~ An Interesting Auction Item . . .

In my travels I found this auction (ended) with a rather unique lever-action Browning rifle on the block. I post it here for those that may find it an interesting read also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

B308-111.jpg

Browning BLR, .308 cal. lever action, mfg. USA

Currently: 810.00 USD First Bid: 20.00 USD
Time Left: COMPLETED # of Bids: 22 (bid history)
Started: 01/08/10 19:45:00
Ends: 01/15/10 19:48:00​

Description

Browning Model BLR, .308 cal. lever action carbine. Serial #6K01523, mfg. 1966 only in Cleveland, Ohio - TRW. Very unique collector piece here.

Back in the mid 1960's Browning gave an order for the BLR to a nearby plant here in Cleveland to make the prototypes. Both .243 and .308 calibers were produced - about 200 or so. Our store is very close to Cleveland and lots of the guys who shoot with me worked on these and there are MANY stories about them. One of the stories from 1966 went something like this:​

The TRW workers busted their humps making this gun from scratch and one day the order came down that Browning was scrapping the order and all guns were to be destroyed. The word was the production of the BLR was moving immediately to Belgium because it was simply too expensive a gun to make in the USA.

So according to my sources, the engineer/forearm gathered all the workers together who had slaved on the project and said, "Well boys, let's quit for lunch and when I get back I don't want to see any more of these Browning rifles left in the plant. We've come too far and worked too hard not to enjoy the fruits of our labor." Some of the workers got out with four or five rifles. This particular consignor got two - one in each caliber (the .243 is Lot #71 in this auction) and these two guns have been in storage for 30++ years and never touched.​

Here's the rub and you need to understand this before you bid: These were PROTOTYPES and the order was not completed and perhaps not proofed. WE SELL THESE AS CURIOS ONLY AND DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT THEY BE FIRED. Some do not operate correctly. This specimen does not always drop the hammer down every time. The gun has a 20" carbine barrel with adjustable sights. Walnut straight grip stock with recoil pad. Excellent condition to look at it. I've seen all kinds of these and have even seen the original blueprint drawing floating around this part of the state (sadly I was unable to obtain it!). These are quite unique pieces and are clearly marked "Made In USA" and "Patent Pending" on the right side of the barrel. Correctly serial numbered and very collectible! Rare, rare, rare!​

Nice!
I've always been a big fan of lever guns, Brownings being my favorite.
I didn't know about this particular variation, thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom