• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Cans. What's your preference?

What material ammo can do you prefer?

• Old School Steel

Votes: 66 84.6%
  • Modular Plastic

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
Was kind of curious, what is your preference for ammo can material? Are you a steel person or modular plastic? I hit the deal on GearHog last month for smartreloader modular #50 ammo cans (limit 4, I bought 4), and have decided to get more.

I have the steel ones as well, but am looking to transition from one to the other (modular)....

Made out of HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene - the same material the vehicle's fuel tanks are made of) this Can is just great way to store buy or boxed ammo or anything else you want to be safely protected.

http://shopping.na1.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.3691722/sc.26/category.1171/.f

VBSR628.gif VBSR629.gif VBSR629-3BLACK.gif VBSR629-3.gif VBSR629-1.gif

Free shipping too.

Last edited:
Old school steel .50 call ammo boxes and some 30's as well.

IMG_3748_zps13d99cde.jpg

Last edited:
Made out of HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene - the same material the vehicle's fuel tanks are made of) this Can is just great way to store buy or boxed ammo or anything else you want to be safely protected.

Perhaps I should have been more descriptive.

Both. I have some plastic MTM brand ones and think they are pretty good. I also have metal surplus ones.

one big advantage to the plastic ones if you store on your basement floor is that if you have high humidity in the summer or ever get any water is that they don't rust or leak. Not sure if you dropped a half full plastic case from a reasonable height if it wouldn't crack. Pretty sure the steel ones would just dent a little bit but stay intact.

- - - Updated - - -

one big advantage to the plastic ones if you store on your basement floor is that if you have high humidity in the summer or ever get any water is that they don't rust or leak. Not sure if you dropped a half full plastic case from a reasonable height if it wouldn't crack. Pretty sure the steel ones would just dent a little bit but stay intact.

Good points.

Was kind of curious, what is your preference for ammo can material? Are you a steel person or modular plastic? I hit the deal on GearHog last month for smartreloader modular #50 ammo cans (limit 4, I bought 4), and have decided to get more.

I have the steel ones as well, but am looking to transition from one to the other (modular)....

http://shopping.na1.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.3691722/sc.26/category.1171/.f

View attachment 96374View attachment 96375View attachment 96376View attachment 96377View attachment 96378

Free shipping too.

When I first looked at those I wasn't sure if they were for ammo or craft supplies.

Stupid question. Curious if most people dump out there boxes of ammo into the can (maybe line the can with bag) or keep the ammo in stacked boxes. I could fit more ammo in my cans if I removed them from boxes but have always kept them in the box. Any preference or reason why one would be better than another??

Personally I don't like dumping them out, I keep them in the box. Just seems too messy to me. In the box I find it easier to keep track of how much I shoot while at the range, etc. Also, say if I just want to take maybe 100 9mm, 100 40 and some 50 .357. Just grabbing the boxes and putting them in once can is easier than lugging around three full cans of each.

Stupid question. Curious if most people dump out there boxes of ammo into the can (maybe line the can with bag) or keep the ammo in stacked boxes. I could fit more ammo in my cans if I removed them from boxes but have always kept them in the box. Any preference or reason why one would be better than another??

I'm starting to fill cans with my reloads. Already have cans filled with factory ammo

I just started bagging with desiccant. 2-1/2 gallon ziplock. 1500 rounds 9mm per#50 can, 1000 .40, 1000 .223, etc...

Boxes are labeled by cal, grain, quan & casing. Those are my long term caches

Last edited:

I keep ammo in its original boxes - mostly just to keep track of what it is and its easier to grab the boxes for a trip to the range then to grab handfuls. I did consolidate my loose CMP 30-06 from a bunch of small .30 cal cans to one large can to save space

I keep them in the original boxes. Say you happen to get a bad batch, you can isolate the batch. If you dump all the ammo together, and end up with squibs randomly scattered among a can of bulk ammo, you'll have no idea how to get the squibs out, or even figure out if the problem is with the ammo or the gun.

another vote for steel, can't beat it. I store my bulk stuff loose in the cans, also keep a bunch of Ar mags in a can. I only use plastic ones for transport to the range.

I am old school I like the metal cans plastic ones are cheap but locking them is the same as locking a ziplock bag a flat head screwdriver can pry em open. As for the wet basement floor issues I put big ziplock bags in the ammo can and seal it.

I mostly use 50 cal steel cans. Most of mine just have ammo in original boxes. I've got some full of loaded stripper clips in Chinese bandoliers, and I have a couple full of loaded magazines with a label on the outside that says 'baby pictures'.

A couple of years ago they were selling 50 cal cans at the Manchester show, two for $15.

Steel all the way. I've got a good supply of .30/.50 cal boxes, a bunch of Bundeswehr issued 250 rd MG belt boxes, an original .30 cal w/ flaming bomb mark from WWII and I'm far from stopping to buy whenever some pop up at a (very) reasonable price.

I like both plastic and steel. Where's the 'Both" vote button?
Just depends on what I am using it for. Carrying to the range is easier in a plastic one. I like the steel ones for storage.

I keep mine in their original boxes. Easier to grab, use and know if there is any issues with them.
Hubby just willy nilly dumps any which ones in together. Drives me nuts. I need them nice and orderly. Hence, why we have his and hers ammo cans.

Last edited:
I have both... although all the plastic ones I have now have been confiscated by my son for all his nerf ammo.

Back
Top Bottom