Ames v. Taunton - Open to other Suggestions

As you may have guessed by the title, I want to join a club! I do have a short list of things i am looking for in a club:

• 24/7 Indoor Range
  • 200+ outdoor range
  • Under 40 minutes away

As you can see, this is an incredibly short list, but, oddly enough, a combination of these two is rare in my area. I live in Providence, so I've been looking at places like Manville, Ames, Taunton, East Warren, etc.

Many of them look gorgeous, but unfortunately, don't fulfill these criteria. Some have a nice long range, but no indoor, some, are the opposite.

I've rounded it down to two: Ames and Taunton

I've read up on the both of them and have found that they both have indoor and outdoor ranges. They both have long range outdoor ranges.

With Ames i've learned that the management isn't exactly the smoothest, but they do have a heated enclosure on their 300. I believe that when shooting indoors, you must shoot at 50ft only. Taunton may be like this, but i dont know.

Taunton seems to be filled to the brim with accepting and kind people, but I have seen that their 300 range requires further training, which isnt a problem, but its still something. Taunton also, and this is purely speculation, doesn't look as well kept as Ames does.

I am definitely open to more suggestions, there was a range that looked super nice, but their indoor was only opened 3 times a week and had a very odd schedule.

Also, whichever club i end up going with would get a website redesign my me because if its one thing i've learned through my research, a crack-shot does not a good website make.

comments? suggestions? invitations?
I have no qualms with visiting a range if invited.

As long winded as I am, im really just looking for variety and cool people :p

Last edited:
I can't say anything about Ames, but I'm a member of the Taunton one. They have a new indoor range that is really nice, all new Total Containment Trap (I believe that is what it is called) with water and vents and the whole shebang, they are going the other side of the indoor range over to match, so there will be one on either side.
One thing that may make a difference is that the rifle range and the pistol range are not in the same place. (Doesn't matter to me, but it may to some folk)
The indoor range is by key card, so open 24/7. The outdoor range I think is dawn till dusk.
As far as the 300 yard range, they do that to make sure you know what you are doing and not going to be so off target that you hit a house or something.
I've found the folks at Taunton to be VERY friendly and almost every time I have been there, someone has come up to talk to me inbetween my shoots.
They also allow prone at the indoor range (I think it's only the last stall though), but there are chairs and rests and everything.
While the taunton club may look "dated" with some wood panelling and such, don't let that fool you, it's a really nice club with a lot of great folks.
The other thing that people always ask me is "Can you rent guns and buy ammo there?" Answer is no. this is an unmanned club with no range officer unless an event is going on. There have been many times where I was the only one at all in the entire clubhouse.

No Renting is fine with me!

How far is the pistol range from the outdoor ranges?

edit: looking at it now, a few miles. How weird! You mentioned that there is one thats not open yet in another thread, is that because they are building one on the grounds of the open range?

Last edited:
I am a longtime Taunton member and I can tell you the facilities are state of the art and extremely well kept up Indoors as well as out. The indoor range is under extensive renovations as we speak with the "old" range (yes we have two) being completely rebuilt and updated. It is run by a very good group of people that are friendly and always willing to help another shooter out. I am sure we could arrange a tour so you can see for yourself.

Last edited:
Is it being built in the same spot?

and when will the renovations be done on the new range? and the new old range?

The new old range 2007 vintage is always up and running and is state of the art, clean and very well kept. The new new replacement for the old range is about 80% complete and should be ready for use in the next few weeks (it is located in the same spot, old one was torn down and a completely new range built. There is also a new kitchen and the clubhouse is getting some upgrades as well. There are also nice clean restrooms....

So it is open despite the renovations going on

Would any of you two be able to give me a tour this weekend? It's my understanding that there is a work party coming up on sat, so i might drop by if anybody is willing to take me around the place :D

I'm a newer Taunton member. It didn't take me long to decide at all. In fact, I feel lucky that the first one I came across was best. There is allot more to it than what you were listing and there are more ranges than I think you're seeing. Some require NRA membership, while others require volunteering time. Taunton doesn't have any of that. Simply sign up and go. I can't speak for Ames, but I'm sure you can do your own research and make a judgement call. I have friends over at Ames, but I don't want to be involved in the turmoil.

The outdoor range is open from 9 a.m. to sunset (look at weather channel) and 10 a.m. to sunset on Sunday and Sunday is trap day in the A-M.
The indoor is open 24 hours.

BTW, don't sweat the 300 yard. If you can shoot and hit with any kind of good rifle and know anything about ballistics at all you shouldn't have any problem getting on the 300.

Don't know if I'll be there this weekend yet, My wife works saturdays and I have to watch the kids. (too young for the range)
I'm seeing if I can maybe get a baby sitter for a few hours, but I won't know for a bit. bbarer may be able to though.

I am tied up this weekend but will be shooting bullseye there on Tuesday night, if you want just go there Friday night as there are usually board members there that will always show you around and help you with an application.

So it is open despite the renovations going on

Would any of you two be able to give me a tour this weekend? It's my understanding that there is a work party coming up on sat, so i might drop by if anybody is willing to take me around the place :D

Thanks.

Anybody, while i have you all here, have any tips for the RI resident wanting to shoot in MA?

I have zero problems with low-capacity magazines but i'd like to keep my options open

edit: talking about rifles that is

Last edited:
naterd00d, see the info in your other thread. You would also need to take a MSP Certified course, so there is another $100 down the toilet to get a MA NR LTC and the entire process will likely take you 4=6 months and then you start over again for next year's permit.

Looking to check the indoor range and grounds out...can any member have me as a guest this weekend? Might join on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom