Ammo Games at Walmart

I will never have less 1000 rounds of 9mm and 40 cal again. I always buy online 1000 at a time. i thought i had plenty when this crap happened. unfortunately i miscounted. my son and I shoot both all the time.

Just as it went crazy , i ordered 1000 40 caliber rounds thinking i was smart. i figured I would be out by time it showed up. I ordered it in december and they shipped it to me in april. ( a week ago).

good news bad news. THEY SHIPPED ME 1000 ROUNDS OF 45 CALIBER at 40 cal prices. I laughed when i read there were no returns. Well at least my 1911 won't go hungry for a while......

I love walking by the sporting good dept at the Ahmerst NH....always 1 or to long faced customers staring at the shot slug and the 17hmr wishing it was something else.

What do you think about the Walmart ammo app then? Is it basically useless? I went to Whitinsville yesterday too which showed stock and they said they were out too.

What do you think about the Walmart ammo app then? Is it basically useless? I went to Whitinsville yesterday too which showed stock and they said they were out too.

Once you learn the pattern your golden.

60% of the time, it works every time.

What I found that works:
Learn which stores currently show as OOS for calibers of interest, and then when they switch to IN STOCK or LIMITED STOCK, time to get moving. If you are new to the app and immediately see stores showing IN STOCK, odds are those are wrong.

There are a handful of store/caliber combinations that seem to be stuck showing as IN STOCK.
Those are wrong, maybe the boxes are lost out back, or were not scanned when sold, or stolen? Who knows...

But if you check most nights (11pm) or early morning (6am) and see stores switching from OOS -> IN STOCK, odds are you are about to score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once at the Natick Walmart, the sales guy blatantly said he'll buy them himself before they hit the shelves.

So what can we do ... support your local small businesses!

Once at the Natick Walmart, the sales guy blatantly said he'll buy them himself before they hit the shelves.

So what can we do ... support your local small businesses!
I just spoke with the clerk at Manchester NH, and he said company policy is that they cannot buy ammo on company time. (They also had about 11 boxes of Tula 7.62x39 at 7:30 am this morning.

Wallhack, do you have any idea why the folks at my local Walmart are still hiding certain boxes under the cash register in a locked cabinet? They aren't even hiding the sought after ones, i looked tonight (cuz the friendly kid was there lol) and it was crap like .17hmr, 22-250 and some shotgun stuff.

Wallhack, do you have any idea why the folks at my local Walmart are still hiding certain boxes under the cash register in a locked cabinet? They aren't even hiding the sought after ones, i looked tonight (cuz the friendly kid was there lol) and it was crap like .17hmr, 22-250 and some shotgun stuff.

Which store?

Silly question: did you try asking them?

of course not, just starting wondering... early on they were keeping 9mm .22lr and 5.56 there...now it's just weird. i'll ask, no worries

i really thought things were loosening up but not feeling like it now

The prices are just about the same somewhere like Shooter's Outpost--and no sales tax--so I just stop in there.

It's not worth it anymore to keep hitting up Walmarts in the hopes there might be some ammo.

yeah,i travel by four seasons as its next to a place i work sometimes so i've been buying, just wondering because i was getting lucky for a while at Wally's and its right near my house.

Just stopped by Framingham, the app still shows limited stock of .22 525 packs - nothing. Tge guy said it didn't make it to the shelves, whatever that means

Riley's in NH had boxes of 9mm and .45 and and wouldn't sell them, said they were out of ammo and when I pointed at the boxes sitting on the floor next to me they said I can go the next day and purchase, tonight they are not for sale. Walmart is not the only place were weird things happen. Everyone is taking advantage of this situation and act like douchebags.

^^This. I'm almost sure when a local shop gets ammo in stock, it is set aside for employees and friends. It's just human nature.

I got the run around at Amherst, NH walmart the past couple days. The app said they had Win 555 and Rem GB 225 "in stock" so I went by about 9pm on Sunday, the SG guy said it was on the truck and to come back @ 8am when it would be put out. So I was there yesterday @ 7:50. Guy said "its all gone" So I showed him the app that showed both kinds of .22 "in stock", he looked at me shrugged his shoulders, not a word and walked away. I almost went got the manager, not about the ammo, but the employee's attitude. But the app showed Hudson had some so I moved on and found it there, in the case, no BS.

On the app Amherst said "in stock" for both the Win & Rem until about 11am, then it went OOS all at once, no "limited quantity" just OOS. Amherst SG guy sucks. They sell to themselves and the dealers on Rt101a.

Last edited:
I got the run around at Amherst, NH walmart the past couple days. The app said they had Win 555 and Rem GB 225 "in stock" so I went by about 9pm on Sunday, the SG guy said it was on the truck and to come back @ 8am when it would be put out. So I was there yesterday @ 7:50. Guy said "its all gone" So I showed him the app that showed both kinds of .22 "in stock", he looked at me shrugged his shoulders, not a word and walked away. I almost went got the manager, not about the ammo, but the employee's attitude. But the app showed Hudson had some so I moved on and found it there, in the case, no BS.

On the app Amherst said "in stock" for both the Win & Rem until about 11am, then it went OOS all at once, no "limited quantity" just OOS. Amherst SG guy sucks. They sell to themselves and the dealers on Rt101a.

you have to be there by 7:00 they say 8 but if you show up then it will be gone

you have to be there by 7:00 they say 8 but if you show up then it will be gone

Then why would he tell me 8, thats just dishonest. Either way, it still said "in stock" until late morning. It was there, but I wasn't wasting my time arguing.
When I bought from Hudson it went from "In stock" to "limited" in minutes.

Last edited:
The app doesn't update in real time. There is a lag from when something goes out of stock and when the app shows it. I've bought the last 3 boxes before in the morning and the app didn't update until later that afternoon. I've also walked into walmart even when the app said out of stock and saw PPU 9mm in the case. PPU isn't on the app but it was on the shelf. It's just a roll of the dice sometimes.

The sporting good stores and walmart do this where I live, last time I bought primers I asked if there was .22 and all he had was .22 shorts, the guy behind me asked and another sales associate said oh yea you called earlier its out back. Alls I can say is I'm glad I have a reloading press and more primers than Ill use this year :). Sucks because the wife has a m&p 15-22 and I just got a .22 conversion for the ar last year and can't use either one now with our dwindling supply of .22lr... sigh I remeber a few months ago when walmart had a full shelf of federal bulk packs and I passed on buying any

Back
Top Bottom