• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Americans Set New Long Range World Record! 5,000 yards (2.84 miles)

I'm happy if I hit the bull at 100 yds...

How much water do you have to drink to get a stream that far??? [rofl2]

As for the 5k yard shot... 100% badass. Can't wait for them to hit the 6k yard shot they've got planned.

I'm decent at 100 yards with a rifle. Anything beyond that, I need higher powered scopes (above 9x). My eyes are just not that great anymore.

it's 40" target, probably good enough to hit a land whale. Shit, I can hit a car from 10000 yards, but it would probably take me a million rounds to do it.

This "record" needs to

1. Hit a reasonable, usable target, like an average size commie noggin, not some arbitrary 4 foot circle. (no one is that fat unless Kim or Moo)

2. Be consistent, i.e. hit the target 10/10 times in a row.

everything else is hype and publicity stunts.

it's 40" target, probably good enough to hit a land whale. Shit, I can hit a car from 10000 yards, but it would probably take me a million rounds to do it.

This "record" needs to

1. Hit a reasonable, usable target, like an average size commie noggin, not some arbitrary 4 foot circle. (no one is that fat unless Kim or Moo)

2. Be consistent, i.e. hit the target 10/10 times in a row.

everything else is hype and publicity stunts.

While I agree with what you are saying, wind is a major issue at distance. I was in NM shooting at 1200 yards with a 308. Hit 3 in a row, the 4th went right by 15 ft because of a gust of wind that I never saw.

Nice shooting!
An 8 inch Howitzer will do that and better all day long. That's the reason they are almost always called upon for "destruction type" fire missions, road junctions, buildings and other pin point targets.
The caliber is just inherently very accurate right out to max range.

Not to be shoulder fired....[smile]

Last edited:
That Charlie TARAC prism is quite a piece. 1500.00 buck not bad for a unit like that. Gives you up to 100moa extra depending how you have it set up.

The big problem is seeing your target.
36" at 600 yards is about my limit for my eyes.
Slightly improved when you look through the rear aperture. With optics this is improved but still hard to see 40" at 5000 yards. Most of us probably wouldn't see a 40" dot at 5000 yards anyway.

That Charlie TARAC prism is quite a piece. 1500.00 buck not bad for a unit like that. Gives you up to 100moa extra depending how you have it set up.

Actually, they are custom made. The shooter can choose any MOA or MIL shift that they want. They also have less expensive units, Alpha and Bravo, that offer lower shift amounts.

At 2.6 miles, I'm driving by, calling in artillery or air support, or getting in a truck to get closer to the target.[smile]

I believe some of the variants are:

Curvature of the earth.

Rotation of the earth.

How long was the bullet in flight?

Some soldier shot a guy from like 2 miles away or something and it took 10 seconds for the bullet to get there.

A comparison of those that and this OP shot needs to be made.

Don't get me wrong, that was one hell of a shot. But given the multiple rounds, the only variables he couldn't dial in would be variations in wind and the human factor. The human part can be reduced by firing from the bench and a really light trigger. As for the wind, it's not like he had a time limit or only one shot.

Still, it does speak well of the quality of the gun. Now that I think of it, the record say more about the gun and the gunsmith's skills than the shooter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I suppose a 5k shot is a nice achievement. I just question what it’s useful for, other than just to say “look what I did!”

When I had an 81mm mortar platoon, a 5,000 meter shot was lights-out, and if I was actually trying to hit a guy at that range, I’d take a pair of E3s on a mortar tube over a navy SEAL with a rifle every time. Probably a cheaper kill when everything’s taken into account, too.

In regard to glass, the team used a Nightforce NXS 12-45 x 56 that was set on 21 power.
To get the necessary 419.6 minutes of angle to make the shot...
So they used 21x magnification. I've always said you don't need any more magnification than necessary to make aiming errors less than the shooting errors.

They had the scope set for 420MOA of come-up?!?!?!?!? That's 12 times more than I used to use with my 30-06 at 1,000yards. If my math is right he was aiming 1,750 feet above the target[shocked] Actually that's only a 7degree up angle, but still, I've never heard of anyone even using 100MOA of come-up on the scope.

It's an amazing accomplishment, but there is a measure of luck involved. With a time of flight of 13 seconds, a little gust of wind is all it takes.

Last edited:
While I agree with what you are saying, wind is a major issue at distance. I was in NM shooting at 1200 yards with a 308. Hit 3 in a row, the 4th went right by 15 ft because of a gust of wind that I never saw.

When I qualified at the 1k Granby range I was using .223 and the wind gusts were +/- 1 MIL. At 5,000 yards what good is a kestrel at point of origin if the wind changes 10 times?

Mandatory: Is that round good enough for shooting deer at 5000 yards?

Last edited:
I suppose a 5k shot is a nice achievement. I just question what it’s useful for, other than just to say “look what I did!”

When I had an 81mm mortar platoon, a 5,000 meter shot was lights-out, and if I was actually trying to hit a guy at that range, I’d take a pair of E3s on a mortar tube over a navy SEAL with a rifle every time. Probably a cheaper kill when everything’s taken into account, too.

There is no use because the shot probably can't be repeated 3 times in a row. But, it is still very cool, probably a great learning experience and good teamwork.

Don't get me wrong, that was one hell of a shot. But given the multiple rounds, the only variables he couldn't dial in would be variations in wind and the human factor. The human part can be reduced by firing from the bench and a really light trigger. As for the wind, it's not like he had a time limit or only one shot.

Still, it does speak well of the quality of the gun. Now that I think of it, the record say more about the gun and the gunsmith's skills than the shooter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That rifle probably puts 10 rounds through the exact same hole at 100. I can't imagine a 6 oz trigger though, it's almost thinking to shoot and gun goes bang.

The article states that the rifle shot 1/4 MOA at 100 yards.

Really? 1/4 inch at 100 yards, x10 *magic*, 2.5 inches at 1k, 12.5 inches at 5k yards.

40 inch target, leaves 27 inches to spare in any direction. Assuming nothing changes between shots. As others have stated, any gust of wind will move the bullet a LOT at that range. I'd also like to know how much heat changes it's precision as you fire followup shots.

Personally, I thought the gun would be more precise at 100 yards, 1/4 MOA is good, but not completely out of the ordinary. I've shot guns that have the holes touching at 100, so it can't be that uncommon, maybe lucky strings. No one I know has what I'd consider a 'high dollar' gun.

Really? 1/4 inch at 100 yards, x10 *magic*, 2.5 inches at 1k, 12.5 inches at 5k yards.

40 inch target, leaves 27 inches to spare in any direction. Assuming nothing changes between shots. As others have stated, any gust of wind will move the bullet a LOT at that range. I'd also like to know how much heat changes it's precision as you fire followup shots.

Personally, I thought the gun would be more precise at 100 yards, 1/4 MOA is good, but not completely out of the ordinary. I've shot guns that have the holes touching at 100, so it can't be that uncommon, maybe lucky strings. No one I know has what I'd consider a 'high dollar' gun.

Consistent 1/4 MOA requires a top shelf barrel properly bedded in a stable stock and super high attention to detail for reloads. I've done it with a stock Windham VEX after some barrel lapping, so I agree that 1/4 MOA is not out of the ordinary. 3 or even 5 shot groups at 1/4 MOA not too difficult with the right equipment and ammo. To keep shooting 1/4 MOA after many rounds not so easy.

Those of us who shoot at 1,000 can hit a 12 x 12 plate & it's certainly challenging enough to make a first shot hit on call after hitting a target at some other distance. That 40" plate at 5000 I'm going to say would be equivalent to 8 x 8 at 1000, assuming consistent environmental conditions. Think of consistently hitting a penny (0.75" diameter) at 100 yards. Reasonable with decent equipment and ammo, but you're not dealing with environmental factors.

Coriolis effect and wind drift become a factor beyond 1000, but those factors can be solved with math. Properly gauging the wind is what impresses me- I'm not there yet.

I guess I'm missing the point of this. Was the exercise dine to just be able to hit the 40 inch target?
Throw enough bullets at it and you'll eventually hit it.
Repeat it, and I'll be impressed. 5 of ten and I'll be impressed.

It sounds like there's a lot of agreement on that. Three comments mention that this is inn their plan for 6K "soon"

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom