minutes on Gunboards before it sold.

This is a well-used old warhorse still in its original long rifle configuration, and chambered in 6.5mm Carcano. This rifle was made at the Torre Annuzia Arsenal in 1897 with serial number VX791. This rifle was re-arsenaled, repaired, or rebuilt several times. The stock had been replaced at some point as its original serial number had four numbers. There are four nice period splice and peg arsenal stock repairs at the toe, top of tang, front and lower band. I will repair the crack in front of lower band on left side with glue as its too thin for a peg. There is an arsenal ‘star’ repair mark on stock and a re-arsenal symbol on the receiver. Bolt serial number ML3546 has been lined out. The barrel shows use but cleaned up well with strong rifling and only a little roughness. Carcano sling is an original I had from the T/S, I'm looking for an original long Carcano cleaning rod. Almost certainly saw service in both World Wars.

T

Last edited:
Turns out the crack had already been pinned once but split again. Just a little glue to hold it in place again. A little tough to take it apart, tons of greasy dust and some surface rust. An oily rag, a little Kroil, and a Q-tip took care of things. Cycles and ejects fine.

T

Last edited:
Most definitely. My first was a retreaded M1870/87/15 Italian Vetterli originally a 10.35×47mmR single shot with black powder. In 1884 they were converted to a 4 round Mannlicher style magazine, and then again in 1915 on during WWI to 6.5 Carcano due to the shortage of arms. The only drawback was that the action was designed for black powder and not modern smokeless powder, and so not up to extended use.

Most definitely. My first was a retreaded M1870/87/15 Italian Vetterli originally a 10.35×47mmR single shot with black powder. In 1884 they were converted to a 4 round Mannlicher style magazine, and then again in 1915 on during WWI to 6.5 Carcano due to the shortage of arms. The only drawback was that the action was designed for black powder and not modern smokeless powder, and so not up to extended use.

Do the neighbors know to stay away from the other side of that fence? Just kidding, I realize only for display...

That round looks a lot like one of the current benchrest calibers.

Range report. 36 degrees, cloudy, no wind. Fired only three shots of Prvi. The extractor broke on the first round. Manually ejecting the case with a cleaning rod, I fired two more rounds when the front edge of the hand guard came off. Time to call it a day. Looks like the three hits were just high of a paper plate at 50 yards, at 11:30 and 1:30. I've a new extractor on order.

T

Range report. 36 degrees, cloudy, no wind. Fired only three shots of Prvi. The extractor broke on the first round. Manually ejecting the case with a cleaning rod, I fired two more rounds when the front edge of the hand guard came off. Time to call it a day. Looks like the three hits were just high of a paper plate at 50 yards, at 11:30 and 1:30. I've a new extractor on order.

T

Old dog like that is a good candidate for light cast loads.

Found out on another forum that this symbol on the receiver is a set of crossed rifles which means the rifle was marked for being extremely accurate.

T

Back
Top Bottom