Ammo for my new AR

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I'm another one who just got an AR15 to beat any ban. I'm wondering if any of you folks could clue me in to where you are getting good prices on ammo?

I very curious about out of state deals who will ship here. Please don't post it on this forum, but I'd really like to know, especially if I can save some money and buy more ammo.

I'd also like to do the same with .45ACP and 9mm.

Can anyone help me out with a few suggestions, please.

Thanks

Bill depicts at comcast.net

Seriously,there are no good deals on 5.56 right now.There hasn't been for quite some time,in state or out of state.

Put it this way,i know the dealers who will send to MA,and I can also get anything I want from anywhere shipped to a strategic location in NH.I haven't bought any 5.56 online or at a dealer in quantities over 1K in quite some time.

I'm glad I stocked up.

There are deals to be found on 5.45,that's about it.

I broke down and got a 500 round case of Federal at the Holbrook show for $150. Compared to what I've seen it going for I figured it wasn't bad for commercial ammo. I've been saving the brass and will be reloading this when I get my lazy ass into it.[laugh]
Anyone have input on the Radway Green ammo? I've got some left along with the Guat stuff but haven't shot it in my AR yet.

I broke down and got a 500 round case of Federal at the Holbrook show for $150. Compared to what I've seen it going for I figured it wasn't bad for commercial ammo. I've been saving the brass and will be reloading this when I get my lazy ass into it.[laugh]
Anyone have input on the Radway Green ammo? I've got some left along with the Guat stuff but haven't shot it in my AR yet.

I tried some of the Radway Green, and I wish I had gotten more of it when it was widely available. It seemed to work better and cleaner than the Wolf ammo I was shooting.

Thanks for the replies here folks. If anyone else has any ideas for me I'd appreciate a PM or e-mail: depicts at comcast.net

thanks

Bill

I got a bunch of 5.56 Guate surplus at Collectors for $7.25/30 rounds - that was cheaper than anything I saw when I poked around online, not considering shipping or whether they even ship here. Not sure if that's a deal or not, but it seemed pretty reasonable to me.

I haven't had any problems with the 200 rounds or so I've shot so far, and I've heard good reviews from others. It makes a nice big flash & bang, and is just about as accurate as anything else I've shot so far (at 25 yards, at least - still haven't taken the AR outside yet).

for 9mm I've been finding the best prices on sale at Dick's - I picked up a couple cases of Remington UMC for $6 or $7/box.

Last edited:
If youre just looking for some cheap plinking ammo I have been buying Wolf poly coated stuff .223 from Dicks at 3.49 per 50. combine that with a 10% off coupon that should be coming around in the spring and its a $165 case.

It;s recommended that the chamber be cleaned between firing wolf steel case and then any brass cased stuff because of the expansion of steel is not as great as brass. This will lead to a dirtier chamber and a tight fitting brass case after expansion.

There are no more deals on ..223 / 556. Wolf is the cheapest but
even it has gone up.

About the only non crap ammo (wolf works, but it's still crap. :) )
left that is remotely approaching a deal is probably the Guat milsurp, i
f you can buy it in quantity. Even that is expensive compared to
what it used to be.

-Mike

id stay away from the wolf. i bought 500 rd at the danvers gun show and I was having failures to extract after 200 rounds. theres an onion peel like film that comes off the heated spent casings that builds up in the chmaber causing this.. Whats worse is the hard steel casings take the anodizing right off your brass deflector, which of course will lead to premature corrosion and failure of the upper before its time..
not worth the money saved imho.
If you do shoot it, put a couple strips of black electrical tape on your deflector and clean your bore every couple hundred rounds.

Last edited:
id stay away from the wolf. i bought 500 rd at the danvers gun show and I was having failures to extract after 200 rounds. theres an onion peel like film that comes off the heated spent casings that builds up in the chmaber causing this.. Whats worse is the hard steel casings take the anodizing right off your brass deflector, which of course will lead to premature corrosion and failure of the upper before its time..
not worth the money saved imho.
If you do shoot it, put a couple strips of black electrical tape on your deflector and clean your bore every couple hundred rounds.

I noticed my deflector anodizing was chipped off in a spot shooting a bunch of brass last week. [frown]

I noticed my deflector anodizing was chipped off in a spot shooting a bunch of brass last week. [frown]

That's bizarre... maybe a crappy anodizing job? Dunno how that process
works. I have a bunch of brass marks on my colt, but thats about
it.. its otherwise black underneath it.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom